OT: - jana thread and video | The Boneyard

OT: jana thread and video

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i'm curious about 2 things in the tread about jana's progress.

in post 8 there is a foto in which caroline is seen wearing eyeglasses. i didn't realize she needed glasses, or i am just not observant. does anyone know what gives? has she worn specs for years and normally uses contact lenses, thus we are unaware of the glasses?

OR is this related to her concussion, since she was sensitive to light and noise etc. after her injury? OR is it a matter of a recent discovery of the need for vision correction? obviously the latter two could affect her play.

my second query:

nan (?) posted an old clip (#10) of a younger jana that included some subtitles because an interviewee was speaking a foreign language.

WHY are subtitles almost inevitably nearly useless, because they either disappear too fast (i am admittedly a slow reader) or, usually, they are too small or of the wrong color (white or black against the changing background). THIS INFURIATES ME. why does whoever produced the video or movie or whatever not care about this obvious flaw? it clearly shows a lack of respect for the viewer, especially since the problem is easily remedied. i've seen a solution applied, in a very few cases, and i always think, 'this is great -- why isn't it the norm."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Likely wears contact lenses to play. Sometimes your eyes need a break so you break out the specs for a day or two. I've worn contacts since I was in the third grade. Some days your eyes just can't take having the lenses in.

Total speculation on my part, but maybe this was during the period when the smoke from the Canadian wild fires was affecting air quality.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Infuriated? Geez, someone posts free articles & videos, people complain. In another thread, fans are complaining about the camera work. We should feel lucky we’re getting content at all, not bitching because it’s not made to our specifications

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
i'm curious about 2 things in the tread about jana's progress.

in post 8 there is a foto in which caroline is seen wearing eyeglasses. i didn't realize she needed glasses, or i am just not observant. does anyone know what gives? has she worn specs for years and normally uses contact lenses, thus we are unaware of the glasses?

OR is this related to her concussion, since she was sensitive to light and noise etc. after her injury? OR is it a matter of a recent discovery of the need for vision correction? obviously the latter two could affect her play.

my second query:

nan (?) posted an old clip (#10) of a younger jana that included some subtitles because an interviewee was speaking a foreign language.

WHY are subtitles almost inevitably nearly useless, because they either disappear too fast (i am admittedly a slow reader) or, usually, they are too small or of the wrong color (white or black against the changing background). THIS INFURIATES ME. why does whoever produced the video or movie or whatever not care about this obvious flaw? it clearly shows a lack of respect for the viewer, especially since the problem is easily remedied. i've seen a solution applied, in a very few cases, and i always think, 'this is great -- why isn't it the norm."
I just watched the replay of UConn at Seton Hall from 1/17/2023 in which Caroline wasn't able to play. She was wearing glasses in the handshake line.

Reaction Score
Infuriated? Geez, someone posts free articles & videos, people complain. In another thread, fans are complaining about the camera work. We should feel lucky we’re getting content at all, not bitching because it’s not made to our specifications

I just shake my head sometimes. My point of reference when it comes to videos etc is a Black and White TV we had as a kid - we coud barley pick up the channel, the picture was weak and snowy, but damn, we were happy....! Everything I've seen since then is an upgrade.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I just shake my head sometimes. My point of reference when it comes to videos etc is a Black and White TV we had as a kid - we coud barley pick up the channel, the picture was weak and snowy, but damn, we were happy....! Everything I've seen since then is an upgrade.

And the time of day and weather determined what channels we could get. On a clear night we could get the Hartford station. Rainy day - no chance.

Reaction Score
Regarding subtitles, I have been a fan of KDramas for years and reading subtitles is a must. For those times I didn't fully finish reading the text...the "Pause" button is your best friend.

Reaction Score
Regarding subtitles, I have been a fan of KDramas for years and reading subtitles is a must. For those times I didn't fully finish reading the text...the "Pause" button is your best friend.
My wife is the Kdrama fan in our house. I like C- and Jdramas too. The subtitles on the Cdramas are often difficult to decipher and I constantly have to hit pause just to figure them out.

But this is nothing compared to trying to figure out the commentary on some of Jana’s high school games. With my tiny smattering of Arabic and how quickly they speak it is quite a challenge. If only there were subtitles, good or bad. Fortunately, Jana is quite a distinctive figure on the floor, even from a distant camera position.

Reaction Score
If Jana has grown another inch as I read recently, Jana will always stand out at 6'5'" and her scoring and rebounding will cement her presence on the floor, so that you will know it's Jana. GO JANA!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Yikes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I swear, when I was a kid I could read players' numbers in the snowy pictures. Now, with a 40-someodd inch digital TV and digital cable, I have to rely on gait, hairstyle, etc., unless it's a closeup.

Reaction Score
I swear, when I was a kid I could read players' numbers in the snowy pictures. Now, with a 40-someodd inch digital TV and digital cable, I have to rely on gait, hairstyle, etc., unless it's a closeup.
On my current tv, I can read the candy wrapper someone in the 4th row is holding if it’s reflected off the coach’s wrist watch. Of course, I’d have to stand next to the screen with a magnifying glass. The improvement in tv resolution inversely tracks my own visual acuity.

Reaction Score
This thread turned into TV and subtitles. What happened to it being a Jana thread?

Reaction Score
This thread turned into TV and subtitles. What happened to it being a Jana thread?
The OP made this thread go into 2 different directions...Jana and subtitles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom