Is it possible that UConn is #1 | The Boneyard

Is it possible that UConn is #1

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The various experts who cast weekly ballots may not agree
or haven't come to the inevitable conclusion yet...

But on the basis of this afternoon's (late eve in the Med...near Barcelona) matchups,
UConn seems most the impressive team by far.

And can only get better with the addition of a healthy Caroline and Dorka
and of course CD.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t much impressed with either Stanford or S Carolina earlier in this game, but it’s turning out to be more impressive than I saw coming. I don’t think either of these teams would beat even a depleted UConn that we saw today, but I also don’t think UConn will jump either in the polls. These two are too evenly matched to jump both. If Stanford had demolished SCar like it looked like would happen in the 3rd, I could imagine UConn jumping SCar with their blow out over NCST, but as even as these two are, I think UConn will be firmly rooted at 3. (Irony given TN was ranked there to start season and then TX, both of whom have fallen so far)

I’m happy and proud to be a UConn fan today.

Reaction Score
Not a chance. The number one and two teams in the country just played into overtime. It is highly unlikely that UConn jumps over either of them, never mind both of them. However, this early in the season, that is fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cant jump a number one that beat number 2 on the road.

Could possibly beat a number two who lost at home, but probably not where it was an OT loss to number one.

UConn No 1 this week? No
UConn No. 2 this week? Possibly! But improbable.

But.
, y’all looked great today. You’ll get your shot.

Reaction Score
The various experts who cast weekly ballots may not agree
or haven't come to the inevitable conclusion yet...

But on the basis of this afternoon's (late eve in the Med...near Barcelona) matchups,
UConn seems most the impressive team by far.

And can only get better with the addition of a healthy Caroline and Dorka
and of course CD.
SC is No 1 (and well deserves it!) til someone can beat them! They are not pretty to watch, but they are unbelievably tough to beat. They do not stop and you’d better play hard til the last second (as Stanford learned today). This is the team we are going to have to beat and based on their performance today, it won’t be easy. We’re gonna need to get stronger mentally and be prepared for a real battle! I believe we can, but I sure hope we can get back to 100% health soon!

Reaction Score

Could possibly beat a number two who lost at home, but probably not where it was an OT loss to number one.

UConn No 1 this week? No

But.
, y’all looked great today. You’ll get your shot.
They aren’t talking about ranking but about which team is actually best. After today idk if Uconn is but Stanford and South Carolina both looked underwhelming.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think Stanford will have to drop a couple of games or UConn will have to take down SC before they crack the top two.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
SC is No 1 (and well deserves it!) til someone can beat them! They are not pretty to watch, but they are unbelievably tough to beat. They do not stop and you’d better play hard til the last second (as Stanford learned today). This is the team we are going to have to beat and based on their performance today, it won’t be easy. We’re gonna need to get stronger mentally and be prepared for a real battle! I believe we can, but I sure hope we can get back to 100% health soon!
SC won because of Beal and Boston. Boston impressed me as an excellent passer out of the double teams. Beal with remarkable clutch 3pts

Reaction Score
They aren’t talking about ranking but about which team is actually best. After today idk if Uconn is but Stanford and South Carolina both looked underwhelming.
They didn’t look that great I think because they both made it hard on each other. The problem with us is our bigs needs to match these two teams bigs when we play them. We do that we can win. It’s not that our bigs can’t play with them, it’s their depth at that position that gives them the edge. We get into foul trouble down low, the game is likely over. But I’ll tell you what, if things keep progressing with us, we might just be good enough to win it all THIS YEAR, which I didn’t think was possible. And if there’s any questions, Azzi is definitely the best player I. The country, I think easily actually and I’ll argue that point with no problem.

Reaction Score

UConn No 1 this week? No
Home about 45 minutes ago from UConn's dismantling of the Wolfpack, and just saw the finish of the SC/Stanford game. The temptation on the BY is to think the Huskies should be number one right now. However, I agree, visitingcock, number three for the Huskies is an apt spot at this point.

Congrats on your hard-earned win at Stanford!

I am not prone to hyperbole, but I would think Coach Staley and her Gamecocks might now begin to look over their shoulders in the direction of Connecticut. This is not the UConn team of the past couple of years, even without Paige. It is much more explosive, quicker, has better chemistry and is hungrier than the CW/ONO team of recent vintage.

I hope SC stays healthy and, for the Huskies, Dorka's thumb heals quickly and Caroline is able to find her game. If all that comes to pass, Feb. 5 will be a classic (and very possibly a preview of the NCAA final... with the Cardinal as a dynamic potential stumbling block for either or both).

Reaction Score
Did not see the SC game, but could it be that UConn looked the best because they were playing an opponent that could not match up with them? SC and Stanford are very big, tough, talented teams that just went to war on one another. It should come as no surprise that neither looked great. I like this UConn team a lot, but the concept that they are better than SC or Stanford right now on the basis of what we've seen so far is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
No. South Carolina won in overtime. They will be #1 when we play them most likely.

Kat

Reaction Score
SC will stay number 1, as has been mentioned. I watched their game against Stanford and it was ugly. There was a stretch where neither team scored for five minutes. A lot of players refusing to take an outside shot, everyone trying to go to the hole, often missing. A lot of missed shots and bad passes. Hard hitting game, though. So many players were flopping onto the floor that it looked like a soccer game. It's early, things will change, but I like the Huskies' chances.

Reaction Score
No shot but UCONN looked the best out of the 3 IMO (although NC State doesn't look to be near at the level of SC/Stanford).
UConn is the best outside shooting team of the three but even with Dorka in the lineup, both South Carolina and Stanford are just too big inside........that's what makes the loss of Ice Brady so devastating.......UConn's only chance of beating South Carolina this year will be if Azzi and Lou both shoot lights..........

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What is meant by #1 in this question?

#1 in the AP and coaches' poll rankings? No, definitely not. SC is #1, by a large distance. Stanford probably still #2.

#1 as in the favorite to win it all? No, definitely not. It doesn't mean we don't have a chance to win a single-elimination tournament, but we're still the underdog.

So either way, it's a definite no.

#1 in our hearts? Sure. But exuberance is one thing, irrational exuberance another.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
For those unimpressed with either SC or Stanford keep in mind that it is only November and they were playing each other. That could be why it was low scoring. Defense ahead of offense. What I was surprised at was Stanford's fundamental errors at crunch time. Never saw that from a Tara team before. I would still have both teams ahead of everybody else right now by a big margin.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn will most likely end up being #3 in both polls, but could switch with Stanford in the Coaches Poll.

Reaction Score
UConn should be #3. I think SC and Stanford stay right where they are, especially after an OT game. You know what’s more difficult to predict? Where does Texas land….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom