It's time for the Big East to add Gonzaga. | The Boneyard

It's time for the Big East to add Gonzaga.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
With the B1G and SEC both going to 16 teams, that means more bids for both. We can't be sitting at 11 when the other power leagues are at 16, 16, 15, 12, 10+.
I do think if we were to add Gonzaga, getting to 12 would help numerically and in prestige. It would also help our TV deal. I think the calculus has changed for Gonzaga in the last few days. They are looking around and realizing college basketball is consolidating as well. As far as UConn, I have gamed out the scenarios and the tea leaves suggest ND is staying with its status quo, which means the ACC stays put. The realignment dominoes are the Pac-12 vs. the Big 12 in a fight to the deal (AKA not our problem). What is our problem is getting as many bids as possible into the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
With the B1G and SEC both going to 16 teams, that means more bids for both. We can't be sitting at 11 when the other power leagues are at 16, 16, 15, 12, 10+.
I do think if we were to add Gonzaga, getting to 12 would help numerically and in prestige. It would also help our TV deal. I think the calculus has changed for Gonzaga in the last few days. They are looking around and realizing college basketball is consolidating as well. As far as UConn, I have gamed out the scenarios and the tea leaves suggest ND is staying with its status quo, which means the ACC stays put. The realignment dominoes are the Pac-12 vs. the Big 12 in a fight to the deal (AKA not our problem). What is our problem is getting as many bids as possible into the NCAA tournament.
Big East is not a power league. Needs to be a temporary home for UConn, not a permanent residence. The Big East will become an afterthought with the development of the new super leagues.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uh no...

Conference realignment has literally (and I mean that in the literal not figurative sense) nothing to do with basketball

It doesn't but it does.

More teams in conference means more bids. Ecentually bids will turn in to wins and credits. Yea, more mouths to feed and distribute those credits but eventually quantity becomes a quality.

Reaction Score
Oh God GIF by DuroflexWorld

Reaction Score
It will ultimately affect basketball like it did us 10 years ago.
Completely different scenarios...10 yrs ago we got left behind as everyone chased...wait for it...football $. In a basketball only conference the only team that can/would go anywhere now is us (if we're so lucky)

@Chin Diesel 's comment is the only way it eventually affects us, but even then there's 1 maybe 2 if Kansas was possible (likely not) teams that'd be a slight net positive...by the time we're chasing qty for bids it'll be a losing battle against the 20+ team super conferences

doomed

Reaction Score
No offense, but the Ivy League is the only remaining athletic league which understands how athletics fit into a broader academic curriculum. Athletics, driven by regional athletic rivalries, can help to develop young people into superior individuals, both on and off the field. The concept of adding a team from the state of Washington to an eastern conference to add to the college experience is completely misguided. Please feel free to tell me how great it will be that our university will make some inconsequential incremental revenue from the addition. I won’t be convinced.

Reaction Score
I mean, sure, adding Gonzaga is a nice band-aid and helps the Big East. But the idea that adding Gonzaga is going to help the keep up in the arms race with the football power conferences is laughably ignorant

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Please no. They don't do anything for the Big East except consume some revenue and add a lot of travel cost. Net negative for every other program. It would be great for Gonzaga perhaps.

Reaction Score
Big East is not a power league. Needs to be a temporary home for UConn, not a permanent residence. The Big East will become an afterthought with the development of the new super leagues.
The superconferences will take the NCAA tourney bids and the Big East will be a one bid conference. Big East schools will be unable to compete with schools paying the players more than the Big East schools make. The move to the Big East may have saved basketball, but again, it is a temporary fix.

Reaction Score
The Big East is going to do whatever FOX tells them to do. Considering Gonzaga is currently in the WCC under ESPN, it's a no brainer for FOX to want to steal them from a competitor. It probably hasn't happened already because the Big East deals runs out in 2025 and don't want to commit to this to early before they need to with how much everything is moving around.

At the same time, the Big East needs to worry about the Power Conferences stealing the NCAA tourney for themselves. The more they bolster themselves with big name basketball properties, the greater the likelihood they won't be left out, but not guarantee.

It's a silly move for a multitude of reasons already discussed in the dozens of other threads that have brought this up, but will probably happen for reasons 1, 2 and 3 that probably FOX wants it, but the Big East leadership probably wants it too for the additional exposure, branding, money, and prestige. There is a lot of risk involved with Gonzaga but it's one I think they are willing to take for reasons above.

And Gonzaga, despite the travel hurdles, will oblige because I am sure whatever ESPN pays the WCC is pennies compared to a FOX / Big East deal. ESPN's only counter would be to tell the PAC to take them on as member.

Reaction Score
The superconferences will take the NCAA tourney bids and the Big East will be a one bid conference. Big East schools will be unable to compete with schools paying the players more than the Big East schools make. The move to the Big East may have saved basketball, but again, it is a temporary fix.
Sad but true

Reaction Score
My question is what happens to the Gonzaga’s and Villanova’s (basketball only juggernauts) 15-20 years from now?

Do they have their own separate league? Are they still competing with the power conferences at all?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BE doesn't have to do a darn thing but wait to see which premier basketball schools become available now that their FB programs have to go independent.

Gonzaga, please.

Reaction Score
Even if Gonzaga was in Seattle let alone Spokane it wouldn't be worth it. Heck, if they were in Denver still not worth it. No team should ever be added to the Big East from farther away than Omaha (Creighton) unless they're Kansas.

Mark Few ain't going to be there forever. Will they be worth it with him gone? Hard to tell -- but not worth adding to the BE regardless.

Reaction Score
I’ll never get why UConn fans wouldn’t want it.

It’s not going to hurt or effect us. It’s all on Zaga.

Reaction Score
Remnants of the PAC 12 will go hybrid and add Gonzaga, a much better fit for the Zags than the Big East.

Reaction Score
Why will it be true? I know I won’t be spending a nickel to watch “super” conferences.
As long as you have cable and sports packages, you will be spending more than a nickel on them. As long as you pay cable for ESPN and Fox you will be paying for them. My comment is simply that the super conferences will get all the money, the leftovers of the current P5 will get a middle amount, and the non football midmajors, like the Big East, will get even less.

Reaction Score
Even if Gonzaga was in Seattle let alone Spokane it wouldn't be worth it. Heck, if they were in Denver still not worth it. No team should ever be added to the Big East from farther away than Omaha (Creighton) unless they're Kansas.

Mark Few ain't going to be there forever. Will they be worth it with him gone? Hard to tell -- but not worth adding to the BE regardless.

Geography much? Lawrence, Kansas is closer to the rest of the Big East than Omaha, Nebraska. Not further.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
The Big East is going to do whatever FOX tells them to do. Considering Gonzaga is currently in the WCC under ESPN, it's a no brainer for FOX to want to steal them from a competitor. It probably hasn't happened already because the Big East deals runs out in 2025 and don't want to commit to this to early before they need to with how much everything is moving around.

At the same time, the Big East needs to worry about the Power Conferences stealing the NCAA tourney for themselves. The more they bolster themselves with big name basketball properties, the greater the likelihood they won't be left out, but not guarantee.

It's a silly move for a multitude of reasons already discussed in the dozens of other threads that have brought this up, but will probably happen for reasons 1, 2 and 3 that probably FOX wants it, but the Big East leadership probably wants it too for the additional exposure, branding, money, and prestige. There is a lot of risk involved with Gonzaga but it's one I think they are willing to take for reasons above.

And Gonzaga, despite the travel hurdles, will oblige because I am sure whatever ESPN pays the WCC is pennies compared to a FOX / Big East deal. ESPN's only counter would be to tell the PAC to take them on as member.
You think adding Gonzaga will stop the power conferences?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom