Is UConn about to be #2 in Attendance? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UConn about to be #2 in Attendance?

Reaction Score
Great for you guys that attendance is going up. I think as another poster mentioned, I think the Mississippi State loss has had a big impact on the fan base’s mentality after going 160-1 or something like that from 2013-2017. Games are a little more desirable to attend if there’s a chance it’ll be competitive rather than knowing it’ll be a 30+ point blowout every night.

In a self defeating way I secretly hope Tennessee’s attendance continues to drop so there’ll be more ammo to fire Holly. Tennessee has consistently been above 10k for my entire lifetime and if they continue to drop maybe it will encourage some action by the AD. The fan base is still there, but if they start winning more there’ll definitely be more butts in seats.
I dont see Fulmer firing Holly. 3-time AA and first athlete to have number retired. Also an asst. for Pat all them years. IMO they ask her to retire and stress it was her decision to retire.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I dont see Fulmer firing Holly. 3-time AA and first athlete to have number retired. Also an asst. for Pat all them years. IMO they ask her to retire and stress it was her decision to retire.

I agree; she's pretty close to retirement age, anyway.

Reaction Score
Attendance and other stats:

NCAA Statistics

Miscellaneous>Attendance for the stats:

https://stats.ncaa.org/reports/attendance?id=16660

Regarding attendance, average attendance per game is what I consider the important stat as far as fan involvement. You can click on the headers and sort as desired.

I'll be interested to see if South Carolina will suffer a dip in attendance with the graduation of Ms. Wilson...................fielding a highly competitive team year after year is not an easy task ...............any thoughts?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see if South Carolina will suffer a dip in attendance with the graduation of Ms. Wilson....fielding a highly competitive team year after year is not an easy task .....any thoughts?
Wilson is certainly a rock star in Columbia, but I think there are other factors at work as well. Just like CT, there’s no pro sports competition in SC. If the Gamecocks advance to the FF lets say (unlikely if they end up in the Albany region), there could well be some carryover for season ticket holders.

I think SC will be fine next year. The challenge will be long term. If SC slips back to the middle of the pack in the SEC for an extended period of time, it will be a challenge to maintain their attendance numbers.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Numbers are for home games, Avg:

South Carolina: 13,823
UConn: 10,558
Tenn: 9,095
ND: 8,095
Louisville: 7,652
Iowa St: 9,856 (EDIT: thanks to DefenseBB for this number)
Baylor: 5,971 (really surprise here, Baylor does not draw fans)

I have noticed how well we are doing this year too. It's awesome. As far as Baylor goes they gotta play someone worth a darn at home every once in a while. That might get more bitts in the seats. Remember when they got the Dallas regional a few years back and it was the worst attended regional. It is sorta strange they don't pull better. They have been good for a long enough time.

Iowa St. always draws a crowd. Can we get them on the schedule?

Reaction Score
Thats probably not permanent.... Philips Arena is being renovated in the NBA off-season... I assume they will move back to Philips once its completely done.
Thanks didn’t know that.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have noticed how well we are doing this year too. It's awesome. As far as Baylor goes they gotta play someone worth a darn at home every once in a while. That might get more bitts in the seats. Remember when they got the Dallas regional a few years back and it was the worst attended regional. It is sorta strange they don't pull better. They have been good for a long enough time.

Iowa St. always draws a crowd. Can we get them on the schedule?
I was thinking the same thing about Baylor. However in 2012-13, they did average 9,160 so to drop to 5,971 is concerning. I wonder if our 2 Baylor fans have any insight.
Texas is improving after Gail G hurt them but it's been a slow process as in 2013 they had 3,385 and now they are at 4,805 and Austin is a great college town. Spring football is in late April and baseball is now just starting up.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see if South Carolina will suffer a dip in attendance with the graduation of Ms. Wilson....fielding a highly competitive team year after year is not an easy task .....any thoughts?

I think attendance will be down a little bit next season, but probably not enough to fall out of first place in attendance. I think next year's team will be exciting to watch and play a much faster pace with frequent 3 guard lineups, especially if Bianca Cuevas-Moore decides to play her senior year. I don't think the drop off will be as great as it was from last season to this season. We won't have as much height, but LeLe Grissett and Kiki Herbert Harrigan are both very athletic inside.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing about Baylor. However in 2012-13, they did average 9,160 so to drop to 5,971 is concerning. I wonder if our 2 Baylor fans have any insight.
Texas is improving after Gail G hurt them but it's been a slow process as in 2013 they had 3,385 and now they are at 4,805 and Austin is a great college town. Spring football is in late April and baseball is now just starting up.

Their relatively poor attendance is probably due to several factors - smallish private school located in a small MSA and unlikely to draw some of the groups that traditionally are avid supporters of WBB.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Their relatively poor attendance is probably due to several factors - smallish private school located in a small MSA and unlikely to draw some of the groups that traditionally are avid supporters of WBB.
When Griner was a Senior the year after their NC, BU had 9,160 and then has been dropping ever since...’14 -6,881; ‘15-6,341; ‘16-6,283; ‘17-5,934
So, maybe if she makes a Final Four this year, she can reverse the trend. I mean what the heck is there to do in Waco in the winter?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
A big limiting factor for UConn is that some games are played at Gampel and you can't get 8,888 fans in there. If all games were at Gampel the figure might be 6,000. If all were at the XL, likely much higher. I think I heard the announcer say this weekend that the attendance at the Temple game was over 13,000. But it did seem like most of us were over 60 and the student sections were pretty empty. In part it all relates to UConn's location up north of Hartford. It might have made more sense at the very beginning to locate the campus somewhere in the middle of a big circle from New Haven to Hartford to Danbury to Stamford and back to New Haven. But they probably weren't worrying about the fan base back then.

UConn was founded in 1881 - back in those days, some of the state's now bigger cities weren't very large. Stamford, for example, had an official census population of 2,540 in 1880. Danbury was less than 12,000. New Haven, though, had a significant population totaling nearly 63,000.

Reaction Score
UConn was founded in 1881 - back in those days, some of the state's now bigger cities weren't very large. Stamford, for example, had an official census population of 2,540 in 1880. Danbury was less than 12,000. New Haven, though, had a significant population totaling nearly 63,000.

is it too late to move the school? I hear there are a few hundred acres for sale in Bridgeport............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Who does Baylor lose to graduation?

Reaction Score
The attendance "issues" at Baylor are pretty complicated. They are a common topic on the Baylor boards, usually more with regards to men's basketball. No one is entirely sure of the all the reasons but I'll lay some of it out here.

First of all, remember that in Texas, football is far and away the king. Right now on the Baylor boards there are threads about recruiting camps, new Baylor offers, and the new player lounge for the football team. The student body comes out for football in ways they never will for either basketball team. Lots of ideas have been floated, and the marketing people have tried to get more students to come, but they just don't turn out except for the really big games.

Second, most Baylor fans live in Dallas or Houston, which are too far away for the casual fans to make the trip, especially now that all home games are televised on at least the regional network. Just a few years ago, this wasn't true, so more people would make the trip to see them live. It's just not worth the time and expense for many to make the trip to Waco when they can watch in HD in their living room.

When Kim first came on board 18 years ago, Baylor athletics were in shambles. She came on board and endeared herself to the locals, and started wining quickly. She got herself a fanbase at a time when there wasn't much else to cheer for in Waco. Now, Baylor is successful in a number of sports and the support has been split somewhat. The decline in WBB attendance started at the same time that the football team started a run of success, with a new stadium and associated costs. Fan priorities began to change. Like many schools, the primary WBB fanbase is older people, and their attendance is likely declining as they age. I don't think that younger Baylor fans are stepping up to fill the gap.

Reaction Score
The attendance "issues" at Baylor are pretty complicated. They are a common topic on the Baylor boards, usually more with regards to men's basketball. No one is entirely sure of the all the reasons but I'll lay some of it out here.

First of all, remember that in Texas, football is far and away the king. Right now on the Baylor boards there are threads about recruiting camps, new Baylor offers, and the new player lounge for the football team. The student body comes out for football in ways they never will for either basketball team. Lots of ideas have been floated, and the marketing people have tried to get more students to come, but they just don't turn out except for the really big games.

Second, most Baylor fans live in Dallas or Houston, which are too far away for the casual fans to make the trip, especially now that all home games are televised on at least the regional network. Just a few years ago, this wasn't true, so more people would make the trip to see them live. It's just not worth the time and expense for many to make the trip to Waco when they can watch in HD in their living room.

When Kim first came on board 18 years ago, Baylor athletics were in shambles. She came on board and endeared herself to the locals, and started wining quickly. She got herself a fanbase at a time when there wasn't much else to cheer for in Waco. Now, Baylor is successful in a number of sports and the support has been split somewhat. The decline in WBB attendance started at the same time that the football team started a run of success, with a new stadium and associated costs. Fan priorities began to change. Like many schools, the primary WBB fanbase is older people, and their attendance is likely declining as they age. I don't think that younger Baylor fans are stepping up to fill the gap.
So it’s RG3’s fault :D

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

I don’t buy the CFB angle. They are two different seasons. See my attendance comments above in 2013. I also contest the aging base assertion as it’s not like middle age people don’t stay middle age, they also age and look for things to do when they retire. I think if Kim does well this year, a tick up in attendance will occur but also renewed efforts for turnout needs to occur.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom