Is this even the same Anna? | The Boneyard

Is this even the same Anna?

Reaction Score
I came across this again last night and watched a little of it. I know the competition is a little different but I wish this Anna would start to show up in Storrs soon.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If you just compiled her highlights (steals, passes, and rebound, too, not just FGs) so far this year, she’d look pretty darn good for a freshman.

Many of the mistakes she’s made aren’t mistakes according to FIBA rules, so there are going to be some of those growing pains. She’s getting there.

Go through the official social media pages and watch the top 5 plays from every game and pay attention to how many Anna has a hand in. She’s holding her own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you just compiled her highlights (steals, passes, and rebound, too, not just FGs) so far this year, she’d look pretty darn good for a freshman.

Many of the mistakes she’s made aren’t mistakes according to FIBA rules, so there are going to be some of those growing pains. She’s getting there.

Go through the official social media pages and watch the top 5 plays from every game and pay attention to how many Anna has a hand in. She’s holding her own.

That could be it. She just seems more assertive in that video.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In yesterday's pregame interview she said that the Euro game was slower and less physical. Those are rather fundamental things to adjust to. Luckily Anna can take the rough stuff quite well.

Reaction Score

Yes, I commented under another theme that Anna is a frequent major participant in Top Five play videos. Highlight videos are just that, they don’t often make low light videos.

Reaction Score
Yes, I commented under another theme that Anna is a frequent major participant in Top Five play videos. Highlight videos are just that, they don’t often make low light videos.
I don't think Anna has had too many lowlight moments, sometimes a little too slow but never goofy/wrongheaded. To me she seems like a slow and steady player - Maria Conlon with more moves to the hoop and incredibly good court sense / passing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I look at that video and I see exactly the same player playing at exactly the same pace. The difference is the players around her. Keep in mind she also has to learn a new system and the capabilities and expectations of the players around, all while adjusting to a new country.

I think she will be fine, but for those who expected her to come in and dominate, your disappointment is due to your unrealistic expectation, not Anna’s performance.

Reaction Score
I just watched highlights from an earlier video of a 16 year old Anna. Highlights can give a false sense when taken as a whole but when you see someone making multiple great passes, as well as the form in sinking threes, you see why she was heavily recruited by U.S. college teams. You can also see why she was inspired by watching DT to come to UConn and why an Ionesco-led Oregon also pursued her. Those lightning, accurate full court passes reminded me of Lou. All this just suggests to me that she is a freshman trying to find her role at UConn. Geno knows it is there, hence his comment that she needs to play like a one and done male player. Many of her plays came as a point guard, others as a shooting guard, which makes me think she is deferring to her older teammates Of course, when you see highlight films of young stars like her you have to take into consideration that she is playing against other young players who aren’t in her class. Still, if there is a missing ingredient to Anna’s game, it is a lack of greed, not speed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think she is doing fine and improving on a team that is relying more on freshmen performing than most past UConn teams, given that the two seniors are pretty limited and that Westbrook wasn't available. Her shot is coming along well and she isn't afraid to shoot anymore. Once she adjusts fully to the speed of the game I believe the turnovers will reduce.

Reaction Score
During preseason Anna was really hyped as to her performance In practice. There was lots of talk initially of her being the fifth starter. That’s a lot of pressure to put on an 18 year old. Makes me wonder if we aren’t doing the same thing with next years class. There already seems to be that same pressure being applied to Paige. We’ve already anointed her the second coming of Sue Bird. Most of Ann’s offensive turnovers are for traveling. If the coaching staff could just get her to stop shuffling her feet, it could make a big difference in terms of her play.

Reaction Score
I just watched highlights from an earlier video of a 16 year old Anna. Highlights can give a false sense when taken as a whole but when you see someone making multiple great passes, as well as the form in sinking threes, you see why she was heavily recruited by U.S. college teams. You can also see why she was inspired by watching DT to come to UConn and why an Ionesco-led Oregon also pursued her. Those lightning, accurate full court passes reminded me of Lou. All this just suggests to me that she is a freshman trying to find her role at UConn. Geno knows it is there, hence his comment that she needs to play like a one and done male player. Many of her plays came as a point guard, others as a shooting guard, which makes me think she is deferring to her older teammates Of course, when you see highlight films of young stars like her you have to take into consideration that she is playing against other young players who aren’t in her class. Still, if there is a missing ingredient to Anna’s game, it is a lack of greed, not speed.
Heavily recruited? Could you link to this information? Nika Muhl was recruited by Oregon, L'ville, Ohio St, and So.Fla. I find nothing about Makurat being heavily recruited.

Reaction Score
You could ask the same question about many players when comparing their experiences prior to UConn. Example, how did Megan Walker compare two years ago as frosh to her Player of the Year performance in high school.

Exactly! She is 16 games into her career!

Reaction Score
Looking good this 4th quarter. Confident, driving and finishing - something she hasn't done since the first game of the season. Showing some serious swagger! Go Ania!

Reaction Score
Not overreacting to Anna's game today, but what a great signing by Geno! Who would ever expect Geno to reach into Poland, but Anna is the only solid sub we have this year. Fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom