just imagine if uconn wasnt 4-0 vs ky/duke | The Boneyard

just imagine if uconn wasnt 4-0 vs ky/duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
since 1998, there have been 9 final fours involving kentucky/duke both. we stopped them each twice, the other 5 times....you know how it ends
This is why i dont understand some of the over top hate/obsession by some of those two programs. Before 99 i understood the duke hate/envy. But now? I dont get it. We`ve made duke and uk our b#tch since 99..

Reaction Score
The rest of the college basketball world should hail us as heroes. Wisconsin is the only other school to beat either Dook or UK in the Final Four.

Since 1999, Dook and UK are 0-4 in the FF against us, and 9-1 in the FF against everyone else.

As a Giants fan, this is similar to how nobody else can stop the Patriots in the Super Bowl except us.

Reaction Score
since 1998, there have been 9 final fours involving kentucky/duke both. we stopped them each twice, the other 5 times....you know how it ends
AMEN!!

Reaction Score
The rest of the college basketball world should hail us as heroes. Wisconsin is the only other school to beat either Dook or UK in the Final Four.

Since 1999, Dook and UK are 0-4 in the FF against us, and 9-1 in the FF against everyone else.

As a Giants fan, this is similar to how nobody else can stop the Patriots in the Super Bowl except us.
As a Pats fan, I have to respect your point. The Giants are like Uconn.....they don't go every year, but when they do, they usually win.

Reaction Score
As a Pats fan, I have to respect your point. The Giants are like Uconn.....they don't go every year, but when they do, they usually win.

As a UConn/Giants/Sox fan, it's been feast or famine for the last 5-10 years, absolutely no middle ground. The end of each year brings either elation or disgruntlement.

Reaction Score

I didn't realize the Pats went every year?

Reaction Score
As a UConn/Giants/Sox fan, it's been feast or famine for the last 5-10 years, absolutely no middle ground. The end of each year brings either elation or disgruntlement.

How the hell did the Sox make it into your tool bag? So you're a pretty good guy, not great?;)

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Tenspro2002, post: 1288762, member: 889"

[/QUOTE]

I'm not really into marketing or salesmanship but seeing we can't sell the Big East, Madison Square Garden, Big Monday, anymore, this fact should be a central point in our recruiting. The cornerstone of it. That is not a small fact seeing KY and Duke will always be there now with the age limit and the way they recruit.

Reaction Score
I'm not really into marketing or salesmanship but seeing we can't sell the Big East, Madison Square Garden, Big Monday, anymore, this fact should be a central point in our recruiting. The cornerstone of it. That is not a small fact seeing KY and Duke will always be there now with the age limit and the way they recruit.

Recruiting new fans, maybe. Not recruiting players. High school kids don't give a s*** about winning titles, just what gets them exposure and a high draft pick.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Recruiting new fans, maybe. Not recruiting players. High school kids don't give a s*** about winning titles, just what gets them exposure and a high draft pick.

I wish more people understood this.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize the Pats went every year?
Huh? I didn't say that at all. Was grudgingly giving Giants fan credit for knocking Pats off twice. Giants = Uconn....don't go every year, but when they do, they make it count.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Preach!

Reaction Score
How the hell did the Sox make it into your tool bag? So you're a pretty good guy, not great?;)

Comes with growing up in the border region (central CT). There are a lot of us cross-overs. Many of my high school friends were Yankees/Patriots fans (making the early 2000's absolute torture).

I don't care for Boston and I don't care for New York, but I love my Sox and my Giants (and my Huskies, obviously).

Reaction Score
Recruits don't care about winning national championships? HUH?

My eyes are bleeding from the stupidity.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Recruits don't care about winning national championships? HUH?

My eyes are bleeding from the stupidity.

Then why do Texas A&M and Florida State have 4 Top-100 recruits apiece coming in for 2015?

Why do top recruits flock to a Kentucky program that's won one title since the 1990s? The same question can be asked of Arizona as well.

Reaction Score
Then why do Texas A&M and Florida State have 4 Top-100 recruits apiece coming in for 2015?

Why do top recruits flock to a Kentucky program that's won one title since the 1990s? The same question can be asked of Arizona as well.

Because there are more players than available scholarships. Why aren't those players going to UConn, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, or UNC since all are much better at putting players in the NBA than TAMU or FSU?

Look, some recruits care about more than winning a national championship. But to say they only care about getting to the next level, when 95% of them won't ever make the next level is mind-numbingly stupid. There are over 100 quality recruits every year. Only 60+ get drafted yearly, and they're competing not only against college players, but international players too.

You really think those kids at Kentucky, a program that has been to 4 final fours in 5 years didn't think they were going to win a national championship. Please just stop with the insanity.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Because there are more players than available scholarships. Why aren't those players going to UConn, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, or UNC since all are much better at putting players in the NBA than TAMU or FSU?

Look, some recruits care about more than winning a national championship. But to say they only care about getting to the next level, when 95% of them won't ever make the next level is mind-numbingly stupid. There are over 100 quality recruits every year. Only 60+ get drafted yearly, and they're competing not only against college players, but international players too.

You really think those kids at Kentucky, a program that has been to 4 final fours in 5 years didn't think they were going to win a national championship. Please just stop with the insanity.

Do you think these kids are thinking about this from the perspective of an adult college basketball fan?

No. They're literally children who are surrounded by the buzz and bright lights of AAU and prep school. They don't care how unrealistic their dreams are or how small of a shot they have to make the NBA, they're going all in.

My thoughts aren't insane. If you want something to label as insane, look at the entire recruiting process: these decisions are being made by 17/18 year olds, a cohort that doesn't tend to have good judgement even without money, fame, girls, and sneakers being dangled in front of them. You can't look at this from the vantage point of a middle-aged dude on a UCONN fan forum, because if you do, you're just going to be in a constant state of anger and confusion.

And I don't think that any one player on Kentucky's roster (aside from their 2 3-star bench players and the walk-ons) came there with the intention of winning a championship. They came because they bought into the hype that UK is their easiest path to the NBA. Of course everyone on the team cares about it as long as they're a part of the program. But when Towns, WCS, and Lyles are making millions in the NBA, not winning an NCAA title won't be a blip on their radar screen.

Reaction Score
Before they become 17/18 year olds making these decisions, they are kids playing a game, and they grow up fans of players, college programs, and NBA teams.

Unless you think Enoch grew up a fan of UConn because of the "exposure" it could get him rather than the championships we won while he was watching as a fan.

Tyus Jones called Coach K after Duke lost to Mercer and told him that wouldn't happen this year. Please just stop. The chance to win championships is a factor.

Regardless of what you assume to know, some of these kids are actually intelligent and can make informed decisions about their future that balance their desire to play for a winning program, their relationship with the coach and their potential future as a pro.

To pretend that the NBA is the ONLY thing they care about in the recruiting process defies logic.

You name three guys on a program out of the hundreds of recruits in college basketball as if that proves anything. You think Townes, WCS, and Lyles wouldn't be on the NBA radar at any one of 40-50 schools? Those guys could pick any one of the top 15 programs and be a sure fire first round picks. They all chose the squid for a number of reasons, one of them is they believed they'd be the best team in college and win a national title.

Amazing that you'd mention the one title since the 90s and ignore the 4 final fours in five years.

Reaction Score
Huh? I didn't say that at all. Was grudgingly giving Giants fan credit for knocking Pats off twice. Giants = Uconn....don't go every year, but when they do, they make it count.

I was having fun gb, that's all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak