Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
Perhaps the most potential, but he has a ways to go. Best players are the ones who go into the NFL. He's not there yet. TJ is.

Yeah because he isn’t even close to graduating. We’ll see Tuthill.

Reaction Score
What wasn't clear. You said more than one thing. I fully agree that Travis Jones was our best defensive player last year. I think your statement, however, that the best player is the one who goes to the NFL is flat out wrong. Your best player may or may not be the one with the best pro prospects.

I think Mitchell will end up better. Jones is good but Mitchell was and is the leader of the defense.

Reaction Score
I like Mitchell, I do. Think he has a chance to be mentioned with other great Husky linebackers. But he was not better than Travis Jones. Have to give me more than tackle stats.

Tackle stats? Is there another more important metric for a defensive player?

Reaction Score
I think Mitchell will end up better. Jones is good but Mitchell was and is the leader of the defense.
Maybe, but we all know that tackle stats do not tell the whole story. What we agree on is that TJ was the best player on D this year.

Reaction Score
So did we lose Mike Z?
Could there be a reshuffle as Borge positions seem to have a connection and the recruiting one has experience in the player personnel role in qualifications

Reaction Score
So did we lose Mike Z?
If he’s going anywhere, it hasn’t happened yet because he’s still actively “following” new kids in the portal w/ his UConn Twitter (two new follows in the last few hours).

1640219949657.png

Reaction Score
I agree that Jones was our best defensive player this year, but your statement is absurd. Neither Tim Boyle nor Tyler Davis were our best offensive players when they were here. Bama Wilson wasn't not our best defensive player here because a bunch of guys made it in the NFL and he didn't.

The fact that you have the size and speed to play in the NFL, and continue to develop while in college, does not make you the best player on the team while you were in college.
I have watched a lot of tape now on Jones for the draft, especially the Clemson game... my god he was a beast. I heard all the hype and just figured he was a good player and all... but on the tape, he's occupying two players every play. I had no idea. You rarely heard his named called by broadcasters because he was double, sometimes triple teamed. I'm worried for next year for the defense (which I think we much better than their scores showed, just because they were always on the field) trying to replace Jones.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Tackle stats? Is there another more important metric for a defensive player?
We will agree to disagree because I am not going to disparage Mitchell.

Just one question - would your position be that whatever linebacker in the nation has the most tackles is the best linebacker?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but we all know that tackle stats do not tell the whole story. What we agree on is that TJ was the best player on D this year.

Oh they don’t? They tell enough.

Reaction Score
We will agree to disagree because I am not going to disparage Mitchell.

Just one question - would your position be that whatever linebacker in the nation has the most tackles is the best linebacker?

No but if we have an All American on the team, it’s him.

Reaction Score
Thank you for posting the quick reply. I edited my post as follows but the edit window is very short and it expired. This is what I was trying to post:

On the chance that this was about my post, what you say is true, that there are players who were not the best in college who later developed in the NFL. That is not applicable or the issue here. Look at the contrapositve of your statement, (or whatever the appropriate logical term is). There are very very few players who are ready for the NFL when NO one else on their team is -- who are not the best player on their team, on their side of the ball.

Yes, you cannot coach size or athleticism, and that is one reason why the NFL take flyers on players that are not yet quite ready to play in the NFL. And they then develop them. But if no one else on that team is ready for the NFL, almost by definition they are the college team's best on that side of the ball.
Travis has potential but in no way was he the best defensive Player. He would most likely grade out at 60-70 in most games. He will have to step up his intensity to make it in the NFL. They will take him based on size alone and to take up space in the middle. He lacks lateral movement and had a tendency to pace himself during a game. Very little pass rush from him over his three years.

Reaction Score
Travis has potential but in no way was he the best defensive Player. He would most likely grade out at 60-70 in most games. He will have to step up his intensity to make it in the NFL. They will take him based on size alone and to take up space in the middle. He lacks lateral movement and had a tendency to pace himself during a game. Very little pass rush from him over his three years.
I think you're very wrong on how he graded out. Dude was constantly double teamed.

Reaction Score
Travis Jones is a load in the middle that commands double teams and when rested provides surprising push in the pocket for a man his size. NFL teams know how to utilize their interior D Lineman to ensure that they are fresh throughout the game.

The thing with Travis is, and we will find out in the all star game, can anyone block him one on one?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Using tackles as the end all, be all of defensive stats is truly mind blowing. Mitchell had so many tackles because there was a guy clogging up with middle taking on 2/3 blockers every play to free up the linebackers to make plays...
And we still would get gashed because the LB's either took the wrong angles or didn't fill the hole quick enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom