JP Estrella Impresses at NBA Top 100 Camp | The Boneyard

JP Estrella Impresses at NBA Top 100 Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

“I have already visited Marquette and Tennessee, and will be doing Iowa and Duke,” he said. “I also have an unofficial to UConn.”

UConn: “They love my ability to get up and down, and that I have a soft touch in the paint. They also like that I can be in the pick and pop situation as well.”

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a great morning session for four-star post player JP Estrella but he sure bounced back well in the evening session. One of the biggest traps that skilled posts who can shoot like he can often fall into is settling for jumpers, but he doesn’t do that. He still operates comfortably in the post, scores with efficiency and while he’s not a traditional rim protector he still manages to be an effective low post defender because of some toughness and ability to put a wall up around the paint.

Reaction Score
Think this kid is going to rise fast, but ultimately is the big that we may have the best shot at (and would be a great fit). Just hope the big boys get some of the bigger boys.

Reaction Score

UConn: “I have a great relationship with the staff there. I went to a game, and the energy was crazy, so I want to get back and see what they’re all about.”

“The biggest thing for me is culture,” Estrella said. “I’ll be giving up my family, moving away, so I want to have another family in the program. I want to see if I can develop a great fit with the entire community of the school. So I’ll be looking at a lot of off-the-court stuff on my visits. But also, I want to go to a place that is a great fit basketball-wise too.

“… I’d like to commit before my season at Brewster starts.”

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Not many guys in basketball are as fortunate as Jon Scheyer. It’s always been my assumption that he got the job because he’s a guy who will still let Coach K have whatever role he wants versus an established coach who might bristle at having a legend still lurking, but man, talk about getting handed the keys to a Ferrari on your 16th birthday. If he’s even a halfway decent coach, Duke will be scary given the talent they’re bringing in.

Reaction Score
Not many guys in basketball are as fortunate as Jon Scheyer. It’s always been my assumption that he got the job because he’s a guy who will still let Coach K have whatever role he wants versus an established coach who might bristle at having a legend still lurking, but man, talk about getting handed the keys to a Ferrari on your 16th birthday. If he’s even a halfway decent coach, Duke will be scary given the talent they’re bringing in.
That was the report in Ian O'Connor's book.

In “Coach K: The Rise and Reign of Mike Krzyzewski,” O’Connor details how Krzyzewski manipulated Duke’s succession plan in order to ensure that assistant Jon Scheyer took over for him.

Harvard coach and former Duke player Tommy Amaker was the university’s first choice to take the reins of the program. However, according to O’Connor, Krzyzewski reached out to Amaker and asked him not to take the job.

The Zoom call left Amaker “heartbroken,” a source close to him told O’Connor. The book says that Krzyzewski believed he would have more control of the program with Scheyer at the helm.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

UConn: “I have a great relationship with the staff there. I went to a game, and the energy was crazy, so I want to get back and see what they’re all about.”

“The biggest thing for me is culture,” Estrella said. “I’ll be giving up my family, moving away, so I want to have another family in the program. I want to see if I can develop a great fit with the entire community of the school. So I’ll be looking at a lot of off-the-court stuff on my visits. But also, I want to go to a place that is a great fit basketball-wise too.

“… I’d like to commit before my season at Brewster starts.”

Someone call Glenn Miller…

Reaction Score
JP Estrella shared a Stephon Castle highlight video on Instagram today

Players do this all the time to hype up their friends/teammates' recent posts, but Estrella and Castle have no connection from what I understand. Unless.... they recently became friends at the NBA Top 100 Camp

Could be something... could be nothing... but an interesting interesting development for sure!
Estrella IMG_1197.jpg

Reaction Score
There's a 3 minute video interview of him in the beginning of the link below. Well spoken kid.

1. JP ESTRELLA, 6-11, MIDDLESEX MAGIC

Estrella is a late-bloomer who has grown 8 inches since his freshman year of high school. He has good hands and terrific natural touch. He’s at his best in offensive structure and really shines in the various actions that his Middlesex Magic squad runs for him. He has a definite passing instinct and shows flashes of being a high-level frontcourt facilitator. Physically, he’s still growing into his body a bit, which is to be expected for someone who has grown as rapidly as he has in recent years, and isn’t exceptionally long. He runs fluidly and is solid athletically for his size, but not yet super mobile. He’s also still in the process of building up his body, so there are times when the speed or physicality of the game can get the better of him. Inside, he has good footwork, both before the catch (where he can flip to hips to change the angle of his seal) and with the ball, as well as good dexterity and ability to score with either hand, but needs to be able to hold his spots consistently and simultaneously develop a higher release point on his jump hook (especially over his right shoulder). Estrella is already a shooting threat from behind the arc and is showing better loft on his ball from that distance than he did earlier in the spring, but is not yet a high percentage three-point shooter. Defensively, he rebounds his area effectively due to his size and soft hands, and will likely continue to evolve as he gets stronger. Similarly, he’s a solid shot-blocker, primarily from off the ball, but could also continue to emerge. Overall, Estrella projects as an inside-out big who is skilled, smart, and fundamentally sound, but still needs to keep filling out his frame, getting stronger, and developing along the same trajectory he’s been ascending on in recent years.

Reaction Score

UConn: “I talk to coach [Dan] Hurley and coach [Tom] Moore all the time. I crack jokes with them a lot. I went to one of the games against Villanova and they won it with a layup. It was the game coach Hurley got ejected. It was a great game though. The energy was just crazy, and you see a lot of big guys coming out of there too.”

Dan Hurley, Norm Roberts and Amile Jefferson were all spotted court side for a few of Estrella’s games at the UAA finals.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Reaction Score
that's great news but we still prob have to beat out kansas for his 5th OV. if we do i like our chances against the other 4 teams listed below.

JP Estrella, the No. 18 overall prospect in On3’s 2023 Class, will no longer officially visit Duke as planned on July 31st, a source told On3.

The assumption is that the Blue Devils are no longer in the mix.

The 6-foot-10 power forward from South Portland, Maine has already taken official visits to Marquette and Tennessee. He’s also scheduled to visit Iowa beginning tomorrow, July 28, and Syracuse on August 4.

Estrella will play his senior year at powerhouse Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
that's great news but we still prob have to beat out kansas for his 5th OV

JP Estrella, the No. 18 overall prospect in On3’s 2023 Class, will no longer officially visit Duke as planned on July 31st, a source told On3.

The assumption is that the Blue Devils are no longer in the mix.

The 6-foot-10 power forward from South Portland, Maine has already taken official visits to Marquette and Tennessee. He’s also scheduled to visit Iowa beginning tomorrow, July 28, and Syracuse on August 4.

Estrella will play his senior year at powerhouse Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H.
Officials reset for his Sr yr of HS. If he wants to visit the cap won't be an issue.

Reaction Score
Anywhere but Duke is a win, I hope that place goes to shambles. UNC already ended a rivalry with what they accomplished last year, just need them to whither away now

Reaction Score
JP Estrella shared a Stephon Castle highlight video on Instagram today

Can you educate us old farts on why Instagram (or FB, Twitch, etc.) post sharing could be significant, especially in the basketball world?

What could it be compared to?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can you educate us old farts on why Instagram (or FB, Twitch, etc.) post sharing could be significant, especially in the basketball world?

What could it be compared to?
It would be like you quote tweeting and praising a post here, but for a much wider audience. Shows a connection between them and presumably that you like the content (unless you mock it or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom