Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It’s crazy that he took Xavier to a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8.

should've been a FF.

The way they treated anthony myles in that duke game was an embarrassment to basketball.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are trying so hard to find an alternative to Hurley, OU was easily the much more talented team yesterday and Hurley's team won. Not sure what else you can expect out of a potential candidate than to overachieve with only decent/good talent.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are trying so hard to find an alternative to Hurley, OU was easily the much more talented team yesterday and Hurley's team won. Not sure what else you can expect out of a potential candidate than to overachieve with only decent/good talent.
There have to be contrarians. It seems like such a no-brainer for all involved that people are going to start questioning if it's the too-easy choice.

It might be. Time will tell. But to most objective people, this would be a slam dunk. Some people will put in their nay-saying, and if Hurley is as good as we all hope, forget about it. If he fails here, people will point back to their doubts like it meant something. I'm guilty of that as much as anyone.

Reaction Score
There have to be contrarians. It seems like such a no-brainer for all involved that people are going to start questioning if it's the too-easy choice.

It might be. Time will tell. But to most objective people, this would be a slam dunk. Some people will put in their nay-saying, and if Hurley is as good as we all hope, forget about it. If he fails here, people will point back to their doubts like it meant something. I'm guilty of that as much as anyone.

You aren't wrong, just seems like there's better ways to use one's time than to nitpick a candidate that seems to check all the boxes in what you'd be looking for in an up and coming coach.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

You aren't wrong, just seems like there's better ways to use one's time than to nitpick a candidate that seems to check all the boxes in what you'd be looking for in an up and coming coach.

For me, I just never liked having just ONE option.

Way too much risk there.

I'm cool if someone wants Hurley, but to not want to go into all the details and discuss other potential candidates if he doesn't come here seems crazy to me.

Reaction Score

This is a very important hire and he's not a perfect candidate. He's a good candidate, but..

Pqzc3uO.png

His team's offensive ranks are not exactly jumping off the page. Defense is fine. For perspective, Ollie's best offensive team was Napier and we finished ranked 39th, and Ollie has had essentially 3 seasons either right at or better than Hurley's best offensive season. The unknowable argument is how Hurley would do with Napier-level talent, and hopefully we get to see.

For the record, Nate Oats had Buffalo at 36 this year and Crean had 5 top 30 offenses in his last 6 years at Indiana (and 4 top 30s at Marquette). If there's one thing Crean can do, it's coach offense (Defense... from eh fine to not so good).

In summary, it's worth debating and thinking about other options. If people said "Don't even consider Danny Hurley", that would be one thing. But it's also not appropriate to act like he's a perfect flawless candidate.

Reaction Score
From Corey Evans re: the Pitt job: A new head coach hiring could be made within days as Eric Musselman, Danny Hurley and Mike Schmidt remain the more talked about names pertaining to the open position.

Reaction Score
I know he would be hard to get out of the Big 10 and out of his alma mater, but damn, Matt Painter is one of the best young coaches out there. If we’re getting someone out of a contract, he should be on everyone’s list, especially ours. He’s amazing. And we should be thinking big. Not some hopefully this guy can make the leap to a blue chip program like UConn guy like Hurley...

I know, I know... no less ridiculous than the people holding out for Donovan. This would be better.

Reaction Score
This is a very important hire and he's not a perfect candidate. He's a good candidate, but..

Pqzc3uO.png

His team's offensive ranks are not exactly jumping off the page. Defense is fine. For perspective, Ollie's best offensive team was Napier and we finished ranked 39th, and Ollie has had essentially 3 seasons either right at or better than Hurley's best offensive season. The unknowable argument is how Hurley would do with Napier-level talent, and hopefully we get to see.

For the record, Nate Oats had Buffalo at 36 this year and Crean had 5 top 30 offenses in his last 6 years at Indiana (and 4 top 30s at Marquette). If there's one thing Crean can do, it's coach offense (Defense... from eh fine to not so good).

In summary, it's worth debating and thinking about other options. If people said "Don't even consider Danny Hurley", that would be one thing. But it's also not appropriate to act like he's a perfect flawless candidate.

Both the offense and defense seems to be trending in the right direction for Hurley. In defense of his offensive #'s, there's a limit to what you can get out of a bunch of 3-star guys mixed with a couple 4-star guys...most likely you won't be top 10 in offensive efficiency without some better recruits. Just my opinion...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oats seems like a better fits at UPenn.

Reaction Score
Last years Rhode Island team was as talented as the 2014 UConn team IMO.

Again, I've followed the URI program very closely for the last few years. We're not talking about Brad Stevens here. At this point, I think he's the guy, I'm just not particularly excited about it.

Reaction Score

Pqzc3uO.png

There's a clear upward trend in the offense during the URI tenure at least. Like you said though, there's probably an upper limit to what Hurley can do at URI with the talent he can get there and he's probably already pretty close to that limit. Can't know for sure if/until it happens, but I'm pretty confident that an offense under Hurley at UConn would have the ceiling to rate better than anything he's done so far, same would go for defense.

Main takeaway I've had from the URI games I've seen this year is that the team doesn't seem all that talented, so I'm not sure where else to give credit but to Hurley for getting as far as he has with his team.

Also I do like what I've seen from Oats, just don't think there's enough of a resume and want to see how his team comes back tomorrow. Oats was doing so much chest puffing over the Zona win, I want to see if he just blew his wad or if they can turn around and give Kentucky a game.

Reaction Score
Both the offense and defense seems to be trending in the right direction for Hurley. In defense of his offensive #'s, there's a limit to what you can get out of a bunch of 3-star guys mixed with a couple 4-star guys...most likely you won't be top 10 in offensive efficiency without some better recruits. Just my opinion...

Sorry should have read down. I basically said the same thing.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score

Again, I've followed the URI program very closely for the last few years. We're not talking about Brad Stevens here. At this point, I think he's the guy, I'm just not particularly excited about it.
Wasn’t watching Rhody all that closely last year, but you’re saying they had players at the level of Napier? Boat? Daniels?

Reaction Score

No.

Shabazz, Boat, Daniels were all highly rated recruits--and higher level players than URI had/has. Facey was more highly rated than the bulk (if not all) of their players.

Reaction Score

It is ridiculous to think that URI was as talented as UConn was in 2014. How can you possibly think that?

Boat, Bazz, and Deandre would ALL be the best player on that URI team. We had the best guard in the country playing for us. We had players that were taller than 6'9, unlike URI. We also had 3 point shooters, something URI has not been able to produce.

There is no reasonable comparison to make.

Reaction Score
was very impressed by Buffalo...the intensity level is 2x higher than our players, the team can shoot and score with confidence...they hit the boards well...and they show no fear. Can they sustain that? I don't know, but Oats appears to be getting a lot of the players he has and he runs deep off the bench. He expects performance and obviously has them believing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hurley is a known program-builder. Multiple programs.

He has recruiting connections all over the Northeast and the country, and at least one highly qualified assistant in Tom Moore.

Oats could be the next Brad Stevens. Or he could flare out next year.

Hurley has an experienced team. He's also bringing 3* players to national relevance, a long stint in the top 25, and won a game in the NCAAs.

There are bigger names out there. And maybe we should consider going after them. Oats is not one of those bigger names.

What the AD needs to be finding out about Hurley:

How willing is he to adapt to the modern game? (Yesterdays shot charts seemed to indicate they were big on 3s and layups/dunks which is a good indicator. mid-range shots = bad these days.)

What assistants or adaptations will you make to offense? His offense is bad right now. Is that because of limited personnel? Or does he need to bring in an offensively minded coach to take control of that side of the ball?

How are you going to take the steps to grow as an in-game coach? His adjustments late this season have been just-okay.

Everything else he's doing well with. Their pressure D is astounding, he's developing players, almost no transfers, solid recruiting and connections in the area, history of program building etc.

You're not wrong about any of this. I'd just point out that no coach we get is going to be complete. So, we're going to have to hope he does develop over time in some areas, whatever those may be.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's also probably why you see a higher Defensive FG% that people on here are worried about including myself. When you close out hard, you leave yourselves open to drive. And URI doesn't have anyone over 6'8, I believe. Their center is like 270lbs. They have no one who can be a presence inside to make up for those kinds of mistakes.

This is pretty much us too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Thing is, there's doubts about every coach. Unless you're getting K, Roy, and the like, it's a risk. Get as much info as you can and bet accordingly.

Reaction Score
Thing is, there's doubts about every coach. Unless you're getting K, Roy, and the like, it's a risk. Get as much info as you can and bet accordingly.
That's sort of my point: you're taking a gamble. By any objective measure, Hurley looks like a great bet. But it's still a bet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I heard an interesting thing about the seniors on URI team - they were recruited by Hurley - Bobby Hurley recruited Matthews and the other 3 seniors not Danny
Heard it on Sirrius XM about the Buffalo coach who was recruited to Buffalo to coach by Bobby Hurley when he left URI - went to wikopedia to see if I could verify and presto - there it is
Bobby was at URI for only 1 year and handled all the recruitment for the team
Just a tidbit I thought I would throw in the mix
Hurley/Oats/Matta = not a very enticing choice but if you put a gun to my head and say pick one - I might roll the dice on the Oats guy, he would come at a better price tag and if you get Chills to stay it would cover recruitment for a while
Just a thought and a little concern about Danny's recruiting acumen

Giving Hurley no credit for any of his recruits is a bit much. If you think Chillious is the key for Oats, then just give Hurley Chillious and Moore, and you're all set.

And don't forget Hurley handed Oats a good program. Danny built his. Twice.

You won't get Oats to come without ponying up a similar salary. Extremely confident guy who knows he'll get his shot in a few years. He's got a nice team coming back, and some decent recruits. The University showed great commitment to him, and he's apparently a loyal guy. He and his wife love the Buffalo area; she's received her cancer treatments there the past two years and is cancer free fwiw.

Reaction Score

Who in College Basketball beside 2 or 3 coaches is Brad Stevens?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom