Men - Josh MacDonald Candidate At Penn State | The Boneyard

Men Josh MacDonald Candidate At Penn State

Reaction Score
Wow that’s a mighty large program to have as your first head coach gig. Resources are obviously there, mind boggling amount of instate talent. That would be a tough one to say no to…

Reaction Score
Did I once hear that his current position is as a volunteer, or am I crazy?

Reaction Score
If Coach Mac really wants to try his hand @ the helm of his own program, thank him and send him off to get some first hand skipper experience. He deserves the chance - not getting any younger.

Coach Penders/UConn will have options.

Reaction Score
If Coach Mac really wants to try his hand @ the helm of his own program, thank him and send him off to get some first hand skipper experience. He deserves the chance - not getting any younger.

Coach Penders/UConn will have options.
I wish him the best but recruiting would get even tougher for Northeast talent.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Been told to expect Josh to get this job. Great opportunity for him.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball currently has a coaching staff that has been together for the longest time currently in college baseball. Obviously, if Coach Mac takes the Penn State coaching job, that long coaching run will be over.

Reaction Score
With coach Penders track record, an opening on his staff would draw interest from a lot of talented fellows. Especially since staff are being promoted to big time head coaching gigs. A little shake up in the the staff is not necessarily a bad thing.

Reaction Score
With coach Penders track record, an opening on his staff would draw interest from a lot of talented fellows. Especially since staff are being promoted to big time head coaching gigs. A little shake up in the the staff is not necessarily a bad thing.

Actually it is rather amazing when any coaching staff on any team in any sport stays together for over a decade with nobody leaving. Change is bound to happen, no question about it. So now this summer, in addition to following UConn players in summer ball, and trying to keep up with the players coming into the program as well as potentially leaving the program, we now have possible changes happening with the UConn coaching staff as well to keep track of prior to the start of fall ball in Storrs in September.

Reaction Score
I think I feel better about our chances of keeping Mac from BC than Penn St? Maybe that's misguided. Deserves a shot at a big time head coaching job but selfishly would love to keep him

Reaction Score
I would think NE head coach would be attractive. One he is right there, had some success with smaller program and has head coach experience. I can’t see BC liking the optics of taking a number two guy at a local out of conference rival…

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I would think NE head coach would be attractive. One he is right there, had some success with smaller program and has head coach experience. I can’t see BC liking the optics of taking a number two guy at a local out of conference rival…

BC fans seem to think they have "no shot" at McDonald. I understand we are a better program, but...

Reaction Score
BC fans seem to think they have "no shot" at McDonald. I understand we are a better program, but...
No inside info but something seems fishy about the BC program. Both assistants left, one for “budgetary reasons” and now the head coach is taking a lateral move to Penn State. I think it would be fair if coaching candidates had some questions about the support they are going to get.

Reaction Score
No inside info but something seems fishy about the BC program. Both assistants left, one for “budgetary reasons” and now the head coach is taking a lateral move to Penn State. I think it would be fair if coaching candidates had some questions about the support they are going to get.
BC fans speak a lot about the lack of backing from the athletic department and Penn State has been viewed as a tough job so having your coach leave after your best year. BC even had an extension tweet about him posted the same day he was announced at another school

Reaction Score

Alternate access if needed<<

Reaction Score
Glavine from NU should get the BC job.
BC is in a long term downward spiral with their football and basketball teams. There is obviously no money to pay baseball coaches.

Reaction Score
Glavine from NU should get the BC job.
BC is in a long term downward spiral with their football and basketball teams. There is obviously no money to pay baseball coaches.

Reaction Score
Coach Mac and Kevin Vance mentioned (along w/ Glavine and two others)

-> Josh MacDonald, Connecticut

MacDonald, the 2022 D1Baseball Assistant of the Year, should be the top or one of the top options for the Eagles as their search for Mike Gambino’s replacement continues. The more important question is would MacDonald take the BC head coaching job? He was a finalist for the Penn State job, but the Nittany Lions are said to be making a much larger financial commitment to its program. BC would need to up the ante financially to hire MacDonald. With that said, he has been one of the premier pitching coaches, evaluators, and recruiters during his 12 seasons with Jim Penders and UConn. It’s not a matter of if for MacDonald — it’s when.

Kevin Vance, Arizona assistant/former BC assistant

Vance is a former UConn pitcher who also earned a master’s degree from Northeastern in Boston. Vance spent the past season as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator for the Eagles under Mike Gambino before heading to Arizona earlier this summer in the same role. Before that, Vance spent five seasons as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator at Rhode Island. Vance is a talented, younger assistant and could fit the mold of hiring a rising coach without breaking the bank so to speak. <-

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Coach Mac and Kevin Vance mentioned (along w/ Glavine and two others)

-> Josh MacDonald, Connecticut

MacDonald, the 2022 D1Baseball Assistant of the Year, should be the top or one of the top options for the Eagles as their search for Mike Gambino’s replacement continues. The more important question is would MacDonald take the BC head coaching job? He was a finalist for the Penn State job, but the Nittany Lions are said to be making a much larger financial commitment to its program. BC would need to up the ante financially to hire MacDonald. With that said, he has been one of the premier pitching coaches, evaluators, and recruiters during his 12 seasons with Jim Penders and UConn. It’s not a matter of if for MacDonald — it’s when.

Kevin Vance, Arizona assistant/former BC assistant

Vance is a former UConn pitcher who also earned a master’s degree from Northeastern in Boston. Vance spent the past season as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator for the Eagles under Mike Gambino before heading to Arizona earlier this summer in the same role. Before that, Vance spent five seasons as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator at Rhode Island. Vance is a talented, younger assistant and could fit the mold of hiring a rising coach without breaking the bank so to speak. <-
Vance left for a reason. I would be surprised if he came back. Coach Mac can have his choice of programs, not sure if BC and their dysfunctional athletic department is good enough for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom