John Fanta quote on where UConn will be in the BE next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John Fanta quote on where UConn will be in the BE next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An "A" player is generally an efficient player despite a high usage (or a playmaker who generates a high rate of highly efficient looks for others).

What that boils down to is an opportunity benefit: a surplus of per possession efficiency relative to a "B" level player using the same possessions.

An improved defense relative to last year can generate the same per possession efficiency surplus. So no, it's not the same thing, but it can net out to be the same.
Oh no, I get the math.

I'm just saying its not really what the discussion is about - Fanta is talking about the quality of individual players being superior and what that means to elevating them from the pack - not waves hands general improvement.

Reaction Score
No Bouk, but what we're talking about here are the number of losses. I just do not see this team of players losing many games. They have a bunch of qualities that will keep that from happening.

Reaction Score
Bottom line... it's a solid conference.
Or a very mediocre one. Mostly it looks pretty balanced. No evidence of quality except that once again Villanova is the cream of the crop. With Creighton and us potentially stepping back the battle to be Villanova’s maid of honor will be intense.

Reaction Score
IIRC.Fanta is the second oldest brand of Coca Cola...Introduced in 1940.. John Fanta is rolling the dice on 2021 season as we all are.

He's probably right on the unpredictability of next year's BE conference. IMO. Our freshman's positive impact on our season --along with Akok and AJ..Will be significant

The young guys will blend with our fifth year guys for a long run in the Tournament.Hoping everyone can stay healthy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not like teams from 10-20 years ago have anything to do with how this years team performs, but historically we have not had great seasons following the departure of our star player. 2000, 2005, 2012, and 2015 were very mediocre seasons, they all were coming off National Championships and we were ranked pretty high in the pre season polls, but never lived up to the hype because we clearly missed our alpha. Last year wasnt a Championship season, but we also had to adjust in 2003 without Caron Butler, 1997 without Ray, 2010 without AJ Price, Jeff Adrien, and company.

I think Bouknight had that effect on last years team, and even though we have a talented roster, I think it may take a little while for us to learn how to win and for everybody to find their roles.

Reaction Score
Not like teams from 10-20 years ago have anything to do with how this years team performs, but historically we have not had great seasons following the departure of our star player. 2000, 2005, 2012, and 2015 were very mediocre seasons, they all were coming off National Championships and we were ranked pretty high in the pre season polls, but never lived up to the hype because we clearly missed our alpha. Last year wasnt a Championship season, but we also had to adjust in 2003 without Caron Butler, 1997 without Ray, 2010 without AJ Price, Jeff Adrien, and company.

I think Bouknight had that effect on last years team, and even though we have a talented roster, I think it may take a little while for us to learn how to win and for everybody to find their roles.
It's easy to pick and choose seasons to fit a narrative either way. I'd argue we've lost the best player from the team every year of Dan Hurley's tenure and yet we've improved every season too

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It's easy to pick and choose seasons to fit a narrative either way. I'd argue we've lost the best player from the team every year of Dan Hurley's tenure and yet we've improved every season too
Interesting point. Let's see how it translates as bouk is a far superior player to cv and Jalen.

Reaction Score

Great point. We need Akok and Ajax to step up. If they do, RJ, Sanogo, Martin and Gaffney can play as expected and we’ll be very good. If Gaff steps up, we’ll be exceptional.

Reaction Score
Interesting point. Let's see how it translates as bouk is a far superior player to cv and Jalen.
In a normal year I'd be a lot more worried about losing Bouk, but we're going to have an incredibly experienced team (9th highest returning minutes for high major teams, though there's 4 BE teams in the top 10). I think in a year where there's been so much turnover that's going to be a big benefit, especially early in the season in the OOC games

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
In a normal year I'd be a lot more worried about losing Bouk, but we're going to have an incredibly experienced team (9th highest returning minutes for high major teams, though there's 4 BE teams in the top 10). I think in a year where there's been so much turnover that's going to be a big benefit, especially early in the season in the OOC games
Looking forward to it. Hurleys been talking a lot about overwhelming teams with our depth. I have a lot of faith in him as a program builder and his pieces are really starting to fall into place.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
From the news that's been coming out over the summer I think Jackson and Hawkins will be our go to guys with our bigs making a big impact. If Jackson can become a great slasher and Hawkins jumper is as advertised I feel confident with them on the wing. Sanogo, Whaley, Akok, and Samson in the paint is the best in the BE. So much of our success will be on how much AJax develops and how healthy Akok looks. I'm optimistic after hearing how much work Jackson is putting in and clips where it seems like he's trying to make it his team.

Reaction Score
Or we overestimate it. I'm not sure which. Akok needs to play like a star or second fiddle. Ajax has a lot of talent but learning to shoot is critical. Rarely does a kid that can't shoot, become a shooter. It is possible, but it takes coaching and then an outrageous amount of time shooting. Taliek Brown never learned to shoot and his work ethic was legendary.
One thing that makes me have faith in the development of Andre Jackson is that he clearly showed in his freshman season that he is a confident player. From his first appearance to his last, he was one of the most mentally invested players on the squad despite not putting up great numbers. The value of confidence is very high, and will be important in making Jackson have a defined role on the court.

Edit- But you are right, it's very difficult to develop a shooter. We're gonna just have to see how this rolls out.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to it. Hurleys been talking a lot about overwhelming teams with our depth. I have a lot of faith in him as a program builder and his pieces are really starting to fall into place.
Coachspeak. It means we will have a very good defensive team but he like everyone else hopes to find a rotation that can score points. I don’t care how much “depth” we have, by January we will pretty much have a standard 7-8 man rotation. The only time you care about depth is to protect against injuries.

Reaction Score
One thing that makes me have faith in the development of Andre Jackson is that he clearly showed in his freshman season that he is a confident player. From his first appearance to his last, he was one of the most mentally invested players on the squad despite not putting up great numbers. The value of confidence is very high, and will be important in making Jackson have a defined role on the court.

Edit- But you are right, it's very difficult to develop a shooter. We're gonna just have to see how this rolls out.
Yeah but a better value is having more points than fouls. Right now he is Syd Wilson without Syd’s shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get that there are a lot of question marks. Who is our SG? Is he effective? Can Andre improve his shot and make an impact as a scorer? Can Akok come all the way back? How effective will he be? Do any of the three freshman make an impact? Does Martin shoot like he did in the first half of the season, or the second half?

We have a strong senior scoring PG and very good C. We have a strong flex 4/5. Everything else is a question. I remain encouraged because I think we have a lot of potential answers. But if Gaff doesn't become a solid scoring off-guard, Hawk isn't ready, Andre doesn't add a decent shot and Akok isn't better than he was a freshman, this team is going to stink. So yeah, that's possible. I choose to believe it isn't likely.

Reaction Score
I get that there are a lot of question marks. Who is our SG? Is he effective? Can Andre improve his shot and make an impact as a scorer? Can Akok come all the way back? How effective will he be? Do any of the three freshman make an impact? Does Martin shoot like he did in the first half of the season, or the second half?

We have a strong senior scoring PG and very good C. We have a strong flex 4/5. Everything else is a question. I remain encouraged because I think we have a lot of potential answers. But if Gaff doesn't become a solid scoring off-guard, Hawk isn't ready, Andre doesn't add a decent shot and Akok isn't better than he was a freshman, this team is going to stink. So yeah, that's possible. I choose to believe it isn't likely.
I dont think there's a scenario where this team is going to stink. Worst case is they'll be where last year's team was in terms of RPI - based on seniority coming back, strength of defense, top tier BE point guard, BE DPOY candidate, impact freshmen who learned on the job and are now sophomores, a talented and healthy (but somewhat unproven) Akok, and a really nice infusion of incoming freshman talent who seem to be pushing themselves but at the same time are not going to be required to carry a huge load day-1 so can grow into their talents.

Reaction Score
I think it's fairly simple, and agree with the OP.

If 1. one of our guys develops into a Bouk level lottery talent or 2. two of our guys go late first/early second after next season, with the depth of talent we have this is a team that could make a serious, serious tournament run.

If no "alpha" establishes themselves, this is still a veteran, strong team that will be a tough out and will give anyone trouble but I think our ceiling is capped.

Reaction Score

Yeah but there was also 2011 where we lost Dyson who averaged 17+ and Stanley Robinson who averaged 14+. They were our #1 and #2 (with Kemba) offensive threats. Granted Bouknight is better than either player but you’d have a hard time convincing me that he was more valuable than both combined.

The examples you chose also were all time great UConn teams so of course they aren’t going to be as good the next year when pieces are missing.

There is really no way to know how the season will go but with the natural growth of the returning players and the influx of talent, I think at the very least our floor is much higher.

Reaction Score
I hope through improvement of returning players and some frosh stepping up we throw a wrench into Fantas thinking. But for now, not much to argue with. We looked mediocre at best without Bouk so for now the need of Akok becoming who he can be, Jackson to be able to make plays, Sanogo to be a go-to scorer, Hawkins to step in as a scorer/shooter, Polley to be better, defense to be really good and so much more. Cool thing is the potential is very much there but the questions are as well. Will be fun to watch this team grow but just how much is an unknown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom line this is kind of a make it or break it year if Hurley is a hard no on recruiting transfers. Team gets a heck of a lot younger in 23. So let’s see. I’m more optimistic on 22 than most.
I can see us being a veteran team again in 23 with rj coming back as many here are stating. Adama and Jackson are no sure things to leave after sophomore year either. You could be looking at a starting lineup with a 6th year player in Cole, a senior in gaff, a junior in Jackson, and a junior in adama. That doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The type of A player Bouknight was is the type of A player that can be replaced by upper Bs all playing really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom