Is Sterling Gibbs the Next GREAT UConn PG? | The Boneyard

Is Sterling Gibbs the Next GREAT UConn PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Summer- I love it.
Not sure we ever had a one year "UCONN great" and Gibbs is not going to be the first one IMHO.
I am looking forward to seeing him play and without him I would be much less optimistic about our season next year. If he wins a NC - I will eat crow with pleasure- but that's what it takes to be a great at UCONN.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He's not going to attract the cult of Kemba-Bazz-Boat because he'll be more of a traditional PG than those three were. Not a knock on his offensive skills at all - for example, he'd be very adept at playing "hero ball" if he were surrounded by the cast of characters Boat had last year. But the team he's surrounded with is arguably stronger than any we've had all decade. He'll have more seasoned offensive options and will therefore probably have to shoulder less of the load. We think of '10-11 as "Kemba's team", '13-14 as "Bazz's team", and '14-15 as "Boat's team", but I don't think that this coming season will be "Sterling's team" simply because he shouldn't have to carry them the way those three did at times.

Reaction Score
Fair points about him only being here 1 year and categorizing him with the word great. As I just did. I still think he can be the next great regardless.

Reaction Score
He's not going to attract the cult of Kemba-Bazz-Boat because he'll be more of a traditional PG than those three were. Not a knock on his offensive skills at all - for example, he'd be very adept at playing "hero ball" if he were surrounded by the cast of characters Boat had last year. But the team he's surrounded with is arguably stronger than any we've had all decade. He'll have more seasoned offensive options and will therefore probably have to shoulder less of the load. We think of '10-11 as "Kemba's team", '13-14 as "Bazz's team", and '14-15 as "Boat's team", but I don't think that this coming season will be "Sterling's team" simply because he shouldn't have to carry them the way those three did at times.
Good points..

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
@Stairmaster hit it on the head. He won't be "the man" like he was at Seton Hall. He's an extremely important cog on a team that has a LOT of potential but it won't be "Sterling's team", like Stairmaster said. Then again, if D-Ham still turns the ball over and doesn't improve his shooting %, if Rodney still steps on the line when receiving a pass, if Jalen isn't as advertised right away, if Shonn Miller can't adjust to higher quality basketball, etc. then Sterling may need to take on the alpha role. But I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is going to be the man this year. I think he leads us in scoring this year with 15+PPG and takes on a mentor role with Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score

Agreed, and Sterling could have a UCONN great year but he has an impossible task in terms of challenging Bazz, Boat and Kemba. There is too much history to make up in one year. Of course, I will remember Bazz crushing Nova, Boat sinking MSU and Kemba destroying McGhee, but equally awesome is remembering a young Bazz pick pocketing Doron Lamb, Boat hitting 3 clutch 3's vs. FSU and Kemba banking in the runner vs. Mizzou. Watching the development of players over time is what really makes me feel fortunate to be a UCONN fan.

Reaction Score
I will always remember Lasan Kromah for what he brought to the team in regards of need. He was a key piece that year and provided us with much experience off the bench in both the regular season games as well as the champs. If Gibbs and Miller do the same and they go deep they will be remembered as Huskies but I doubt in the way Rip, Emeka, Ben, Bazz and Kemba were. But there is always a first depending on how it goes down right?

Reaction Score
I think Gibbs is going to be great, but as others have said, not as great as our "greats". So many options on this team, Gibbs shouldn't have to be the man, which to me means he has all the tools to succeed. If DHam/Rodney/Miller/Brimah all bring it from game 1, Gibbs shouldn't have too much trouble putting up gaudy assist numbers, which would make him look great to me. The fact that so many guys should be contributing also means a lot of pressure will be off of him, guys aren't going to be double teaming if everyone on the court has the ability to put the ball in the hole.

I'm just very very excited for this coming season, looking forward to watching every game and soaking up every drop of action. I can't remember the last time we had a starting lineup that was this competent on the basketball court, let alone itching to see Jalen take the court

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Summer- I love it.
Not sure we ever had a one year "UCONN great" .

HenefeldNadav_dribble.jpg

Reaction Score
I think he is what he is. I think he will be a great player, and treated as such. But in the minds and hearts of fans, seeing players develop over multiple years from an 18 year old kid to an NBA ready prospect gives them a little nostalgia/attachment to the player.

He will get every opportunity to be remembered well, but it's a tall task to compare him to how people are going to feel about guys like Kemba and Bazz. He will gain the most respect and "great status" out of us by showing he is out to PLAY every night and that he wants to win for UConn and his teammates, and not just for himself.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think Gibbs will be great and he was just what the Dr. ordered for UConn. Don't mean this harshly but if he was "all time great category, he would not have come to UConn & gone straight to the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom