Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks

sun

Reaction Score
According to the UConn Blog, the Big 12 payout won't be $30-$35 million per year due to its relatively large expansion.
Rather the payout will only be "upwards of $20 million per year."
Personally I think that the Big 12 expansion sacrifices quality in order to chase quantity.
Since UConn is considered to be such an asset to the Big 12, perhaps the ACC will also realize that & make a similar expansion offer.
UConn should wait for the dust to settle in the ACC since there will be such a hefty penalty to withdraw from the Big East anyway, and the Big 12 payout won't solve all of the financial problems before its next TV contract will be negotiated.
With a lowered payout & geographical considerations, UConn could be better off working with the ACC schools.
Then UConn could either make or break the ACC or the next incarnation of the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to the UConn Blog, the Big 12 payout won't be $30-$35 million per year due to its relatively large expansion.
Personally I think that the Big 12 expansion sacrifices quality in order to chase quantity.
Since UConn is considered to be such an asset to the Big 12, perhaps the ACC will also realize that & make a similar expansion offer.
UConn should wait for the dust to settle in the ACC since there will be such a hefty penalty to withdraw from the Big East anyway, and the Big 12 payout won't solve all of the financial problems before its next TV contract will be negotiated.
With a lowered payout & geographical considerations, UConn could be better off working with the ACC schools.
Then UConn could either make or break the ACC or the next incarnation of the ACC.

The UConn blog is not truthful on the amount of the last distribution. It’s not $20 million, it actually more than even the previously reported $30-35million that members get, it’s closer to $45 million. You have three teams leaving and 4-5 teams coming in. Just do the math, expanding the conference by 1 to 2 more teams reduces it to about $30-35 million. Do you really think the Athletic Dept and BOT are going listen to some blog writer with an agenda to keep UConn bottled up in a dying conference which gives a paltry $4 million a year?

Reaction Score
I don't really follow the issues around the various leagues much, so I'm kinda new to the topic. But let me ask a probably naive question: Back when UConn was desperately looking for a new league to call home, people were saying (as they are now): What about the ACC? And the answer always was that because of the bad blood between BC and UConn, the Huskies would be, in effect, blackballed from getting into the ACC.

But isn't BC still in the ACC? Are they singing a different tune now, or is the thought of a UConn membership possible because the ACC has its own level of desperation now?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m not for a moment suggesting that UConn should take the money and run, but how do you turn away from a potential 41 million dollar increase to your annual athletic budget, especially if you're operating at a huge deficit every year?

According to what I'm reading here, a move would allow UConn to fund all of its athletic programs and remain in the black, with a few million left over. Can UConn athletics continue to operate in the red to the tune of $35 million per year? I've heard and read that the answer to most problems or challenges in business is either money or personnel.

sun

Reaction Score
The UConn blog is not truthful on the amount of the last distribution. It’s not $20 million, it actually more than even the previously reported $30-35million that members get, it’s closer to $45 million. You have three teams leaving and 4-5 teams coming in. Just do the math, expanding the conference by 1 to 2 more teams reduces it to about $30-35 million. Do you really think the Athletic Dept and BOT are going listen to some blog writer with an agenda to keep UConn bottled up in a dying conference which gives a paltry $4 million a year?
You should read the SI article below before calling Dan Connolly a liar with an agenda.
It outlines the myriad complications involving the exit of Texas & Oklahoma from the Big 12.
There's a TV network dispute involving Fox that may end up in court, and a dispute over the penalties of the Big 12 dissolution agreement that may end up in court too.
Also, the new Big 12 schools won't be receiving the full conference payout the first year of membership because new members receive a reduction.
The finances are a very complex subject.
To top it off, the Big 12 claims that Texas & Oklahoma represents about 50% of the value of the conference.
And their TV rights agreement ends in 2031 so what will happen after that is anyone's guess.
When Texas & Oklahoma decided to exit, the Big 12 was considered to be ready to be put on life support.
The long term future TV value of the conference is still uncertain.

Looking up the phrase "upwards of" reveals that it basically means "in excess of."
So a payment in excess of $20 million may not be a dishonest use of the phrase by Dan Connolly at all.
But take note that he doesn't say that the payment will be in excess of $30 million because that may be a dishonest claim too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You should read the SI article below before calling Dan Connolly a liar with an agenda.
It outlines the myriad complications involving the exit of Texas & Oklahoma from the Big 12.
There's a TV network dispute involving Fox that may end up in court, and a dispute over the penalties of the Big 12 dissolution agreement that may end up in court too.
Also, the new Big 12 schools won't be receiving the full conference payout the first year of membership because new members receive a reduction.
The finances are a very complex subject.
To top it off, the Big 12 claims that Texas & Oklahoma represents about 50% of the value of the conference.
And their TV rights agreement ends in 2031 so what will happen after that is anyone's guess.
When Texas & Oklahoma decided to exit, the Big 12 was considered to be ready to be put on life support.
The long term future TV value of the conference is still uncertain.

Looking up the phrase "upwards of" reveals that it basically means "in excess of."
So a payment in excess of $20 million may not be a dishonest use of the phrase by Dan Connolly at all.
But take note that he doesn't say that the payment will be in excess of $30 million because that may be a dishonest claim too.

Only for the first year, as I understand it is the distribution about half of the normal amount, so about $20 million, and did he say that in the SI article?

Reaction Score
I’m not for a moment suggesting that UConn should take the money and run, but how do you turn away from a potential 41 million dollar increase to your annual athletic budget, especially if you're operating at a huge deficit every year?

According to what I'm reading here, a move would allow UConn to fund all of its athletic programs and remain in the black, with a few million left over. Can UConn athletics continue to operate in the red to the tune of $35 million per year? I've heard and read that the answer to most problems or challenges in business is either money or personnel.
Sure, my tax dollars at work. Same with everything the government does, but I digress...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like the idea, students would love it, as would the coaches and players, but the fans who’ve been tailgating for years will hate you.
You mean the fans that actually buy tickets and go to games?

Reaction Score
You mean the fans that actually buy tickets and go to games?
No, I mean any fan who buys tickets, goes to games, tailgates, posts on the Boneyard, and is over age 55.

Reaction Score
We should also remember that UConn is not just a women's basketball program. It's much more than that. It's iconic. People that couldn't tell you a single thing about WCBB would be able to mention UConn, if the topic surfaced. UConn increases revenues at other schools. UConn gets other universities on TV. UConn makes other programs better. Schools like an Ohio State or a Louisville, just to pick two at random, don't contribute what UConn contributes. Whatever a top ten program contributes to a school, UConn probably triples that.

Reaction Score
That may be true, but at the same time, having one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time coaching in their league for a few years before he retires, might sell some tickets.

Carnac

Reaction Score

This has been my dream for years. :rolleyes: Look before you leap. If there is a possibility that some schools might be leaving the ACC, perhaps a move right now would not be prudent.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What do you think, people wouldn't like to pay their tickets to see a P5 team rather than Georgetown, Xaxier, St John's or Marquette ?
I must disagree
UConn has proven they can win national championships regardless of conference affiliation. UConn and Florida Gulf Coast (ASUN) are the only two WBB programs to finish in the coach's final top 25 rankings for 2022-2023 that ARE NOT in a Power 5 Conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A very wise person ( actually several ) said to me if the ONLY reason you take a job is the money, it's a big mistake. Would tend to agree with this situation also.
What makes you think it would be only for the money?

Hypothetical question: if a half dozen years ago we were given the option of rejoining the BE or joining the B-12 what do you think we would have done?

At times I am stunned by the myopic view that many of our basketball fans have.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson ain't going anywhere, at least not to the Big 10 or SEC. The SEC doesn't want either, and the Big 10 would rather have Chapel Hill, UVA, and Duke before FSU or Clemson. Florida State needs to pipe down, those haven't done anything in Football in a decade.
I have no idea what the SEC wants or doesn't want, but it's not obvious to me what Clemson or FSU actually brings to the table revenue wise for the SEC.

Texas and Oklahoma were just orders of magnitude more obvious takes and I tend to agree that NC and Va make more sense for expansion overall, but it isn't obvious why the SEC would expand again at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma were just orders of magnitude more obvious takes and I tend to agree that NC and Va make more sense for expansion overall, but it isn't obvious why the SEC would expand again at all.
More quality content likely gives them more negotiation leverage.

Reaction Score
A large percentage of UConn's alumni live in the part of CT that is part of the NYC media market. In the northeast where media markets are tiny and you can drive across a bunch of them in a couple of hours, the boundaries are less important because you can throw a stone from Storrs and hit the NYC, Boston, Springfield, Providence media markets.
BINGO

Reaction Score
Oh boy!! here we go again. There's a report that the Big 12 is recruiting UConn and of course, the carrot is money 30 million in revenue vs the 5 million we currently bring in...What do my fellow bone-yarders think. Personally, I'd prefer we stay in the Big East but can we sustain losing money? If we do move I'd prefer the ACC or SEC what are your thoughts ????
The SEC will always be just a dream.

Reaction Score
Would have to add lanes just to prevent logjams
Doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth it. Distancing the team from the students is a bad idea. Makes it difficult for students to show up, which makes it difficult to generate a "buzz" around games. There just won't be a closeness between the team and the student body when games are always off campus/out of town. Who pays attention to teams that have no buzz?

Reaction Score
I just don't think that the Big 12 is the right fit and UConn should hold out for a better offer. What does UConn have in common with any of those schools? The travel would be brutal just like the AAC all over again with modest gain in overall RPI. The ACC is a better scenario or just remain in the BE.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We are headed to a BIG 2. The SEC and BIG will be the heavyweights of the future, and moving now would be a massive mistake. The BIG12 will end up going along the same lines as the AAC, plus the travel will be the same with those Texas schools. The ACC is in trouble with multiple schools wanting to leave. I think UConn should move only if the BIG comes calling. Wouldn't fit in the SEC, as they would probably mock us to death with our football program no matter how good they get. As far as WBB, playing Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa, UCLA, USC, and Michigan would be challenging and fun. Right now stay where we are safe and comfortable until the right offer comes along. The BIG.

Reaction Score
We are headed to a BIG 2. The SEC and BIG will be the heavyweights of the future, and moving now would be a massive mistake. The BIG12 will end up going along the same lines as the AAC, plus the travel will be the same with those Texas schools. The ACC is in trouble with multiple schools wanting to leave. I think UConn should move only if the BIG comes calling. Wouldn't fit in the SEC, as they would probably mock us to death with our football program no matter how good they get. As far as WBB, playing Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa, UCLA, USC, and Michigan would be challenging and fun. Right now stay where we are safe and comfortable until the right offer comes along. The BIG.
Couldn’t the Big 10 go after UConn once they’ve joined the Big 12. The worst case scenario is happening right now, which is being in the Big East. Get out of the Big East now before the ship sinks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom