Just about at peace with all this..... | The Boneyard

Just about at peace with all this.....

Reaction Score
I was a big college football fan. In fact, I didn't watch or care much for the NFL. There was something about college football that was very different. Tradition, pageantry the great stories about the improbable. It was a lot of fun watching UCONN step up and have meaningful success in the Big East and get to the Fiesta Bowl. The ride down wasn't much fun, but there was always hope.

Today is much different. NIL and the portal have completely changed the identity of college football for the programs, players and fans. Player and program development have given way as a priority to establishing funding programs under the guise of NIL to attract and retain the best talent. School and program loyalty are non-existent as players use unfettered free agency to maximize economic gain. And academics............please.

I don't begrudge the players making money, although I do think many will be taken advantage. But, this just does not hold any appeal to me. Even if UCONN gets the funding it needs to compete I doubt I will find nearly the enjoyment I did years back. I will continue to watch college football, but it will be a passing interest. The passion is gone for me.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry an absolutely beautiful thing like college football has been ruined for you. many feel the same way.
I do believe a day of reckoning will come for this industry that masquerades itself as an altruistic organization for the benefit of young men and women (still children in my view, but legally adults, yeah yeah 18+ blah blah).

but that day is probably not in the near future.

Reaction Score
It's a battle of the mercenaries. No more enjoyment from watching the "bleed blue" guys as the "bleed green" guys dominate. Can't blame them. If my family was living month to month then I would be moving around too.

Reaction Score
I don't begrudge the players making money, although I do think many will be taken advantage. But, this just does not hold any appeal to me. Even if UCONN gets the funding it needs to compete I doubt I will find nearly the enjoyment I did years back. I will continue to watch college football, but it will be a passing interest. The passion is gone for me.
what did you think the players making money would look like? It was always going to look like this

Reaction Score
what did you think the players making money would look like? It was always going to look like this
No, it was not always going to look like this. There were many proposals and discussions about treating football players like unionized grad students, where the NCAA would set a rate (or maybe a few rates depending on the level) and schools would pay their players that amount. So you couldn't leave just to make more money than you were getting. But in delaying doing this, we got the current joke of a system that was designed to do something totally different than it is currently doing. It was designed to let businesses pay players for value the businesses were getting from the players NIL. Not just an excuse for boosters to provide money as taxable income rather than in paper lunch bags.

Reaction Score
No, it was not always going to look like this. There were many proposals and discussions about treating football players like unionized grad students, where the NCAA would set a rate (or maybe a few rates depending on the level) and schools would pay their players that amount. So you couldn't leave just to make more money than you were getting. But in delaying doing this, we got the current joke of a system that was designed to do something totally different than it is currently doing. It was designed to let businesses pay players for value the businesses were getting from the players NIL. Not just an excuse for boosters to provide money as taxable income rather than in paper lunch bags.

Exactly right. The current situation is the result of inept leadership and greed. College athletics is completely disconnected from the mission of these educational institutions.

Frankly, the more I discuss it the disillusioned I get.......

Reaction Score
Sign of getting old I guess but I completely agree with this. What made college sports special was community, almata, and school pride. I never thought I would ever be ok with dropping to FCS but if the games were kept on TV and there was a reasonable size on-campus stadium with tailgating, regional rivals ... and our program is at the top of its conference and ranked I would honestly enjoy college football more at this point. At least it would have the college vibe. Harvard Yale etc seem more appealing than most of these mega games. We already have an NFL and NBA. The amount of sensationalizing every game day and the insane money being pumped into it ruins authenticity or at least the illusion of it.

Basketball may be a top 5 program this year, and I'm probably in the minority, but I've never cared less about it than I do now. I have great memories of camping out for tickets, the blizzard game vs. Pitt, Calhoun's 500th win, the first-ever ESPN college basketball game day, etc. Yet Friday I chose a documentary with the wife over the UConn-Kansas game. I can't even remember half the players' names on the roster and honestly, does it even matter anymore?

Reaction Score
No, it was going to always look like this. Once amateurism is gone why should they be stopped from accepting money from any and all sources?

Reaction Score
No, it was going to always look like this. Once amateurism is gone why should they be stopped from accepting money from any and all sources?
Because the NCAA is allowed to set rules for players? Believe it or not, the "rule" is still that players can't take gifts from boosters.

Reaction Score
Because the NCAA is allowed to set rules for players? Believe it or not, the "rule" is still that players can't take gifts from boosters.
Yes but as we have noted these rules are quite a farce and were somebody were to do the hundred dollar handshake the ncaa would relent

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Broadly speaking, I am at peace too. Was pretty down about it all mid season, but now I am in recovery mode. Our place is our place and where we go is really up to our NIL boosters (thank you to those who do the financial lifting!) and the capacity of the school to fund it all. It is what it is.

So my time allocation to college football is down, passion to watch non UConn games is down and alternatively I spend more time on other things and more time watching the NFL again. No "program" in the NFL is trying to breakaway and take all the economics with them.

I still watch a good amount of CF, just a lot less than before and I carry a lot fewer opinions about it all. Florida St was locked out? Dang - whatever. Watch a full game or consider any game must watch? - nope.

Reaction Score
A wage paid to players that was the same at all schools was the way to go. Then allowing players to be able to make money off of their names being used in games etc. What has been created is way beyond that. Players changing teams each year based on bags of money. When the coaches at big schools football power wise complain about it you know there is an issue. Not to mention how players moving so much will maintain an academic major of any kind.

Reaction Score
A wage paid to players that was the same at all schools was the way to go. Then allowing players to be able to make money off of their names being used in games etc. What has been created is way beyond that. Players changing teams each year based on bags of money. When the coaches at big schools football power wise complain about it you know there is an issue. Not to mention how players moving so much will maintain an academic major of any kind.
You would need to collectively bargain with student athletes to come up with a wage structure. That means considering players employees and sharing revenue, which almost all schools would be against. It would also expedite the break from the have and have nots.

Reaction Score
Again, why would it or should it be limited to video games. Stop talking about this moral fantasy world and talk about the one we're in.

Reaction Score
You would need to collectively bargain with student athletes to come up with a wage structure. That means considering players employees and sharing revenue, which almost all schools would be against. It would also expedite the break from the have and have nots.
What stops the collectives from doing the same thing as they are doing now in that scenario?

Reaction Score
Sign of getting old I guess but I completely agree with this. What made college sports special was community, almata, and school pride. I never thought I would ever be ok with dropping to FCS but if the games were kept on TV and there was a reasonable size on-campus stadium with tailgating, regional rivals ... and our program is at the top of its conference and ranked I would honestly enjoy college football more at this point. At least it would have the college vibe. Harvard Yale etc seem more appealing than most of these mega games. We already have an NFL and NBA. The amount of sensationalizing every game day and the insane money being pumped into it ruins authenticity or at least the illusion of it.

Basketball may be a top 5 program this year, and I'm probably in the minority, but I've never cared less about it than I do now. I have great memories of camping out for tickets, the blizzard game vs. Pitt, Calhoun's 500th win, the first-ever ESPN college basketball game day, etc. Yet Friday I chose a documentary with the wife over the UConn-Kansas game. I can't even remember half the players' names on the roster and honestly, does it even matter anymore?
This is a little overboard, but I get it. As you age, you realize that sports just aren’t that important. Some people never have that realization because they find great joy in sports. I am still a big fan of both the basketball and football teams, but I don’t have near the passion for basketball that I used to. I used to feel sick when we played big games. Now, I’m a little nervous but that’s about it. I’ve moved on to worrying about my parents, my kids and my work. Basketball isn’t near the top of my priority list anymore. I’m pretty sure if I were 25 years old, it would still be way up there.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I think the NIL and portal may be good for UConn football. We don't have a long history of big time football, we are not in a conference, we don't have any football rivals; however, we have a state and fan base with money. This may be an opportunity for us to buy some legit players and win.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I just read that Caleb Williams is sitting out his bowl game for USC because he doesn't want to risk injury.

Similar to jumping to another team for more money...I can't blame the players...but it still stinks as a fan.

Reaction Score
I will add that I think the current model puts a significant part of the college football fanbase at risk. In other words, as the schools, media and conferences have allowed this to unfold, I think it's far from certain that they will hold their current markets together. NFL light holds little interest for me as a fan and I suspect I am not alone.

Reaction Score
I just read that Caleb Williams is sitting out his bowl game for USC because he doesn't want to risk injury.

Similar to jumping to another team for more money...I can't blame the players...but it still stinks as a fan.
Sorry, but USC isn’t the same team without Caleb.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I will add that I think the current model puts a significant part of the college football fanbase at risk. In other words, as the schools, media and conferences have allowed this to unfold, I think it's far from certain that they will hold their current markets together. NFL light holds little interest for me as a fan and I suspect I am not alone.
You are not alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom