Jackson and Martin missed front ends in the last two minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jackson and Martin missed front ends in the last two minutes

Reaction Score
Agree they shouldn’t, but I think it’s easy to overlook DePaul/Creighton when you have a date with Villanova on the road.
It's still possible against Creighton but I think last night was the wake up call they needed for Tuesday. They saw they can't just show up and expect to beat an inferior opponent with their talent alone. I expect them to be ready

Reaction Score
Shinola happens. Texas was up big on Tenn and eked out a win. Imagine suffering through this:
Texas 49-32 with 8:00 left
Texas 51-35 with 5:33 left
Texas 52-51 final

Reaction Score
This is the only thing that bothers me. 5 game winning streak against DePaul, Georgetown, Butler and St. John's. The next 4 games will be revealing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Are you implying you can not improve FT shooting? That it can NOT be cleaned up? It's random? You must have missed Ricky Moore's career.

FT shooting is the only thing in basketball that is exactly the same every single time. Good teams close out games from the line. If we want to be a championship team, making FTs at the end of games is critical. It's necessary.
You think that practicing foul shots a million times will make every one Bill Sharman? If that were so, everyone would be Bill Sharman including Wilt who got fouled as much as anyone and totally sucked at the line. You think these guys don’t do tons of foul shooting drills in practice and on their own? Who besides Donyell would you have had at the line in that Florida NCAA game and that wasn’t even a 1 and 1 and I’ll betcha if you watch a tape of that he wasn’t off by more than an inch. Guys miss foul shots. If they didn’t they would just put the points up. Obviously you try to get the ball into the hands of your best foul shooters in close end game situations. But it can’t always work that way because there is that sticky little problem of another team on the floor trying to prevent it the same way our team tries to do. And even the “right” guy doesn’t make 100%.

Reaction Score
That is the only thing that bothers me about this game. Four points would have made this very comfortable.

Tough game, no one except Cole had it going on. We made enough plays, got enough rebounds to win. But guys can not miss free throws in the last two minutes. Especially not guys who need to need to be in at the end. Gotta clean that up.
I will say this again. During the Calhoun reign when h foul shooting went into the Porta Potty he made them practice that out. In a couple games their foul shot “attitude” turned around. Coaches (include. Assistants) need to determine if the problem is technique or lack of focus. Technique is more conducive to a fix than lack of focus.

And no , no reasonable person expects 100% FT shooting.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Unacceptable performance last night you will have those it’s a matter of how you respond to it, so that it’s not a trend of things to come.
The thing us, while the first half was generally lousy, part of that was the right shooters missing a bigger per cent than usual of shots they can make. Not the best performance but made to look worse by the right shot not falling. Against a better team it wouldn’t turn out so well.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Are our players allowed to have bad games or are they expected to be perfect every outing?
They will vary in their play.
They are college-aged, and we are fans of essentially minor league ball, watching players' talents develop (or not) near the beginning of their (possible) careers.

This is why coaching decisions & game structure are so essential.

There was a media timeout at 5:23 or so, when I was shocked to see how little relationship the style of play synced up with the score & clock. It was definitively time to be all-in on closing out the game, but the team didn't look like they knew or that anybody had told them.

From all appearances, they had already scored almost as many points as they were going to need if they were disciplined enough to let DePaul take hurried shots & foul itself out, work the clock, protect the ball, and maximize the benefits of free throw drills.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You think that practicing foul shots a million times will make every one Bill Sharman?
I bet nobody does.
But there's a lot more room for improvement without setting up a standard of perfection.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
For the heck of it I looked at our FT % by player and ditto for a few other well known programs, Auburn, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Villanova, Gonzaga and Baylor. Obviously a small, unscientific sample. The only of those with more players than UConn in the 70% and higher range are Villanova and Kentucky. Villanova is borderline insane. The point being, I’m pretty sure our foul shooting training isn’t deficient. We are one of the few of those with 2 in the high 80s, Cole and Polley who doesn’t get to the line that much and missed one yesterday. Two of the best foul shooters in our program history, Wes B shot 85% in his best year and Ray 81 in his best. RJ is now just under 90%. Top notch.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I bet nobody does.
But there's a lot more room for improvement without setting up a standard of perfection.
If these players were robots it would be way less interesting. Every foul shot is distinct from every other. They practice plenty.

Reaction Score
I have the exact same feeling. Love the way he plays, but do not want him on the line when nursing a lead. If it is just close and the defense is just going to play, I'll take Martin out on the floor. If you know the other team is going to foul, I'm hesitant to have him on the floor because he struggles from the line in those situations and can be sketcy handling the ball a bit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If these players were robots it would be way less interesting. Every foul shot is distinct from every other. They practice plenty.
You of all (OK, many) people should know that automatons don't make suitable strawmen, and perfection isn't attainable so why bother with such a comparison?

In 2014, you myst have shared my perception that the free throws were going in, and opponents weren't going to catch up.

Even if I don't necessarily agree with his strategy in not fouling, Calipari (who I'm loathe to quote favorably) nonetheless said, paraphrasing, "You knew they were gonna make them."

I submit that you'd like a team more like that, and, in fact, the team went 7-7 in OT against St John's, after being 10-19 in regulation.

It's improvements by degrees in little things that will determine if this team makes it to the second weekend or beyond.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I bet nobody does.
I hope everyone here watched Providence/Marquette. Aside from it being a fun game, both those teams on the average shoot at a better FT clip than UConn and they were no great shakes down the stretch including some good foul shooters. Seriously, some here have expectations that are out of this world as far as our team goes. I’d bet the ranch our team practices foul shooting as typically as any team and generally perform around the average. Of course it depends on the shooter. Cole on the average makes between 1 and 3 more out of 10 than the others. But he misses them too. Practice definitely helps, but getting a player from the low 60s to low 70s is more likely than getting a player in the low 70s to the mid 80s even with practice til the cows come home. For whatever reason, some people have more ability than others to repeat with precision the same desired physical process than others. Touring pro golfers almost all practice a lot but some are just better at controlling the ball flight or putting than others regardless of practice.

ETA. If a team that went 7-7 in OT that went 10-19 in regulation suddenly figured out how to shoot foul shots during a time out it doesn't make a shred of sense to me that the practice routine is the issue. It depends on who is shooting to a point, but at bottom each shot is it’s own little universe and some are just going to miss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the next month with a more challenging schedule. Made FTs will be critical to the outcome of some of our games. Our opponents scout us as we do them. They know who to foul and put on the line. My guess is that whenever possible--It won't be RJ or Tyler. The other guys on the floor need to be able to get it done at crunch time at the line.

Repetition(practice) and muscle memory (pre-shot routine) helps increase the odds. Nova's success over the recent years has been enhanced by their FT shooting. Not a bad example to aspire to

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Polley needs to be on court in end of game situations. He's been great being a target to receive passes against the press, makes good, quick decisions to break the press and is onions good at the FT line. Defense and rebounding are always an issue. I'd have no problem with the offense/defense subbing between Polley and Martin.

Martin is what he is. A career high 60's percent FT shooter. Dre is a decent FT shooter and I'll take my chances with him on the line.

Martin

1643638776213.png

Jackson

1643638849207.png

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Polley needs to be on court in end of game situations. He's been great being a target to receive passes against the press, makes good, quick decisions to break the press and is onions good at the FT line. Defense and rebounding are always an issue. I'd have no problem with the offense/defense subbing between Polley and Martin.

Martin is what he is. A career high 60's percent FT shooter. Dre is a decent FT shooter and I'll take my chances with him on the line.

Martin

View attachment 72855

Jackson

View attachment 72856
I think Polley was in the game instead of Sanogo.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In the next month with a more challenging schedule. Made FTs will be critical to the outcome of some of our games. Our opponents scout us as we do them. They know who to foul and put on the line. My guess is that whenever possible--It won't be RJ or Tyler. The other guys on the floor need to be able to get it done at crunch time at the line.

Repetition(practice) and muscle memory (pre-shot routine) helps increase the odds. Nova's success over the recent years has been enhanced by their FT shooting. Not a bad example to aspire to
Yes. But Nova is unusual. The premise that UConn players don’t practice foul shooting enough I suspect is far from true. It might be interesting to learn if Nova focuses more on foul shooting than UConn or any other programs. Maybe they are just better shooters. UConn player stats are pretty normal for even the best teams. The players at this level have been practicing foul shooting for years. I get more interested in players who get to this level and have obvious bad form and relatively poor results. To me it’s hard to know why a player like Martin who has decent form can’t get above high 60s.

Reaction Score
As a team we shoot fts better than most in our league. In fact we do much of everything better. Am I the only one enjoying our success so far?
https://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2021-2022/confldrs.htm

Reaction Score
As a team we shoot fts better than most in our league. In fact we do much of everything better. Am I the only one enjoying our success so far?
https://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2021-2022/confldrs.htm
Win Total ? OP showing a great deal of optimism.

Reaction Score
Bad games shooting the ball happen no doubt. But crappy overall team defense and shoddy ball handling/passing shouldn’t for a team that understands they’re not great unless they pay attention. For much of last night they didn’t pay attention to the detail. Very fortunate it was a DePaul team missing their best. And even more important they had a huge step up game from RJ.

Maybe they’re playing 4-D chess and we’re playing checkers. Deliberately decided to get their bad games out of the way collectively vs. the team they could afford to.

Setting us up to play our best ball against the upcoming gauntlet

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think Polley was in the game instead of Sanogo.

I'd keep Sanogo in there too as the sole post player. Yes, he is inconsistent with FT's but I'd rather have him than Martin on FT line.

When trying to finish out a game, this is the lineup I want on the floor for teams to play pick the shooter for fouls.

Jax and Polley have been a great one two for catching and passing to break the press.

Cole
Jackson
Polley
Sanogo
Gaff

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'd keep Sanogo in there too as the sole post player. Yes, he is inconsistent with FT's but I'd rather have him than Martin on FT line.

When trying to finish out a game, this is the lineup I want on the floor for teams to play pick the shooter for fouls.

Jax and Polley have been a great one two for catching and passing to break the press.

Cole
Jackson
Polley
Sanogo
Gaff
Purely from a foul shooting perspective that’s the 5. Hawkins stats are ok but too small a sample size. The question. I think with Martin gets to be how much time is left and what’s the point differential. Up a point or two with under 30 seconds and your team is going to be pressed, which 5 are the best accounting for both foul shooting and ability to help break a press. I’m not paid enough to decide.

Reaction Score

Cole
Jackson
Polley
Sanogo
Gaff
This is the best FT shooting lineup, but I suspect Martin is out there because of his toughness and low propensity for turnovers.

Gaffney is a great FT shooter, but you don't trust him to avoid dribbling into trouble, picking it up in a bad place, and getting tied up.

Polley can't dribble and isn't going to out-tough someone for a contested catch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom