Jeff Jacobs out? | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs out?

Reaction Score
Well his contract TECHNICALLY expired.....but having said that yeah he definitely wasn't gonna be offered a new one.

FWIW I have absolutely no dog in this fight as my wife and I have no children and only one nephew who is far too young to even think about selecting an athletic pursuit of his liking. However, Jacobs' position in the above linked article makes 100% total and complete sense to me. I mean, yeah, sure, if the kid has a legit shot at a high major hoops scholarship wouldn't you logically, as a parent (given the kid's desire), explore the prep option in order to expose them to advanced competition, better facilities and give them the best shot to actualize their talent?

Were I a CIAC coach and my best player came to me and said, 'Coach, I'm gonna transfer to a prep school for my last year or two because I wanna give this basketball thing my best shot.', I would say, 'Hey, been a pleasure. Vaya con Dios, I with you nothing but success.....and don't forget where you came from!' Then I would take nothing but pride from watching them achieve their dreams.

These CIAC clowns need to get a grip. Transfers don't impugn their coaching ability-if anything, transfers VALIDATE their coaching ability. This is about resources, pure and simple and the preps will ALWAYS have more than the publics around these parts unless you live in like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, Ridgefield etc. Those parents are willing to throw money at their sports programs like it's going out of style but again we're talking about a lot of .01%-ers income wise and that is certainly not the case with the majority of Connecticut schools.

I'd advise some of these aggrieved CIAC coaches to move to Texas and get jobs in some of the larger schools there. or maybe even try and get a job at a Prep. Then let's see how they do when they've not only got the resources at their disposal but EXTREMELY involved, aggressive and rich, involved parents to deal with. Be careful what you ask for.

Reaction Score
We've become a country of victims. If someone, in this Jeff Jacbs, suggests that a player with the talent to go on to a D1i program should think about a year or two at a prep school to better improve their skills the high school coaches make the suggestion out to be a slam at their players. As Rich rightly points out those coaches should be encouraging their players to pursue opportunities that will give them the best chance to succeed in basketball. Not what's best for their program.

Reaction Score
Well his contract TECHNICALLY expired.....but having said that yeah he definitely wasn't gonna be offered a new one.

FWIW I have absolutely no dog in this fight as my wife and I have no children and only one nephew who is far too young to even think about selecting an athletic pursuit of his liking. However, Jacobs' position in the above linked article makes 100% total and complete sense to me. I mean, yeah, sure, if the kid has a legit shot at a high major hoops scholarship wouldn't you logically, as a parent (given the kid's desire), explore the prep option in order to expose them to advanced competition, better facilities and give them the best shot to actualize their talent?

Were I a CIAC coach and my best player came to me and said, 'Coach, I'm gonna transfer to a prep school for my last year or two because I wanna give this basketball thing my best shot.', I would say, 'Hey, been a pleasure. Vaya con Dios, I with you nothing but success.....and don't forget where you came from!' Then I would take nothing but pride from watching them achieve their dreams.

These CIAC clowns need to get a grip. Transfers don't impugn their coaching ability-if anything, transfers VALIDATE their coaching ability. This is about resources, pure and simple and the preps will ALWAYS have more than the publics around these parts unless you live in like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, Ridgefield etc. Those parents are willing to throw money at their sports programs like it's going out of style but again we're talking about a lot of .01%-ers income wise and that is certainly not the case with the majority of Connecticut schools.

I'd advise some of these aggrieved CIAC coaches to move to Texas and get jobs in some of the larger schools there. or maybe even try and get a job at a Prep. Then let's see how they do when they've not only got the resources at their disposal but EXTREMELY involved, aggressive and rich, involved parents to deal with. Be careful what you ask for.
Im here for the other side. Jacobs has rubbed me the wrong way on more than one occasion but that in the end that doesn't mean he should go. I just don't read his articles often. I actually witnessed some of the backlash play out on twitter and saw a hometown coach of mine who I respect immensely share his displeasure for the article. Jacobs has the right to his opinion for sure but the article was pointless and shining a needless light on a disparity that only served to irritate the CIAC people/coaches. Is he going to write an article next on how the grass in his back yard grows sooo much better because he waters it way more than the front yard. The insinuation that local media should only cover NEPSAC or heavily favor NEPSAC over CIAC due to the talent was just unnecessary. This is very typical of him. I could've read this article and without knowing and immediately knew who wrote it.

Reaction Score
Im here for the other side. Jacobs has rubbed me the wrong way on more than one occasion but that in the end that doesn't mean he should go. I just don't read his articles often. I actually witnessed some of the backlash play out on twitter and saw a hometown coach of mine who I respect immensely share his displeasure for the article. Jacobs has the right to his opinion for sure but the article was pointless and shining a needless light on a disparity that only served to irritate the CIAC people/coaches. Is he going to write an article next on how the grass in his back yard grows sooo much better because he waters it way more than the front yard. The insinuation that local media should only cover NEPSAC or heavily favor NEPSAC over CIAC due to the talent was just unnecessary. This is very typical of him. I could've read this article and without knowing and immediately knew who wrote it.
Yep, thought it was he who demonstrated an extraordinarily thin skin, rather than the coaches. He handled it badly. And to fold in his departure announcement with that tirade against coaches was both ill-timed and not in the best of taste. And I, too, have not been enamored of his journalism. Having said that, I would like to know why Hearst Connecticut Media fired him (let his contract expire- same thing). Cost cutting? Once again firing an older employee with a higher salary in order to replace him with a 22 year-old recent college graduate willing to work for peanuts? Since Hearst Connecticut Media operates a near-monopoly over the state of Connecticut, Hearst management (the head is a Canadian transplant) should start answering to the people of this state/Hearst readers about the moves they make.

They had a monopoly over southwestern Connecticut, but then acquired the Manchester Journal Inquirer near Hatford. So the only three publications left in the state that Hearst doesn't own are the Waterbury Republican-American, Hartford Courant, and The Day of New London. Since Alden Global Capital has stripped the Courant of anything of value, except some remaining reporters and the name (both of dubious value), it's time for Alden to sell out and move on to ravage another newspaper elsewhere.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Yep, thought it was he who demonstrated an extraordinarily thin skin, rather than the coaches. He handled it badly. And to fold in his departure announcement with that tirade against coaches was both ill-timed and not in the best of taste. And I, too, have not been enamored of his journalism. Having said that, I would like to know why Hearst Connecticut Media fired him (let his contract expire- same thing). Cost cutting? Once again firing an older employee with a higher salary in order to replace him with a 22 year-old recent college graduate willing to work for peanuts? Since Hearst Connecticut Media operates a near-monopoly over the state of Connecticut, Hearst management (the head is a Canadian transplant) should start answering to the people of this state/Hearst readers about the moves they make.

They had a monopoly over southwestern Connecticut, but then acquired the Manchester Journal Inquirer near Hatford. So the only three publications left in the state that Hearst doesn't own are the Waterbury Republican-American, Hartford Courant, and The Day of New London. Since Alden Global Capital has stripped the Courant of anything of value, except some remaining reporters and the name (both of dubious value), it's time for Alden to sell out and move on to ravage another newspaper elsewhere.
Fairfield Fan, nothing I have read in any of JJ's recent articles, or from his Twitter account, would suggest that HCM fired him, or that HCM made the call not to renew his contract. Can you provide any reference from which you base that conclusion?

Interestingly, when one goes to the CT Post to review his past articles, the following is presented under his picture:

"Jeff Jacobs is a former columnist with Hearst Connecticut Media Group. Jeff is a 10-time Connecticut Sports Writer of the Year and four times has been honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors as one of the top-10 columnists in the country. Jeff’s passion for local sports runs the gamut from high school athletics to UConn basketball — he has covered all four UConn men’s championships and 10 of the 11 women’s titles. He’s also covered multiple Olympics, World Series and Super Bowls. Along the way, he has demonstrated a zeal for the big scoop and a finely honed ability to convey essential human tales that resonate far beyond the sports world."

It certainly doesn't convey the feeling that he was fired by HCM. It reads more like the inside sleeve to an upcoming book on the Connecticut and/or national sports scene, or like a university brochure touting the bona fides of a new adjunct professor of Journalism.

I would appreciate you shining some light on the situation, please and thank you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fairfield Fan, nothing I have read in any of JJ's recent articles, or from his Twitter account, would suggest that HCM fired him, or that HCM made the call not to renew his contract. Can you provide any reference from which you base that conclusion?

Interestingly, when one goes to the CT Post to review his past articles, the following is presented under his picture:

"Jeff Jacobs is a former columnist with Hearst Connecticut Media Group. Jeff is a 10-time Connecticut Sports Writer of the Year and four times has been honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors as one of the top-10 columnists in the country. Jeff’s passion for local sports runs the gamut from high school athletics to UConn basketball — he has covered all four UConn men’s championships and 10 of the 11 women’s titles. He’s also covered multiple Olympics, World Series and Super Bowls. Along the way, he has demonstrated a zeal for the big scoop and a finely honed ability to convey essential human tales that resonate far beyond the sports world."

It certainly doesn't convey the feeling that he was fired by HCM. It reads more like the inside sleeve to an upcoming book on the Connecticut and/or national sports scene, or like a university brochure touting the bona fides of a new adjunct professor of Journalism.

I would appreciate you shining some light on the situation, please and thank you.
Given that it doesn't have the current number of men's basketball championships, I would think it's a dated piece of puffery.

You're welcome.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Given that it doesn't have the current number of men's basketball championships, I would think it's a dated piece of puffery.

You're welcome.
CL82, I agree about it being dated.

For what it is worth, it also doesn't mention that he was last year's (2022) Hearst Connecticut Media Sportswriter of the Year award winner.

File it under "Things that make you go 'Hmmmm...'"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL82, I agree about it being dated.

For what it is worth, it also doesn't mention that he was last year's (2022) Hearst Connecticut Media Sportswriter of the Year award winner.

File it under "Things that make you go 'Hmmmm...'"
Is it OK if I file it under things that make me go "meh"?

Reaction Score

There are other media to follow for CT news, generally. I don't have the time to list 'em.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom