It's Been Over 19 Years ... | The Boneyard

It's Been Over 19 Years ...

Reaction Score
... since the Thunderchickens came to the Rent the year we opened it. I remember three things from that Saturday afternoon with my two sons, then 14 and 10:

1. We received the opening kickoff and then went between 70 and 80 yards for a TD, which I seem to recall came on a roughly 20 yard swing pass from Orlovsky to pre-injury Terry Caulley.

2. The game was winnable, but after the opening drive we couldn't put a drive together because every receiver on the roster came down with the dropsies on the same afternoon. It was amazing how many times Dan O hit someone in the hands and the ball hit the ground. I vaguely remember Keron Henry, the converted QB from Brooklyn, dropping a few.

3. That was the first time I ever tailgated. After showing up an hour early for the Indiana opener and getting to our seats just in time, figured we might as well leave two hours early and have a meal. So a cheap $20 grill without a stand from the drugstore and a simple meal of burgers, chips and beer later, a tradition was started.

Hoping for a better result this time around. The game isn't critical to this year being a good first year for Mora, but it is for bowl eligibility and beating BC in football would also be its own reward.

Reaction Score
... since the Thunderchickens came to the Rent the year we opened it. I remember three things from that Saturday afternoon with my two sons, then 14 and 10:

1. We received the opening kickoff and then went between 70 and 80 yards for a TD, which I seem to recall came on a roughly 20 yard swing pass from Orlovsky to pre-injury Terry Caulley.

2. The game was winnable, but after the opening drive we couldn't put a drive together because every receiver on the roster came down with the dropsies on the same afternoon. It was amazing how many times Dan O hit someone in the hands and the ball hit the ground. I vaguely remember Keron Henry, the converted QB from Brooklyn, dropping a few.

3. That was the first time I ever tailgated. After showing up an hour early for the Indiana opener and getting to our seats just in time, figured we might as well leave two hours early and have a meal. So a cheap $20 grill without a stand from the drugstore and a simple meal of burgers, chips and beer later, a tradition was started.

Hoping for a better result this time around. The game isn't critical to this year being a good first year for Mora, but it is for bowl eligibility and beating BC in football would also be its own reward.

Reaction Score
It was my first game at the Rent. We had a mix of UConn and BC fans in our group. Lots of hate to the BC fans, but I’m not expecting much hate tomorrow as I am again going with a mixed group.

Reaction Score
I remember there was a very intense atmosphere at the Rent that day, the stadium was full and the crowd was jacked. It was anybody's game at halftime but much like the recent Ball State game the offense couldn't get out of it's own way in the second half. Another memory is ticket scalpers selling tickets at a hefty premium, it was an event.

Reaction Score
Donald Brown’s last year here he won the NCAA rushing crown by a few hundred yards. He wouldn’t have had the stats playing alongside Orlovsky, but I’m still not sure that pre-injury TC wasn’t just as good.

Reaction Score
I remember there was a very intense atmosphere at the Rent that day, the stadium was full and the crowd was jacked. It was anybody's game at halftime but much like the recent Ball State game the offense couldn't get out of it's own way in the second half. Another memory is ticket scalpers selling tickets at a hefty premium, it was an event.

Friggin Nuzie!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shockingly, they didn't cover my tailgate effort. (And it was an 8 yard Caulley run. Oh well.)
20 yards sounds better.

Reaction Score
It was my first game at the Rent. We had a mix of UConn and BC fans in our group. Lots of hate to the BC fans, but I’m not expecting much hate tomorrow as I am again going with a mixed group.
I was there and it was one of one times I was a bit embarrassed by our fan conduct - too much harassment of BC Fans coming in / at game and I remember thinking let’s act like we’ve been here before. This included throwing things at them etc. It was a let down on the field that day but nice to see the Rent packed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Orlovsky never beat BCU. But that was mostly HCRE's fault.

Reaction Score
Donald Brown’s last year here he won the NCAA rushing crown by a few hundred yards. He wouldn’t have had the stats playing alongside Orlovsky, but I’m still not sure that pre-injury TC wasn’t just as good.
Caulley Maryland offensive player in Maryland the same year Shawn Marrion was defensive player of the year. The story went that Penn State tried to poach him at the end of the recruiting season but he stuck with Edsall/UConn out of loyalty. Pre injury he was like Darren Sproles type talent. That was devastating knee injury at VA Tech. He was unreal as True freshman

Reaction Score
I dont like that UConn fans threw items at BC fans and called them names at the game in 2003. I was there and don’t remember any of that (I was 11).

I do remember getting peanut shells and garbage dropped on us from the upper level at the game at BC in 2016. I also remember being told by the security at the game to “tolerate it or leave”.

I would really like if we could stop with pushing this story that BC refused to play UConn post 2003 because of UConn’s fans

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
EFDEE264-66F8-4343-B36E-400089D3510D.jpeg

Aaron Turner using a BC linebacker like a step stool on our second offensive drive gave me good vibes that today may be the day.

Reaction Score
Congrats to all you old timers that have stuck it out and saw this happen. It’s been 23 years of season tickets for me with some great times and some real ugly ones. Been bringing my kids since they were babies and they are grown adults, but remain loyal through thick and thin. So, nice to take down these bastards. Seems to make it all worthwhile on days like this.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I would really like if we could stop with pushing this story that BC refused to play UConn post 2003 because of UConn’s fans
You’re right. The reason BC refused to play UConn is because they were scared to! And today validated that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You’re right. The reason BC refused to play UConn is because they were scared to! And today validated that.
It was a tactical decision by BC to try to make UConn sports irrelevant. It ended up making Boston College Sports largely a relevant. They are still a force in college hockey, though. We beat them in that 5-1 last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom