It's not NIL or the roster, Jim | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's not NIL or the roster, Jim

Reaction Score
that PI that wasn't called was a key play in the game..the defensive back pushed Clercius out of bounds well before the ball arrived. they score TD there and it is a 2 score advantage and a field goal would be up by 7. Officials clearly blew that one and they had a lot of questionable calls, but they are all knowing. the tackling was abysmal. Carter Hooper had Brown stopped if he just wrapped him up, but He spun off of him and got a critical 1st down. It would have been 4th and about 8. So many players were hitting but not wrapping up. That 4th quarter is a main reason that Charlton has to go 3 weeks ago.
Who were the refs today? AAC?

Reaction Score
Over this season and last we lost our two best receivers and three top running backs. My guess is that money played a part in that. Recruiting and retaining talent will be driven to a tremendous degree by money and I think it’s just getting started. UCONN may or may not decide to participate at that level.

Reaction Score
So you really want to tell me that our rosters were not evenly matched today? Do you really think USF had more talent? Do you think we went scoreless in the third and first quarter because of the players?

Your last sentence describes how a game between evenly matched talent tends to go. We outplayed them at times, they outplayed us at times. We lost because we lost the turnover battle 4-1. We had multiple big drops on both sides of the ball. Those are players not making plays

Reaction Score
We could not stop the USF passing game in the second half. Their OC made an adjustment - and we had no DC, except the head coach, to counter.

Please Jim Mora, for the love of god, hire a defensive coordinator.
Did anyone notice Mora talking with Todd Orlando after the game? Also, did anybody notice late in the game, Mora had his arm wrapped around one of the assistant coaches so tightly that I could see so it was. It could have been Charlton but not sure, anyway it looked like a talking to.

Reaction Score
So we don't want to mention the awful special teams every week? Or the decision to let McFadden keep kicking when Ruelas can regularly put it through the end zone?

Imagine being the special teams coach and head coach. You routinely have a kicker who puts it to the 10 and a kick off team that can't tackle and let's opponents start at the 40 multiple times per game

You have a kicker on your bench who can almost put it through the upright on the kick off and you don't let him kick off? He also has a better kicking history than the existing guy and you... don't make him the place kicker?

This is the stuff that costs us games and it's all coaching. Not putting the right guys out there and not playing to players strengths is coaching. It's terrible
The determination to run McFadden out week after week when he isn’t getting it done and we’ve benched a starter from the prior year who did better is truly astounding.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The determination to run McFadden out week after week when he isn’t getting it done and we’ve benched a starter from the prior year who did better is truly astounding.
How many touchbacks does he have? Seems he can‘t reach the end zone. I think Ruelas has played one game so maybe he can redshirt.

Reaction Score
Until the team gets serious about football, we have what we have. There are things that can be done, but Mora is right, with no conference the players he is getting are for the most part only what everyone else doesn't want. No conference means no national TV, and not talking about CBS Sports Network. So what we have is a bad team that really the best to hope for at least for now is maybe a bowl game. A low tier one. Playing before a 2/3 empty rent against nobody in particular. The answer is simple...CONFERENCE. Until then you ain't getting some great coach unless you find one at a lower level school on their way up. That is what we're dealing with.

Reaction Score
Until the team gets serious about football, we have what we have. There are things that can be done, but Mora is right, with no conference the players he is getting are for the most part only what everyone else doesn't want. No conference means no national TV, and not talking about CBS Sports Network. So what we have is a bad team that really the best to hope for at least for now is maybe a bowl game. A low tier one. Playing before a 2/3 empty rent against nobody in particular. The answer is simple...CONFERENCE. Until then you ain't getting some great coach unless you find one at a lower level school on their way up. That is what we're dealing with.
This is what every G5 school is dealing with and all are playing before empty stands.

Reaction Score
Yes, the same players who won 6 games last year were told we were not in a conference in the off season and started losing.

Imagine if we told them we were in CUSA, we would be heading for another bowl!
In the history of college football you can count on one hand the number of Independent programs that have thrived. Back in the day Penn State, Syracuse, and others decided to join conferences. The military schools will always have an audience. Then there is Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
If Mora can't see how bad his OC is, that's a problem with Mora. He's probably the worst offensive coordinator I've witnessed in many years watching football, pro and college. Mora's defense coaching is also a disaster. Those choices are on him.

Reaction Score
Getting rid of Mora after he had our 1 respectable season in the last 8 years only last year would be crazy.

I do agree he has been terrible year and we should be 4-3 if we had better coaching, but he certainly earned a year 3 regardless of how bad its been. Were not getting killed in games.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I see the Yahoo patrol is out in full force. Last year you all were singing his praises except Mr. Negative who has not posted in a while .

Reaction Score
Mora has not had a good 2nd year but NIL/No Conference is a killer. This roster has a lot of holes.

Reaction Score
I see the Yahoo patrol is out in full force. Last year you all were singing his praises except Mr. Negative who has not posted in a while .
I’m confused. Are you implying that folks someone shouldn’t be praising someone in any profession when they are over performing, and shouldn’t be upset when someone is underperforming?

Reaction Score
Man I was draaaaaaaagged for being skeptical about a retread that couldn’t find a job anywhere else

It’s sad. How do we find a staff who cares, wins, and stays. Being independent is a killer

Reaction Score
Wrong. I see no evidence of him quitting on the team.
I think that speech last week said it all. Looking for an out. I would not have minded it post season, but not now, especially before a winnable game.

Reaction Score
It's you and your coaching staff.

We have enough talent to be 4-3 right now and you guys pissed it away.
I don’t know if it was due to the AD deficit, or driven by ego, but Mora being the DC arguable predestine us to failure this year. That and the former Maine head coach OC putting the Maine QB first almost guaranteed a bad season. Additionally, the OC poorly evaluated running backs vs. receivers. Our 3 best play makers were running backs but he insisted at playing only one at a time. Are QB play hadn’t been great but the drop passes also hurt.
The block extra point was the exclamation point of the head coach not being the CEO of the team but a niche technocrat.
A season that started with promise, disappointed. Even the weather did not cooperate to aid home attendance after NC State.
I have said this before and will say it again. Until UConn actually controls and profits from its home game locations, it will be very difficult to make the money necessary to be successful. Even if successful with good crowds, given the current arrangements our ceilings for XL and The Rent is to break even.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are some serious problems that ultimately stop at the top of the organization. The decision to keep Charlton is on Mora. The decision to run without a DC is on Mora. The decision to allow an incompetent special teams coach to keep running special teams is on Mora. The decision not to pay up for quality coaches is on Benedict. The lack of an effective NIL program is on Benedict. The inability to close a deal with the B12 is on Benedict, the trustees and the State. Everywhere it matters we have failures to execute. Forget the players, the people at the top of food chain are delivering.
Honestly, we failed the Big 12 at the College Presidents level. Dave did ok with the Big 12 Commissioner. But at some point conference realignment comes down to the Presidents level. It has been way too long since we have had a President as a plugged in influential member of that club.
As for NIL, I was seriously considering assisting with an event during October but unfortunately the only time it would have been successful was before the first game.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Maybe why the staff has offered a kicker

Reaction Score
If Mora can't see how bad his OC is, that's a problem with Mora. He's probably the worst offensive coordinator I've witnessed in many years watching football, pro and college. Mora's defense coaching is also a disaster. Those choices are on him.
You don't think Jolly throwing a pass is a great play?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom