Jim Mora: Something feels different | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora: Something feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I disagree. Mora was one of the biggest supporters of all the sports teams at the university. He would rock his Hook C hat and tweet about all the programs. Really engrained himself into the AD with all the programs. For him to completely ignore a major achievement from our bball team is concerning. I think you all are a little too crazy if you think it's because he's worried they're successful and he's not.

I still come back to his removal of all UConn in his social media profiles. That is something I still can't explain away.
Maybe he's removing all that focus on him and putting it on the team by doing that... Seems like it's a "circle the wagon" "us against the world" approach he's taking with the team... I think he's taking a page out of the MBB book... Using whatever he can ( like Hurley does ) to build momentum...

I'm OK with the approach... He's still visible... just not as much from a social media standpoint...

Let's Go Huskies!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if he sees the MBB program and realized that the uni will never be able to invest in it support football the way it has for basketball.
I wonder if he realized he isn't being compensated for puffing up the rest of the university. Having to make do with a smaller coaching budget than Hurley's salary has to be annoying.

Reaction Score
What did he say to the fanbase about UConn possibly joining the ACC or Big12? I don't recall him saying anything. There was some talk of recruits being told things; not sure where that was coming from. But I don't think Mora said anything publicly about it, until the Big 12 was obviously not going to happen.
Jo I appreciate Mora with his national profile agreeing to come here and try reversing the fortunes of the program. And I also recognized the need to get people talking about the program when he first got here. He has been a dynamic presence here. I guess I'm getting tired of getting any semblance of a semi when new coaches come in and talk their coachspeak that includes things like winning a national championship here, how great and innovative their subordinate coaching hires are or telling recruits his goal is getting into a P4 conference in a couple of years.... I have no problem him being less active on social media because I believe he is in the middle of rebooting the program and there is a lot of work to do from spring to opening day of 2024 and results need to be shown quickly.. I want to see a trend of competitive football still knowing it has become a tough place to do so. It appears I'm in the same era of others like Palantine, Freescooter, and Waquoit plus others. Can't speak for them but indifference is creeping in and starting to considerer giving more too my community instead..

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to adjust their expectations if they want to stay on this thing.

-The 2000s are never ever ever coming back, even if we end up in a dilapidated ACC.

-There are only two Power conferences for football and we won’t ever be in one.

-Not being in a conference and having nothing to compete for is a huge drawback. We’re like a plant that is in insufficient soil.

-With excellent NIL support the the best we can hope for is to become a top end “Group of 5” program.

-Jim Mora based on his comments last season is pretty sober. We will be signing lots of 6th and 5th year seniors. If you can’t attract top end talent then go get experience.

-I listen to what Jim says. He has said over and over again that it’s not about him. And maybe his new social media approach is reflective of that.

-If football is losing $14M a year and we haven’t relaxed academic standards as much as possible then we are crazy.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to adjust their expectations if they want to stay on this thing.

-The 2000s are never ever ever coming back, even if we end up in a dilapidated ACC.

-There are only two Power conferences for football and we won’t ever be in one.

-Not being in a conference and having nothing to compete for is a huge drawback. We’re like a plant that is in insufficient soil.

-With excellent NIL support the the best we can hope for is to become a top end “Group of 5” program.

-Jim Mora based on his comments last season is pretty sober. We will be signing lots of 6th and 5th year seniors. If you can’t attract top end talent then go get experience.

-I listen to what Jim says. He has said over and over again that it’s not about him. And maybe his new social media approach is reflective of that.

-If football is losing $14M a year and we haven’t relaxed academic standards as much as possible then we are crazy.
I disagree with many of your points. I do agree that not being in a conference is a negative, but that shouldn't be holding UConn back when it comes to winning 6 to 8 games per year. There is going to be a P4 for a number of years and the goal is to get into one of them. For the foreseeable future, there will be a college football playoff, so if you can get into a conference, you have a shot. And, more money.

If I had a dollar for every time someone on this board has said conference realignment is over, I would be rich. And, that was before we have just experienced the greatest amount of realignment!

The bottom line for Mora is to figure out a way to win.

Reaction Score
I disagree with many of your points. I do agree that not being in a conference is a negative, but that shouldn't be holding UConn back when it comes to winning 6 to 8 games per year. There is going to be a P4 for a number of years and the goal is to get into one of them. For the foreseeable future, there will be a college football playoff, so if you can get into a conference, you have a shot. And, more money.

If I had a dollar for every time someone on this board has said conference realignment is over, I would be rich. And, that was before we have just experienced the greatest amount of realignment!

I don’t care what you think.

You’re 10000% wrong.

Reaction Score
One UConn football related tweet which is good. But he still has time to tweet about golf, yet does not have time to congratulate the men’s basketball team going back to back. Still seems weird to me even if he’s in his “shut up and win games mode.” I would use it as brand builder for recruiting, but what the hell do I know.
While I understand your take on things completely.... Look what the school has done to help football with the label of basketball capitol of the world. Not only from Dan but painted on the floor of the court. Again no attack on your take but how does one counter the speech from a recruiting coach to a prospect that UConn is simply a basketball school?

Mora came in trying to change that perspective and what does he get? He came in and lives near the campus and has been seen at many other sporting events. Met and became friends of baseball and softball along with other sports. The promise of a conference along with support and the kick in the footballs of the branding I am sure has him second thinking why he even came here.

I am a fan of all sports UConn but honestly do not like the label of Basketball Capital of the World. And yes basketball was my first love five decades ago. But it comes across as cocky and arrogant and hurts other sports recruiting. I would prefer to stay humble and let the opponents throw out the accolades, just me.

Reaction Score
While I understand your take on things completely.... Look what the school has done to help football with the label of basketball capitol of the world. Not only from Dan but painted on the floor of the court. Again no attack on your take but how does one counter the speech from a recruiting coach to a prospect that UConn is simply a basketball school?

Mora came in trying to change that perspective and what does he get? He came in and lives near the campus and has been seen at many other sporting events. Met and became friends of baseball and softball along with other sports. The promise of a conference along with support and the kick in the footballs of the branding I am sure has him second thinking why he even came here.

I am a fan of all sports UConn but honestly do not like the label of Basketball Capital of the World. And yes basketball was my first love five decades ago. But it comes across as cocky and arrogant and hurts other sports recruiting. I would prefer to stay humble and let the opponents throw out the accolades, just me.
You can throw the "Basketball Capital" tag at Duke, Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas because they all prioritize basketball over football and everyone, including football recruits knows if they go there they will be the 2nd most important show in town. Despite that, they still manage to have respectable football programs.

I think the label of a "basketball school" only hinders you if you're trying to be an elite football program. I don't think it makes an impact on a program trying to be at least decent enough to have a shot at a bowl game most years.

Reaction Score
You can throw the "Basketball Capital" tag at Duke, Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas because they all prioritize basketball over football and everyone, including football recruits knows if they go there they will be the 2nd most important show in town.
Narratives like this chart doesn’t help the football cause…

Reaction Score

This is solely a thing because we are severely limited by not being in a power conference. Schools need TV money to be able to properly fund their football programs. We would be right around the level of spending as "basketball schools" like Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Virginia and Arizona if we were simply in a power conference.

Reaction Score

Surest way to mediocrity is to accept your circumstance. We all know the reasons why not. We need the guys that will a way a can and will.

Reaction Score
Surest way to mediocrity is to accept your circumstance. We all know the reasons why not. We need the guys that will a way a can and will.
This season, UConn football will play 8 schools in which UConn spends more on football and 4 that spend more than UConn. Maryland is the only school on the schedule that spends significantly more than UConn. And, UConn has 7 home games this season. Why can't UConn win 6 to 8 games this year? If you win, you get more fans, who buy more tickets, who donate more money,...

My expectation is to become bowl eligible and anything less is a disappointment.

Reaction Score
This is solely a thing because we are severely limited by not being in a power conference. Schools need TV money to be able to properly fund their football programs. We would be right around the level of spending as "basketball schools" like Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Virginia and Arizona if we were simply in a power conference.

Kansas spends about the same amount overall as UConn.. they just spend $25-30M on football and $20M on basketball; while UConn spends $25M on basketball and about $20M on football.

It becomes a chicken or egg scenario. Can't spend more on football because you're not in a Power Conference... get rejected from Power Conferences because "UConn doesn't care about/doesn't take seriously football".

Reaction Score
Kansas spends about the same amount overall as UConn.. they just spend $25-30M on football and $20M on basketball; while UConn spends $25M on basketball and about $20M on football.

It becomes a chicken or egg scenario. Can't spend more on football because you're not in a Power Conference... get rejected from Power Conferences because "UConn doesn't care about/doesn't take seriously football".
It's just a bad read of the data. We spend at the top of the "G5"

Just take basketball off the grid and it looks a lot better. It's a dumb metric to use as a negative. Anyone doing so is pushing an agenda or can't read

Reaction Score
Just take basketball off the grid and it looks a lot better. It's a dumb metric to use as a negative. Anyone doing so is pushing an agenda or can't read
It's not necessarily an agenda, but a reinforcement (confirmation bias) of an impression left by UConn's actions and success/failure. UConn is doing something non-standard. Football has struggled over the last dozen years... UConn left an all sports conference and made it's football program and independent to align with a stronger basketball conference. The lack of success plus the conference move gives rise to a perception that UConn isn't serious about football (the argument: "if you were you'd invest more and the program would be successful" or "you wouldn't take your program out of the top (then) G5 conference to select a basketball league"). It gets reinforced when conference alignment is being driven by potential broadcast revenue and 80% of the value is driven by football.

The data showing that UConn is the only FBS school spending more on basketball than football simply reinforces that UConn isn't serious in the minds of the people who've already formed the opinion (the argument: "If UConn directed some of that money to football, then they might actually have been successful" and "No one thinks Kansas isn't a top basketball program and they spend less than UConn on hoops while making a bigger investment on football").

I don't think any UConn fan can objectively say that the move to the Big East has been anything but a success.... but it's unusual and hard for many schools (as well as the media) who are conditioned to the majority of the athletic revenue being driven by the broadcast rights for football to see a school who actively forwent that arrangement, for one where the majority of athletic department revenues are basketball dependent.

Reaction Score
I believe the basketball capital of the world was in response to being passed over by a conference that many believe to be the best basketball conference. UConn spends a good amount on Men’s and Womens and guessing most spend on Men’s?

Reaction Score
UConn spends a good amount on Men’s and Womens and guessing most spend on Men’s?
It does... in fact UConn spends about the same amount on recruiting for Women's Basketball as it does for Football

Reaction Score
IIRC Geno earned 3.1 million dollars. think that was more than the entire football coaching staff.

Reaction Score
It's not necessarily an agenda, but a reinforcement (confirmation bias) of an impression left by UConn's actions and success/failure. UConn is doing something non-standard. Football has struggled over the last dozen years... UConn left an all sports conference and made it's football program and independent to align with a stronger basketball conference. The lack of success plus the conference move gives rise to a perception that UConn isn't serious about football (the argument: "if you were you'd invest more and the program would be successful" or "you wouldn't take your program out of the top (then) G5 conference to select a basketball league"). It gets reinforced when conference alignment is being driven by potential broadcast revenue and 80% of the value is driven by football.

The data showing that UConn is the only FBS school spending more on basketball than football simply reinforces that UConn isn't serious in the minds of the people who've already formed the opinion (the argument: "If UConn directed some of that money to football, then they might actually have been successful" and "No one thinks Kansas isn't a top basketball program and they spend less than UConn on hoops while making a bigger investment on football").

I don't think any UConn fan can objectively say that the move to the Big East has been anything but a success.... but it's unusual and hard for many schools (as well as the media) who are conditioned to the majority of the athletic revenue being driven by the broadcast rights for football to see a school who actively forwent that arrangement, for one where the majority of athletic department revenues are basketball dependent.
I mean sure. But a lot of it is bad faith arguing or straight up stupidity by talking heads and the people who promote the narrative. These people don't know what they're talking about but are given (or give themselves) the authority to act as an expert.

You can't reason with dumb people or bad faith actors

Reaction Score

That tweet was accompanied by this story:

UCONN BANKS ON BASKETBALL’S VALUE IN FOOTBALL-DRIVEN NCAA

UConn is the only school to have won both Division I basketball titles in the same season—which it accomplished in 2004 and 2014—and it continues to serve as a prime example of the kind of value premier basketball programs can have, even in this transformative era when college football is dictating so much across the athletics landscape, from TV contracts to conference realignment.

“I would say its biggest value for our university is the overall brand recognition,” UConn athletic director Dave Benedict said in an interview. “Obviously basketball schools don’t necessarily benefit as significantly from a financial standpoint [as big-time football programs] but certainly from a brand recognition standpoint.”

But UConn instead chose to prioritize basketball, getting out of the football-focused AAC to return to the league where it an original member.

“I would like someone to tell me now that it wasn’t the right decision,” Benedict said. “It was. It doesn’t mean it’s perfect for every program on our campus, but ultimately it was about the opportunity to reposition our men’s basketball program in a way to make sure we’re nationally relevant.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Why do we need to spend more on football? Will there be any rewards for it? We have 17 NCs in basketball since 1995, plus more in field hockey and soccer. Do you want to take away from them? It sure looks like we spend what a lot of others do, just not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom