Joe D | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joe D

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think Gresh calls a very good football game.

Take it back!!! He hates UConn so much, he can't call a game without talking down about us and harkening back to his days playing at URI, which literally no one cares about. CT sports media seems to have an issue with that--Dibble can't go 5 mins without telling some tangential story about his days on the Reds as if anyone cares lol

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Much like Fat Mike Francessa, there replacements might not be better, but most of us will move on after a few games and need to be reminded of Bob Joyce and Joe D eventually.

I have zero issues with Bob Joyce but dislike Joe D alot. Nothing too bad. Krinkle described it perfectly as "creepy". In my case, it was an ex girlfriend maybe 20 years ago. He had just started thinking he was King sh%t in CT. He made one offhanded comment at a cocktail party and quickly moved on once she laughed at him.

Relax uconngb. there and alot we're to sea if yore still policing gramma! :)

Reaction Score
I always felt bad for the play by play guy before Joe D - the one who called Tate George’s shot - The guy went on to do sports flash at WFAN
What the hell was his name

Reaction Score
I always felt bad for the play by play guy before Joe D - the one who called Tate George’s shot - The guy went on to do sports flash at WFAN

Mr Met Bob Huessler

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joe D was fine. No better or worse than who came before. Big front-runner, though

Reaction Score
Can’t get WTIC, don’t care. If we now have a broader reach, that’s a good thing.
Same - can't get WTIC up in the Quiet Corner, but I once got it loud and clear all the way into Pennsylvania listening to Josh Beckett shut down the Yankees in 2003.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Am I alone in not liking the guys voice? He clearly was good at his job, but I was annoyed by his voice.
He certainly doesn't have the silky smooth voice of a Mike Gorman.

Reaction Score
Get the idea that doing the UCONN games is Joe’s entire life. I think he’s divorced and now no broadcasting job?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Iowa State fans will rejoice. Their local TV broadcast lost its audio feed during the first quarter of our game against them in Ames in 2002. They patched in the radio call of the game from WTIC. JoeD spent most of the game calling Iowa State the "Hawkeyes". On top of losing the game to us, they had to suffer the ignominity of being called by their arch rival's nickname.

Reaction Score
Am I alone in not liking the guys voice? He clearly was good at his job, but I was annoyed by his voice.
He certainly doesn't have the silky smooth voice of a Mike Gorman.

I just don't find there to be any reason to pine for his game calling. Like I didn't hate him calling games, but him leaving? Okay, I hope the next guy is good... My mother was like sad about this, people all have more important things to worry or be sad about

Also, anyone else remember some early or preseason game where they had the husky vision thing you could watch on, and it had a hot mic during pre-game or timeouts and Joe D went off on some sort of #timesup problematic talk. A few minutes later the hot mic was turned off, hilarious

Reaction Score
I’ll miss him. It’s not that he is particularly irreplaceable in terms of announcing , but he is associated with a long period of success for UConn.

It was a great job to have and he did pretty well with it for a long time. It hurts to lose that. Sure, he got big for his britches at times, but that comes with the territory. Ego can be hard to keep in check when everyone wants to talk to you all day long.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If so, that's so dumb. Keep him on basketball definitely. I think he's okay on football, but I'd understand if they went with someone else. Find someone else for hockey

Bob Crawford
Mike Lange
"Doc" Emrick
The ghost of Freddy Cusick

Not in that order.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sweeny Murti announced for UConn?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
#MeToo.
Not trying to start that and not saying JoeD should lose his job over it or anything. Just saying I'm not too upset he's leaving after my personal encounter with him.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Not trying to start that and not saying JoeD should lose his job over it or anything. Just saying I'm not too upset he's leaving after my personal encounter with him.

I gotcha. Was trying to make light of a bad situation. Bad attempt at humor on my part. Sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom