Jay Paterno available as qb coach. | The Boneyard

Jay Paterno available as qb coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Won't be part of O'Brien's staff at Penn State. Wouldn't be shocked to see him here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I second that...no way!!! A friend of mine that I work with in the firehouse has had PSU season tkts for 20 years. He has Nothing but horrible things to say about Jay Paterno as a qb coach. His developement of PSU qb's the past 5 years is sub-par at best! He was an assistant here under Tom Jakson...coached wr's.

Reaction Score
Haha no I didn't. But I meant it because I don't want to see anyone from UConn fielding Sandusky questions at all.

Reaction Score
Coach P has already been asked questions because he is a PSU alumni...I suspect he will be asked more questions as case moves to trial.

Reaction Score
No thanks. No Paternos no recent staffmembers from Penn State.

Reaction Score
No Thank you! Keep him and the PSU mumbo jumbo away from UConn.

Reaction Score
Even without what happened at PSU, Paterno is not well liked as a QB coach.

They have somehow managed to land several highly ranked QBs the last few years, none of whom have panned out as of yet. They have had some decent QBs since 1994, but only 5. That's a big whiff over 16 years. Michael Robinson, Rashard Casey, Zach Mills, Kevin Thompson and Darryl Clark were all excellent. That's 8 out of 16 years of competency. Not good enough. But Anthony Morelli, Paul Jones, Kevin Newsome and Ricky Bolden were top 5 QBs in the nation. Jones is yet to get a shot but I don't hold out hope.

More important are all the QBs that Penn State has lost. Chad Henne was a longtime PSU fan and PSU lean, the staff was shocked when they lost him. Chris Simms too. It was because of Jay that Henne ended up at Michigan.

Reaction Score
There's proven experiment that never worked... Jay Paterno, who coached WR/TE here at UCONN in the era when I was a student there was the QB coach at PSU the past 5 years... And the QB play heavily subpar....

Reaction Score
There's proven experiment that never worked... Jay Paterno, who coached WR/TE here at UCONN in the era when I was a student there was the QB coach at PSU the past 5 years... And the QB play heavily subpar....

Daryll Clark was actually an excellent QB. McGloin was subpar. Last 5 years it's been Morelli/Clark/Clark/McGloin/McGloin. 2 of the 5 years. McGloin is actually a walk-on.

Reaction Score
I'm still up for Jeff Tedford, i know he is not available, but who's with me? I think an extra George Washington or two will help seal the deal :-P In all seriousness, we should consider going and looking in the MAC again for a good QB coach. I'm amazed how good some of the QB play can be at that level and I think it is DUE, IN PART, to the quality of coaching and teaching mechanics.

I wrote due, in part, in caps because people are going to come at me and argue that there were high quality QB's who were overlooked by BCS programs. True in some respects, but there are coaches at work too.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Is Western Michigan's QB coach available?...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think a lot of the MAC's great qb play has a lot to do with geography. Ohio and Western PA are pretty good recruiting grounds and ironically that's where many of the MAC teams are located. It's a fallback option for kids who don't get Big 10 offers but want to stay close to home.

Reaction Score
A successful college qb has to have the ability to lead, which may be the most difficult quality to project in recruiting (probably more so than at any other position). Agree that there seems to be some good qb play coming out of the MAC with second-tier recruits. I'm sure PP has some candidates in mind.

Reaction Score
So let's see on Paterno:

1. Not a good track record of coaching QBs.

2. Strong ties to a neighborhood program, where if they ever call him back he's gone in a heartbeat.

3. Whether or not he has any culpability, in people's mind linked to what may end up being the biggest college football scandal ever.

Yes, that possibility was worth a thread.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole...

For all of the reasons listed in the above posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom