j im Calhoun Sounds Like He's Nearing Retirement | The Boneyard

j im Calhoun Sounds Like He's Nearing Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
seriously?: Calhoun says he has waffled on his decision on whether or not to return for months. "Depends on how I feel sometimes," he said. "But I'm very close to knowing. I'm just going to wake up one morning and I will know what is the right thing to do. I always said if I ever come here and say, 'Jeez I'm not sure, I will know it's time.''

I love JC but he is chipping away at the mountain of respect i have for him.
JC(march): I haven't made up my mind yet you'll know two weeks after the end of the season
JC(april-july): I haven't made up my mind but hey i'm recruiting that may mean something or not you'll know if i'm there at the beginning of the season
JC(august): I haven't made up my mind but look, really, i may say something when i know; and i'll know when i feel like it... maybe.

Reaction Score

To attempt to read or judge Calhoun based only on the filtered information you get through the extraordinarily narrow slit of media snippets . . . . . . . . . is folly, and he deserves better.

Has the man not earned your fealty?
And your respect?
And your devotion?

Do you doubt that he is, currently, working to put the program in the best place possible when he steps down?

Do you have so little faith that you think JC would, through caprice and/or indecision and/or selfishness damage the program?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
seriously?: Calhoun says he has waffled on his decision on whether or not to return for months. "Depends on how I feel sometimes," he said. "But I'm very close to knowing. I'm just going to wake up one morning and I will know what is the right thing to do. I always said if I ever come here and say, 'Jeez I'm not sure, I will know it's time.''

JC(march): I haven't made up my mind yet you'll know two weeks after the end of the season
JC(april-july): I haven't made up my mind but hey i'm recruiting that may mean something or not you'll know if i'm there at the beginning of the season
JC(august): I haven't made up my mind but look, really, i may say something when i know; and i'll know when i feel like it... maybe.
hes done more than enough to take his time and is hasnt hurt recruiting either... theres a lot more going on that we dont know about

Reaction Score
hes done more than enough to take his time and is hasnt hurt recruiting either... theres a lot more going on that we dont know about

Very good thoughts on JC by you and dapriest......bravo for supporting the man who made every college hoops season special since 89-90.......and even an '88 NIT win...........he deserves whatever he does and however he does it now.........no two ways about it!!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Yea sorry, I know a handful of people are going to come in here and whine about the way Calhoun is handling this but that's not going to be me.

- 873 wins (625 at UConn)
- Hall of Famer
- 3 National Championships
- 26 players who have gone on to play professionally

The man has spent the past 25 years curating the UConn "family" and atmosphere we all enjoy today. He will get a big, giant "THANK YOU" from me whenever he decides to call it quits, regardless of the situation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
the man earns all the time he wants. I wonder if this is his way to get ollie as coach
Exactly.

There is nothing like a fan who has done squat for the program, other than to join the ride JC provided, to sincerely believe their opinion about how JC should approach his decision to retire would have any value to JC. I say to that fan establish your own program of success and bow out in the manner you are comfortable with. That doesn't mean you are correct. It only means this is how you approach these situations. There is no universal approach to emotional decisions. It's purely subjective.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Exactly.

There is nothing like a fan who has done squat for the program, other than to join the ride JC provided, to sincerely believe their opinion about how JC should approach his decision to retire would have any value to JC. I say to that fan establish your own program of success and bow out in the manner you are comfortable with. That doesn't mean you are correct. It only means this is how you approach these situations. There is no universal approach to emotional decisions. It's purely subjective.

There you are....long time, no post. Welcome back.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun has earned a certain amount of leeway at UConn. He hung banners like he found them on sale, he recruited the paint off the walls and he made the NBA look like a UConn graduate program. Whatever we have is what he gave us.

Conversely...he didn't get much flak from the faithful over the NCAA violations and we certainly pointed our guns in another direction over the APR issues. The weeks-long breaks here and there have largely been met with concern and not consternation. Even the constant waffling about retirement which, despite dopey assertions to the contrary, have impacted recruiting, have not blown back on him.

He has earned and received leeway in great big bucketfuls.

But the UConn basketball program is bigger than he is. There was a wonderful run to the title a year ago, but generally, it's no mystery that the program is not as strong as it was ten years ago. Unfortunately, teams recruiting against UConn can swing a really, really big hammer by simply repeating Calhoun's own words to prospective recruits.

He feeds that with interruption whenever someone puts a microphone in front of him. There's a refreshing honesty in that he won't lie about his intentions just to get a recruit, but duck*, he needs to get to the bottom of his intentions sooner rather than later. If he wants to retire, retire. If he wants to coach, coach. Limbo is not acceptable.

It's September 6th...it'd be kinda nice to know who's coaching the team this season.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Welcome back Fleud!!!! :) Now, all we need is intzcoaster (sp) to return.

BTW I totally agree with you.

Reaction Score
To attempt to read or judge Calhoun based only on the filtered information you get through the extraordinarily narrow slit of media snippets . . . . . . . . . is folly, and he deserves better.

Has the man not earned your fealty?
And your respect?
And your devotion?

Do you doubt that he is, currently, working to put the program in the best place possible when he steps down?

Do you have so little faith that you think JC would, through caprice and/or indecision and/or selfishness damage the program?
Well actually he wouldn't be the first coach to think he is bigger than the school or the program he established...Woody Hayes, Bob Knight, Lute Olsen, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno all come to mind without even trying. If this is a ploy to get his way on Ollie, he loses a ton of respect both here and nationally I think. If Ollie is a losuy coach, as I suspect he will be, or even just a mediocre one, he'll lose even more. Calhoun has done a great job...better than anyone had any right to expect, in his career at UConn. But that doesn't mean he hasn't done damage to the very program he worked so hard to establish. Nate Miles was a nightmare that remains an embarrassment. The various NCAA scuffles, the APR fiasco...those are all self inflicted wounds because Calhoun didn't figure the rules would apply to him. The current damaged state of the program, reduced scholarships, no big East or NCAA tournaments, those are all on Calhoun. Now this retirement nonsense just so he can get his way on the next head coach and one up the new Athletic Director...yeah, he would never damage the program on the way out the door...he had best be right about Ollie by the way. If UConn under Coach Ollie spends the next 3 seasons in the NIT or worse, Calhoun's legacy will be one of just another coach who didn't know when to quit. And that would be very sad.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

I hope your sabbatical from boneyard brought you true joy and contentment. Last week I was watching an episode of Gilligan's Island and couldn't help but think of you.

I figured you had become a castaway after being shipwrecked on a desert island. Hopefully GINGER took good care of you Professor!

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
Fleudslipcon brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan
The Fleudslipcon too,
The millionaire and his wife,
The movie star :p
The Fleudslipcon and Mary Ann,
Here on Gilligans Isle.

So this is the tale of the castways,
They're here for a long, long time,
They'll have to make the best of things,
It's an uphill climb.

The first mate and the Fleudslipcon too,
Will do their very best,
To make the others comfortable,
In the tropic island nest.

No phone, no lights no motor cars,
Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,
As primative as can be.

So join us here each week my friends,
You're sure to get a smile,
From seven stranded castways,
Here on "Gilligan's Isle."

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun has earned a certain amount of leeway at UConn. He hung banners like he found them on sale, he recruited the paint off the walls and he made the NBA look like a UConn graduate program. Whatever we have is what he gave us.

Conversely...he didn't get much flak from the faithful over the NCAA violations and we certainly pointed our guns in another direction over the APR issues. The weeks-long breaks here and there have largely been met with concern and not consternation. Even the constant waffling about retirement which, despite dopey assertions to the contrary, have impacted recruiting, have not blown back on him.

He has earned and received leeway in great big bucketfuls.

But the UConn basketball program is bigger than he is. There was a wonderful run to the title a year ago, but generally, it's no mystery that the program is not as strong as it was ten years ago. Unfortunately, teams recruiting against UConn can swing a really, really big hammer by simply repeating Calhoun's own words to prospective recruits.

He feeds that with interruption whenever someone puts a microphone in front of him. There's a refreshing honesty in that he won't lie about his intentions just to get a recruit, but duck*, he needs to get to the bottom of his intentions sooner rather than later. If he wants to retire, retire. If he wants to coach, coach. Limbo is not acceptable.

It's September 6th...it'd be kinda nice to know who's coaching the team this season.

I agree his indecision has impacted recruiting.

Like it or not JC is the UConn program. There was minimal national significance with the program before his arrival. No one can declare with certainty that absent JC UConn would/could have attained any of the success he brought to the program. No one can be certain post JC there will be further banners.
It's the double edged sword for any program that rises to incredible prominence on the back of one person.
I'm satisfied with three NC's. Certainly I prefer more. But I was never expecting one. So my expectations have been satisfied.

It's not easy for some people who have poured their soul into a project to know when it's time to say goodbye. I thought JC should have left after the second banner. I'm glad he didn't.

He has earned the right to waffle imo. He would have earned it just on the basis of his dedication to UConn when he had other options and decided to be loyal to the university (post first NC). The three NC's are just extra badges for our choice to be supportive of him. I won't support his indiscretions. But I will be supportive of how he approaches his retirement no matter how it affects the program.

Reaction Score

Like it or not JC is the UConn program. There was minimal national significance with the program before his arrival. No one can declare with certainty that absent JC UConn would/could have attained any of the success he brought to the program. No one can be certain post JC there will be further banners.
It's the double edged sword for any program that rises to incredible prominence on the back of one person.
I'm satisfied with three NC's. Certainly I prefer more. But I was never expecting one. So my expectations have been satisfied.

It's not easy for some people who have poured their soul into a project to know when it's time to say goodbye. I thought JC should have left after the second banner. I'm glad he didn't.

He has earned the right to waffle imo. He would have earned it just on the basis of his dedication to UConn when he had other options and decided to be loyal to the university (post first NC). The three NC's are just extra badges for our choice to be supportive of him. I won't support his indiscretions. But I will be supportive of how he approaches his retirement no matter how it affects the program.
Did Ginger make you 1 to many Pina Colada's on the island?! :D

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Well actually he wouldn't be the first coach to think he is bigger than the school or the program he established...Woody Hayes, Bob Knight, Lute Olsen, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno all come to mind without even trying. If this is a ploy to get his way on Ollie, he loses a ton of respect both here and nationally I think. If Ollie is a losuy coach, as I suspect he will be, or even just a mediocre one, he'll lose even more. Calhoun has done a great job...better than anyone had any right to expect, in his career at UConn. But that doesn't mean he hasn't done damage to the very program he worked so hard to establish. Nate Miles was a nightmare that remains an embarrassment. The various NCAA scuffles, the APR fiasco...those are all self inflicted wounds because Calhoun didn't figure the rules would apply to him. The current damaged state of the program, reduced scholarships, no big East or NCAA tournaments, those are all on Calhoun. Now this retirement nonsense just so he can get his way on the next head coach and one up the new Athletic Director...yeah, he would never damage the program on the way out the door...he had best be right about Ollie by the way. If UConn under Coach Ollie spends the next 3 seasons in the NIT or worse, Calhoun's legacy will be one of just another coach who didn't know when to quit. And that would be very sad.

The APR and Miles fiasco was the desire of the previous AD and the current president of the NCAA to get back at JC - nothing more, nothing less. As the ruling by the NCAA over UNC has born out, vendetta and not some desire to maintain integrity with college sports is the major mover and shaker. The actions by the NCAA are primarily cosmetic and superficial. There is no real attempt to keep athletics at a high standard.

To get all holier than thou regarding any of these episodes is absurd when so much evidence exists regarding a lack of integrity on the part of the NCAA.

IMO you are very transparent about your motives regarding JC, you don't like the man. You presume that JC's actions about retirement have ulterior motives - to strong arm the AD into taking Ollie. There is no proof that this is behind JC's indecision. What we know is that he spent a lot of time with the program, that he had opportunities to make more money elsewhere but chose to stay at UConn and make the program elite. It was a loyalty thing for him. It isn't hard to imagine his indecision is based on a difficulty in leaving something he has worked so hard to develop. But that idea would be gracious - something hard to do when there is such disregard for an individual.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Did Ginger make you 1 to many Pina Colada's on the island?! :D
Not shipwrecked. Just the end of a tough season, the offseason, and not much desire to look at things in a gracious manner.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Do I think JC has earned the right to "go out" however he sees fit? Sure. But I also think fans have a right to question and complain. This whole concept that "Mr. Fan, you've never accomplished anything at the University so you have the right to zip it" is bull. Fans basically pay for his salary, albeit in many round about ways. We to go games, buy products hawked by the University, and companies we work for and support make big time donations. The university can afford to pay JC a boatload of cash because the MCBB team is very successful and makes a $hitload of $$ for the university.

I've not read anything that it's really hurt recruiting. 2 random recruits said they took UCONN off their list because they weren't sure who the next HC would be? Well that would be the case no matter what since JC is old, about to retire, and most AD's won't name a HC in waiting. Big deal. we lost a couple of recruits over the next year. If the HC search is done well and we get a great guy in there, recruiting will pick back up again.

These are message boards. People are going to come on here and spout their opinions. the people who post on here probably represent less than 5% of the UCONN fans out there. Having said that, I wish JC would stop playing games and being cryptic in his "will he or won't he" so the University can move forward with a search for his replacement.

Reaction Score
Not shipwrecked. Just the end of a tough season, the offseason, and not much desire to look at things in a gracious manner.
As long as you are ok then I can breath a big sigh of relief! This year will be very exciting! Some great teams to follow this year. Then next year UConn saddles up for a nice sweet journey to paradise! We have so much to look forward to! Hope springs eternal in Husky land! Great to have you back!!

Reaction Score
If UConn under Coach Ollie spends the next 3 seasons in the NIT or worse, Calhoun's legacy will be one of just another coach who didn't know when to quit.
Calhoun could coach 10 years more and leave the program in the hands of Rebecca Lobo and that would not be his legacy.

I'm sorry. Did I miss something today?

Was there a national stupid-pill drive or something on the morning TV?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Like it or not JC is the UConn program.

He has earned the right to waffle imo. .

1) Jim Calhoun is not the UConn basketball program and it's wrongheaded to think he is. The Packers played football after Lombardi and UConn will play basketball after Calhoun - no coach is bigger than their program and that is an absolute.

2) He's waffled. He's waffled a lot and for a long, long time. It's time to stop.

There's no wrong decision here - whatever he does, it's good.

If Calhoun commits to coaching this year, we're happy.

If Calhoun retires, we're happy for him and can start looking ahead while also trying to find s*** to name after him and places to put his statue.

Just enough dicking around.

Reaction Score
1) Jim Calhoun is not the UConn basketball program and it's wrongheaded to think he is. The Packers played football after Lombardi and UConn will play basketball after Calhoun - no coach is bigger than their program and that is an absolute.

2) He's waffled. He's waffled a lot and for a long, long time. It's time to stop.

There's no wrong decision here - whatever he does, it's good.

If Calhoun commits to coaching this year, we're happy.

If Calhoun retires, we're happy for him and can start looking ahead while also trying to find s*** to name after him and places to put his statue.

Just enough dicking around.

Fishy VS. Fleudslip...

Its like Frazier vs ALI or ALI vs Frazier!!

Pass the Jiffy POP!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan