Jon Scheyer says Duke will now schedule home and home series | The Boneyard

Jon Scheyer says Duke will now schedule home and home series

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict, get on the phone and make it happen.

"This isn't going to be a one-time thing," Scheyer told CBS Sports. "I want to schedule really good teams every season, whether it be Arizona or other big-time teams in the future."

In speaking to Scheyer, he was clear: He's talking about home-and-home series with some of the biggest schools in college basketball.

Arizona's only the start of it. Perhaps home-and-homes await in the future against the likes of Kansas, or Gonzaga, or Indiana, or UCLA, or UConn, etc.?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Just being honest. I don’t want a home and home series with Dook. I would rather just play them in the tourney. We have their number and too many regular season match ups could eliminate that mental edge we currently have. Think about it. If you asked 1000 Dook fans who do you not want to play in the tourney or more specifically the final four, I am thinking we would be the team they would think of. I prefer keeping it that way. I forget what year it was maybe 2009 we played them in MSG some early season tourney. We competed for awhile but there were some questionable calls, and my wife had to get me out of there because when Dook started winning and talking trash it was too easy. I remember saying you guys are a lot better in a meaningless early season tourney than the final four. Because if this was the final four we would be winning and you would be traveling or getting scorched in the second half by a better team. That almost led to blows. My wife grabbed me and we left, with me hurling insults to all the Dook fans in the area. Point being we have the edge right now. Regular season games would dilute that. Now I am ready for everyone to say how wrong this thinking is.

Reaction Score
Just being honest. I don’t want a home and home series with Dook. I would rather just play them in the tourney. We have their number and too many regular season match ups could eliminate that mental edge we currently have. Think about it. If you asked 1000 Dook fans who do you not want to play in the tourney or more specifically the final four, I am thinking we would be the team they would think of. I prefer keeping it that way. I forget what year it was maybe 2009 we played them in MSG some early season tourney. We competed for awhile but there were some questionable calls, and my wife had to get me out of there because when Dook started winning and talking trash it was too easy. I remember saying you guys are a lot better in a meaningless early season tourney than the final four. Because if this was the final four we would be winning and you would be traveling or getting scorched in the second half by a better team. That almost led to blows. My wife grabbed me and we left, with me hurling insults to all the Dook fans in the area. Point being we have the edge right now. Regular season games would dilute that. Now I am ready for everyone to say how wrong this thinking is.
O.K. you're wrong. How many times has UConn played Duke in the NCAA Tournament in the last 20 years? Once. Way back in 2004. The probability of them facing each other in the NCAA Tournament is pretty small. That is a lame reason not to schedule a home and home.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
as much as I would love to schedule a Home & Home with Duke, there would be nothing worse than seeing that game get played at XL instead of on campus at Gampel.
The game should be at XL. Why would we not schedule at a place that would allow 15k people to watch it live instead of 10k.

Reaction Score
Not just wrong, insane. I don't even know where to start with it. For one thing, I don't think players who were born 5 years after the 1999 championship game are going to be scared because we beat them a few times 20 years ago. Who cares if Duke fans want to or don't want to play UConn? It doesn't affect how likely we are to play in the NCAA Tournament or how likely we are to win if we play

Reaction Score
as much as I would love to schedule a Home & Home with Duke, there would be nothing worse than seeing that game get played at XL instead of on campus at Gampel.
Duke should be easy win at home since they play zero out of conference road games

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UConn is going to Cameron Indoor then the return game has to be at Gampel. Screw the extra 5,000 seats. They'll get enough from TV for this game.
Between the rental fee, the per seat charge and the loss of concession and parking revenue, the difference between a sell out at Gampel and a sell out at the XL is nominal.

Anytime the XL is less than a sellout, it costs us money in terms of out-of-pocket costs and lost revenue.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The game should be at XL. Why would we not schedule at a place that would allow 15k people to watch it live instead of 10k.
Because the team prefers to play at Gampel, it gives us a home court advantage in terms of not having to drive 30 minutes and stay at a hotel, and it gives us the opportunity to showcase our home gym and campus.

I will say a packed XL would be crazy loud against Duke, but Gampel is no slouch either.

Reaction Score

This would be a better argument if the fan bases were playing. There's no mental edge when you're talking about players that weren't even born the last time they played in the tournament.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dave Benedict, get on the phone and make it happen.

"This isn't going to be a one-time thing," Scheyer told CBS Sports. "I want to schedule really good teams every season, whether it be Arizona or other big-time teams in the future."

In speaking to Scheyer, he was clear: He's talking about home-and-home series with some of the biggest schools in college basketball.

Arizona's only the start of it. Perhaps home-and-homes await in the future against the likes of Kansas, or Gonzaga, or Indiana, or UCLA, or UConn, etc.?

I didn't even realize they didn't do this. KU does it, Kentucky does it, most programs do, even if they are selective about who they play. Is there an argument against it? Maybe in some distant past you could claim the ACC season was too tough, but that's nonsense. You'll play good teams in Maui or Charleston or whatever challenge you play, and you can add at least one tough OOC game to that.

Reaction Score
One of them sucker punched my brother walking out at that game and I got arrested that night lol. Stupid game

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Our Program was built on our deep hatred for Duke. Some of you are disappointing. I’ll take the home and home series immediately. I don’t care if they play it at a high school gym in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Just be happy if it isn't played at MSG.

That would be something. Storrs South vs Cameron North. That would be close to a 50/50 split maybe with a slight edge to Duke but have a feeling the Dookies in the city would really show out.

Definitely would prefer a Gampel-Cameron split

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That would be something. Storrs South vs Cameron North. That would be close to a 50/50 split maybe with a slight edge to Duke but have a feeling the Dookies in the city would really show out.

Definitely would prefer a Gampel-Cameron split
Absolutely. Just like with Kansas this year, UConn fans would go all out to see the Huskies in Cameron Indoor. That's way more special than neutral site.

Reaction Score
Because the team prefers to play at Gampel, it gives us a home court advantage in terms of not having to drive 30 minutes and stay at a hotel, and it gives us the opportunity to showcase our home gym and campus.

I will say a packed XL would be crazy loud against Duke, but Gampel is no slouch either.
Just raise the price to offset lost revenue

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom