Jalen Gaffney at the Point | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney at the Point

Reaction Score
I'm wrong a lot on here, you know, but I'm right sometimes too. It's fun on here.

I think Gaffney will start at the point against Providence.

We have lost 3 of 4 games and some of this falls on how we get into our offense, and I think Cole has to own some of that as the starting point these last few games, especially without Bouknight. The offense is going to run differently without that go-to-guy and the other team's defensive focus. The point guard has to be more assertive, and more effective. Jalen has been coming on these last few games, a play here, a play there, but last game against Seton Hall he made a jump that I think may have earned him that starting spot. 25 minutes he played, scoring 20 points, shooting 3's, getting to the line on drives, and sinking 8 of 9. Most noticeable to me was that with our somewhat still stagnant offense, he was keeping his dribble alive, showing some vision, and probing the defense, looking to pass and facilitate against some tough D. Also, several times, with the shot clock winding down , 10 or 12 seconds, he was making smart plays, driving, scoring, picking up fouls, against that tough interior Seton Hall defense. Not going to say he was unguardable, but he was getting it done, taking it upon himself to be the guy with the clock winding down.

All of this is confidence, and I think Hurley will feed his player with the start, trying to get more.

Oh yeah, no turnovers either, not one in 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for that version of Gaff all season. Hurley said he's been coming alive in practice lately and that there may be multiple changes in the starting lineup today, so that's a good bet. Keep it rolling Gaff!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
With Gaffney and now Andre Jackson we have some real offensive possibilities with their passing to open up defenses. I am looking forward to today's game to see if they can keep up the momentum.

Reaction Score
I'm wrong a lot on here, you know, but I'm right sometimes too. It's fun on here.

We have lost 3 of 4 games and some of this falls on how we get into our offense, and I think Cole has to own some of that as the starting point these last few games, especially without Bouknight. The offense is going to run differently without that go-to-guy and the other team's defensive focus. The point guard has to be more assertive, and more effective. Jalen has been coming on these last few games, a play here, a play there, but last game against Seton Hall he made a jump that I think may have earned him that starting spot. 25 minutes he played, scoring 20 points, shooting 3's, getting to the line on drives, and sinking 8 of 9. Most noticeable to me was that with our somewhat still stagnant offense, he was keeping his dribble alive, showing some vision, and probing the defense, looking to pass and facilitate against some tough D. Also, several times, with the shot clock winding down , 10 or 12 seconds, he was making smart plays, driving, scoring, picking up fouls, against that tough interior Seton Hall defense. Not going to say he was unguardable, but he was getting it done, taking it upon himself to be the guy with the clock winding down.

All of this is confidence, and I think Hurley will feed his player with the start, trying to get more.

Hope you're right but Cole was better than him until last game and even in that one Cole wasn't bad. We lost 3 of 4 because we couldn't stop anyone down the other end and Gaff falls into that area of concern also. Cole is better there as we've stated but if Gaff can play with more aggressiveness on the O end again and get better on the D end he certainly can play whichever guard spot he wants, Neither are very good PGs per se but we have to live with that. Hope he's spot on early today and deserves a chance to show it again for sure.

Reaction Score
I agree with Mauconnfan that Cole was better except for last game. I want everyone to play their best from here on out. We definitely need that. I think the impending changes in playing time could mean we are in for a bumpy ride until the dust settles and we figure things out for the final stretch and postseason.

Reaction Score
Hope you're right but Cole was better than him until last game and even in that one Cole wasn't bad. We lost 3 of 4 because we couldn't stop anyone down the other end and Gaff falls into that area of concern also. Cole is better there as we've stated but if Gaff can play with more aggressiveness on the O end again and get better on the D end he certainly can play whichever guard spot he wants, Neither are very good PGs per se but we have to live with that. Hope he's spot on early today and deserves a chance to show it again for sure.
I think this is right. WHEN Gaff shows aggressiveness he can be better, but he rarely shows it. I think we all know it is there, and are trying to will it out of him, but until he shows it regularly, Cole is the better PG option

Reaction Score
I think this is right. WHEN Gaff shows aggressiveness he can be better, but he rarely shows it. I think we all know it is there, and are trying to will it out of him,but until he shows it regularly, Cole is the better PG option

Reaction Score
Gaffney has the ability. He just needs confidence to do what he does. He has bouknight finesse around the rim and has really improved that three. I mean whenever I see him launch a triple I feel like it's always going to go in.

I hope he gets the start tonight because it can help him build upon his last game. If he does well again today he will definitely start for the last portion of the reg season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My hunch is that Bouk doesn't start. Gaffney does start at PG, and Cole starts in place of Adams at SG. Gaffney is better at getting the ball inside, whether through the pass or the dribble. Cole struggles to get the ball down low. Cole though, is a better shooter than Adams and is able to shoot off his own dribble and hit pull ups.

I hope to see a lot more of Jackson as well. Such a dynamic player.

Reaction Score

Liked your choice of starting point guard. A wonderful effort by Gaffney when the chips were down. This should be a better measure than how you played in practice! Many golfers are great on the range but under a must make shot you really wonder what your seeing. We haven't had 20 points out of a guard since Bouk went down.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'I'm wrong a lot on here, you know, '
no. ur not. in fact, i find ur stuff to be one of the most level headed, consistent, and always non-hysterical musings in da house. refreshing.
im not anti rj at all now, after coming from a highly skeptical beginning. on the udder hand, from the first hs vid of jmoney posted when he signed, (never saw/heard of him before, like almost every other one of our recruits where i don't pay any attention until it's official), i was psyched at his arrival. and said so, over and over again. physically talented, with a superior hoops brain, i guess his methodical agenda for growth and development didn't please the insane clown posse here. he has a plan. mebbe they spent too much time cheering kwintin dunks, and hoping he'll go #1 in the draft. or that any day now, gilbert will break 30% on 3's. and, of course, polley will, any day now, magically turn into a symphony of boarding, passing, handling, dunking and d'ing perfection. heck, just today i learned that ty martin is the 2nd coming of rip. who knew?
my very first post on jmoney was 'playa.' yup. give him either job -dishing or swishing- and he'll do it at a superior level. im beyond excited for the offensive prospects of having james, jalen, and jackson on the floor together, someday soon.

signed, 'a yuge fan of Cliff Robinson, who apparently in a recent mock nba draft, ...'

Reaction Score
A lot of people felt Gaff was in need of confidence. Last game shows what a confident Gaffney is capable of. Hope he continues staying that way.

Reaction Score
'I'm wrong a lot on here, you know, '
no. ur not. in fact, i find ur stuff to be one of the most level headed, consistent, and always non-hysterical musings in da house. refreshing.
im not anti rj at all now, after coming from a highly skeptical beginning. on the udder hand, from the first hs vid of jmoney posted when he signed, (never saw/heard of him before, like almost every other one of our recruits where i don't pay any attention until it's official), i was psyched at his arrival. and said so, over and over again. physically talented, with a superior hoops brain, i guess his methodical agenda for growth and development didn't please the insane clown posse here. he has a plan. mebbe they spent too much time cheering kwintin dunks, and hoping he'll go #1 in the draft. or that any day now, gilbert will break 30% on 3's. and, of course, polley will, any day now, magically turn into a symphony of boarding, passing, handling, dunking and d'ing perfection. heck, just today i learned that ty martin is the 2nd coming of rip. who knew?
my very first post on jmoney was 'playa.' yup. give him either job -dishing or swishing- and he'll do it at a superior level. im beyond excited for the offensive prospects of having james, jalen, and jackson on the floor together, someday soon.

signed, 'a yuge fan of Cliff Robinson, who apparently in a recent mock nba draft, ...'

Thanks bro, for your kind words. :)

Reaction Score
So this is post Providence. Gaffney played 16 minutes, the offense looking pretty good in the first 8 minutes with him starting at the point, but then he picked up his second foul and sat the rest of the half. The second half he was ineffective, picked up two more fouls, and did not play that much, the cause mostly I think being that he was not aggressive looking for his shot, did not drive the lane at all, and did not get to the foul line even once.

Without Bouknight playing, we really need our 1 guard to be aggressive, both looking for his shot and facilitating.
There is a balance here, and to be effective at his position, Gaffney needs to find it.

Reaction Score
So this is post Providence. Gaffney played 16 minutes, the offense looking pretty good in the first 8 minutes with him starting at the point, but then he picked up his second foul and sat the rest of the half. The second half he was ineffective, picked up two more fouls, and did not play that much, the cause mostly I think being that he was not aggressive looking for his shot, did not drive the lane at all, and did not get to the foul line even once.

Without Bouknight playing, we really need our 1 guard to be aggressive, both looking for his shot and facilitating.
There is a balance here, and to be effective at his position, Gaffney needs to find it.
Gaff didn’t make 5 minutes to start the game. We had 4 points when he went out. He did have 2 of them but to say the offense looked pretty good? At that pace we’d score 32 for the game. I agree he needs to be more aggressive. Drive the ball and find the open man.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I was all for Gaffney taking the reins at PG leading in to this game, but he fell asleep at the wheel. I saw the same Gaffney from the first 10 games of the season and not the one from the previous two. These things will happen and I still think he should be the guy. I am not sure what this team needs to get the energy back, outside of the obvious, but they need to find it soon.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Gaff didn’t make 5 minutes to start the game. We had 4 points when he went out. He did have 2 of them but to say the offense looked pretty good? At that pace we’d score 32 for the game. I agree he needs to be more aggressive. Drive the ball and find the open man.
he did, the problem was that he passed it to the wrong Tie, (36% on 3's in conference play) instead of to the right Tie (48% on 3's). easy to correct that mistake.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Rahsool Diggins 2021
and ritchie springs is the greatest rebounder in the history of history. as far as our current recruits, with little knowledge for them other than the eye test, i do like the look of that plodding yet calculating guard (mark jacksonish?), and that samson guy feels smooth. and big. yup, smooth and big. nice smile, too.
hey! i just checked out mr diggins' mug! he is that mark jacksonish guy that you mentioned! good call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The difference Gaffney made in the previous game was that he brought the ball up and moved in the offense with urgency. When our point guards move cautiously or glide, the whole offense flounders. Cole was better about that yesterday when he first came in off the bench. But I have to give credit to Coley. PC's press slowed us down to where we had 15 seconds or so left on the shot clock when we set up. And our offense starts with a lot of side-to-side motion up top - which would be fine if anyone looked like a threat to the defense during it - that usually chews up another 4-5 secs before we start to probe the defense or have someone in a position to look to shoot.

Reaction Score
I hear you. What I'm saying is that the offense was moving well, as a team. We may not have been putting the ball in the basket, but I liked the spacing, the passing, and the movement.

Pretty sure Gaffney did not sub out until there were 13 minutes and change left in the half, with his two fouls, but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping Gaffney has a few good practices this week, and starts again vs Xavier on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I hear you. What I'm saying is that the offense was moving well, as a team. We may not have been putting the ball in the basket, but I liked the spacing, the passing, and the movement.

Pretty sure Gaffney did not sub out until there were 13 minutes and change left in the half, with his two fouls, but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping Gaffney has a few good practices this week, and starts again vs Xavier on Saturday.

He deserved his start no doubt but threw it away carelessly while being pressured then did a lot of East-West again do he didn’t take advantage of the chance. Still would go another try next game in place of BA. Cole was better last night and much more aggressive. Problem is we just aren’t dynamic enough in the backcourt period.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
9 (NINE) total assists from the whole team - 6 from Coles
That is a ridiculous stat
DH better get his head screwed on straight and work with these PGs to get something positive out of them
Gaff is the only true PG this team has (HUGE MISTAKE to have 1) and he runs like he is wearing ankle weights
Coles is a SG - he has no PG IQ but tries hard to perform those duties
When it comes down to it, Andre may be the best of the lot
So sad
unacceptable being coached by a former PG`

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
if ever we can mobilize a team of jmoney, james, dre, martin, and adama, 1,2,3,4,5, i would really like our chances against any team in the land this season. that would be 4 guys who can handle, 5 guys who can rebound, 3 guys who can 3, 4 guys who can pass, 4/5 guys who can make a free throw, 2/3 guys who can block shots, 5 guys who can think, 5 guys who can score, and 5 guys who can dunk. the steals will pile up quickly, while turnovers won't be an issue. here's to hoping.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom