2023 Recruiting: - Isiah Miranda Update for a couple posts, then a whole bunch of off topic replies that you'll probably read because there is nothing else to do | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Isiah Miranda Update for a couple posts, then a whole bunch of off topic replies that you'll probably read because there is nothing else to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

"Whatever school is showing me the best options to make it to the NBA, that’s where I’ll be making the decision."
Most likely the Squid and Kentucky get him from his posted quote. Hope I am wrong, really like his game and potential here.

Reaction Score
I know I’m in the extreme minority but comments like that turn me off.
I know for a lot of recruits all schools represent are minor league teams and the academics and school experience means little if anything but I just don’t like hearing it out loud.

Reaction Score
I know for a lot of recruits all schools represent are minor league teams and the academics and school experience means little if anything but I just don’t like hearing it out loud.
What if he had said, "Whatever school is showing me the best options to make it to the NBA become a top-earning engineer, that’s where I’ll be making the decision."? If that wouldn't bother you, why does his original quote?

Reaction Score
I hate this aura of Kentucky and the other one and done factories (but mainly UK).

Sometimes I wonder how different the timeline would be if John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins were, say, Archie Goodwin and Dakari Johnson instead. They (Wall/Cousins) were the trendsetters. Would UK still have this mystique about them as an NBA factory if those two, Cal’s first run in the now-traditional OAD mold, busted?

Reaction Score
What if he had said, "Whatever school is showing me the best options to make it to the NBA become a top-earning engineer, that’s where I’ll be making the decision."? If that wouldn't bother you, why does his original quote?
Well because going to school to become an engineer involves going to school to get education which is the whole point of school.
I get that for a lot of kids they are just using academic institutions as a vessel to enhance their sports careers and that schools also use them to enhance themselves. It just is always a little odd to me to hear it out loud so blatantly.
Anyway carry on. No big deal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Are you really going to have a massively different academic experience as an undergrad?

Probaboy not.

Reaction Score
Well because going to school to become an engineer involves going to school to get education which is the whole point of school.
I get that for a lot of kids they are just using academic institutions as a vessel to enhance their sports careers and that schools also use them to enhance themselves. It just is always a little odd to me to hear it out loud so blatantly.
I'm not judging or attacking you, and I agree it's not a big deal either way (after all, what does some message board squawking matter anyway?). I would argue that wannabe one-and-dones are going to school for an education that will get them to their career goal. What is the difference for you between Kevin Durant and Mark Zuckerberg (both left early for the pros)? Is it that KD nominally had a major or course of study that he presumably ignored to the extent possible?

This topic has got me thinking, it would be cool if schools offered a Basketball major. Classes could be anything that would help a professional athlete throughout his or her career. Budgeting and financial management. Self-marketing. Foreign language (because most students won't play for money in the US). Could be interesting.

Last edited:

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
This topic has got me thinking, it would be cool if schools offered a Basketball major. Classes could be anything that would help a professional athlete throughout their careers. Budgeting and financial management. Self-marketing. Foreign language (because most students won't play for money in the US). Could be interesting.
I believe that’s called a “Communications Major.”

(Just kidding, for all you communications experts :))

Reaction Score
You just unintentionally hit on the point here though. The purpose of college is to prepare you for entering the real world in the best possible situation. For an engineering major you're going to choose a school who's doing great research in an area you're interested. For a business major you're using it as a way to build relationships during college. An athlete is hoping to make it to the NBA so why shouldn't they pick a school that helps that the same way anyone else does?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You just unintentionally hit on the point here though. The purpose of college is to prepare you for entering the real world in the best possible situation. For an engineering major you're going to choose a school who's doing great research in an area you're interested. For a business major you're using it as a way to build relationships during college. An athlete is hoping to make it to the NBA so why shouldn't they pick a school that helps that the same way anyone else does?

It is certainly a factor. But an engineering major at any of the schools on his list has a 99%+ chance to get a job as an engineer. Business major is also very likely to get a job in business. This young man has a much lower chance of making the NBA. If I'm a parent or advisor, I want to hear about what the backup option is. If the student isn't thinking that way, then I just think it reflects a certain lack of maturity in some respect. The reality is that if you are good enough, the NBA finds you. All those schools are fine for getting him to the NBA if he has the talent.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm not judging or attacking you, and I agree it's not a big deal either way (after all, what does some message board squawking matter anyway?). I would argue that wannabe one-and-dones are going to school for an education that will get them to their career goal. What is the difference for you between Kevin Durant and Mark Zuckerberg (both left early for the pros)? Is it that KD nominally had a major or course of study that he presumably ignored to the extent possible?

This topic has got me thinking, it would be cool if schools offered a Basketball major. Classes could be anything that would help a professional athlete throughout his or her career. Budgeting and financial management. Self-marketing. Foreign language (because most students won't play for money in the US). Could be interesting.
Miranda didn’t exactly say one and done. He said get him into the league. That might take a full college career but that might not be what he has in mind

Decades ago, when Dick Butkus was college stud of the year at Illinois he made the most honest statement ever in an SI interview. In response to a question that basically was that the rumor was that he didn’t go to class and stayed in his room all day watching cartoons, he said along these lines, if they had me here to go to class I’d go to class, but they have me here to play football so I watch cartoons.

There may or may not be more monitoring of class attendance then in the Butkus era (I skipped my share but wasn’t playing varsity sports) but the real problem, if it can be called a problem, is the pro eligibility rules and I don’t know if the developmental hoop leagues could be a kind of minor league option similar to baseball which obviously has extensive minor league franchises. If a kid has zero interest in college but is basically stuck there because that’s the way it is, baseball at least gives an athlete an immediate pro option but also has a more benign relationship with college ball, not allowing early departure until, I think, after junior year. If the basketball players could be drafted out of hs and play at some pro level, minor league for the vast majority, right away, a lot of kids would do it. And opting for college with a minimum 3 year wait for the draft would make a college program slightly more predictable. But right now it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Miranda didn’t exactly say one and done. He said get him into the league. That might take a full college career but that might not be what he has in mind

Decades ago, when Dick Butkus was college stud of the year at Illinois he made the most honest statement ever in an SI interview. In response to a question that basically was that the rumor was that he didn’t go to class and stayed in his room all day watching cartoons, he said along these lines, if they had me here to go to class I’d go to class, but they have me here to play football so I watch cartoons.
His logic leaves something to be desired. To be fair, he was probably frequently concussed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The people who live in this world where we're the only team that doesn't pay players is adorable. You guys realize we're in the same top 4 as those money schools for the kid as well? Or do you think we're just that sexy without the enticement?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
His logic leaves something to be desired. To be fair, he was probably frequently concussed.
Say that to his face. I had scholarship athletes in a few of my classes in my long ago UConn days and some were never there. And were still on the team the next year.

Of course back then there was no such thing as going pro early and there were freshmen hoop teams that all freshman had to play on. The phrase of the day for a stud was Super Soph, not Diaper Dandy. although lots has changed like AAU and prep school hoop factories, some kids, even the best, would have much less pressure to produce if they couldn't play varsity right away. Red shirting isn’t quite the same as playing actual games in a freshman league. But Title IX (which I favor and have one, maybe two granddaughters who might.be good enough to get college soccer scholarships) ended all that. Is it better that kids like Diggins and Johnson sit on the bench or that Hawkins has immediate pressure to produce under the bright lights? It also gets kids thinking transfer very early, now easier than ever. But as I said, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom