Is Evina UConn’s best ever transfer? | The Boneyard

Is Evina UConn’s best ever transfer?

Reaction Score
Please forgive me if I am wrong here, as I have only been a fan and watching religiously for the last 10 years. But from what I can remember, Evina is by far the best transfer UConn has had come in.
she just gets it. She gets UConn and it feels like she should have been here the whole time.
she adds the edge and steel and is the clear leader of the team. The improvements she’s made since watching her at tenn have been huge and you can tell geno loves her too.
she’s had a much bigger impact on this years team already compared to the likes of Azura Stevens, who actually almost made it harder for Napheesa and didn’t make the team better the year she played or Batouly/Natalie Butler who were bit part players.
not sure a transfer has come in and been this big of a part of a team before?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And I am guessing that she is the only transfer that was a starter for every game (so far...).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And I am guessing that she is the only transfer that was a starter for every game (so far...).
Evina is playing well but she would have to play significantly better to match the numbers put up by Azura Steven’s in her only season at UCONN where she led the team in blocks, Fg%, RPG all while playing only about 20 minutes per game.

Reaction Score
Evina is playing well but she would have to play significantly better to match the numbers put up by Azura Steven’s in her only season at UCONN where she led the team in blocks, Fg%, RPG all while playing only about 20 minutes per game.
It’s not just numbers. Evina is the “heart and soul” of the team, according to her teammates. Azura was never that person.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just hope that she decides to stay one more year. With the other 3 young ladies that come to UConn next year, they could have one of the most impressive teams in UConn history.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It’s not just numbers. Evina is the “heart and soul” of the team, according to her teammates. Azura was never that person.
Sure you can throw out the numbers and talk about intangible things like "heart and soul" and leadership and grit if you want. I though we were talking about basketball impact -as in quantifiable things that translate to the score board and actually help you win. I'm glad we have Evina but isn't it kind of a shame that a transfer steps in and becomes the "heart and soul" of a UCONN team. I'm pretty sure no such void existed when Azura transferred to UCONN. Azura didn't need to be that person.

Reaction Score
As far as leaders that team had 2 good ones in Nurse and Williams. Azura didn't have to be. Evina is the team leader this year and gives them what they were missing last year!

Reaction Score
Hunter was a real good player who was limited because of her knees and if she was healthy with no previous injuries. UConn wins the NC that year. As for Azura I didn't think she was used the way she should have been. They wanted her inside like when they switched Gabby and she thrived in it. For Azura it didn't take.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sure you can throw out the numbers and talk about intangible things like "heart and soul" and leadership and grit if you want. I though we were talking about basketball impact -as in quantifiable things that translate to the score board and actually help you win. I'm glad we have Evina but isn't it kind of a shame that a transfer steps in and becomes the "heart and soul" of a UCONN team. I'm pretty sure no such void existed when Azura transferred to UCONN. Azura didn't need to be that person.
And what did we win win with Azura? And as you so noted in the Paige thread where Maya played with a better cast, Azura played with a much more seasoned cast, where she was not the oldest with more experience than Everyone else on the team. I would say Azura had unbelievable skills but a quieter Personality and not “edge attitude” in competitiveness like Evina. Azura had nice stats for her one year, losing to ND in the semis.

Reaction Score
We lost an entire class. We only had 2 incoming juniors this year, without Evina. There was a huge leadership void that she has assumed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes. Evina is contributing more all around than Azure in my opinion.
Besides what she’s doing on the court where she has been invaluable for the freshman as a mentor. I’m glad we have her.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And what did we win win with Azura? And as you so noted in the Paige thread where Maya played with a better cast, Azura played with a much more seasoned cast, where she was not the oldest with more experience than Everyone else on the team. I would say Azura had unbelievable skills but a quieter Personality and not “edge attitude” in competitiveness like Evina. Azura had nice stats for her one year, losing to ND in the semis.
Another comparison is that Evina is the ultimate complementary player, providing UConn with whatever the team needs on a given night, whether it’s points, playmaking, defense or in a recent game, even leading the team with 14 rebounds.

During the one year that Z played, initially she spent a lot of time roaming the perimeter shooting 3’s. Geno and his staff pushed Z to spend more time in the paint, which she eventually did. The problem with that move was it also forced Pheesa, UConn’s best low post option, to the perimeter where she was far less effective.

Whether Z or Evina was/is UConn’s best transfer is debatable. Which player complements her teammates more is not. That would be Evina.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sure you can throw out the numbers and talk about intangible things like "heart and soul" and leadership and grit if you want. I though we were talking about basketball impact -as in quantifiable things that translate to the score board and actually help you win.
So you're saying having "heart and soul" doesn't impact a team and help them win? That sounds pretty silly.

Reaction Score
I always felt like Azura took away as much from the team as she gave back? Not her fault and I don’t mean this as a negative on her at all, but as someone said above, her and Pheesa just couldn’t work together as well as we maybe had hoped and it took away from Pheesa’s game for sure. Whereas E isn’t taking anything away from any player on this team, but she’s adding an awful lot. As Paige has said “she’s the heart and soul of this team”.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you're saying having "heart and soul" doesn't impact a team and help them win? That sounds pretty silly.
:eek:Absolutely not. What I'm saying is heart and soul is not quantifiable. I'm also saying that team (16-17) didn't need heart and soul from Azura, they had Tierney Lawlor.:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We lost an entire class. We only had 2 incoming juniors this year, without Evina. There was a huge leadership void that she has assumed.
No doubt Evina is playing well and assumed a leadership void. Was it a "huge" leadership void? Huge in this case is not quantifiable. What is quantifiable is that Azura Stevens put together one of the most productive seasons EVER at UCONN when measured on a 40 minutes basis. Quantifiable better than Morgan Tuck's Junior & Senior seasons. Quantifiable better than Gabby Williams Senior season, Quantifiable better than than Megan Walkers last season. Quantifiable better than Napheesa Collier Junior season. Quantifiable better than any of Kia Nurse or Crystal Dangerfield's 4 season at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Yes Evina is the best transfer player Uconn ever had by a mile. People forget she was the number 2 ranked high school player coming out behind Walker..... I have always felt that Evina was a far better player than Walker.....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was only stating that she was a starter since her Day 1...nothing else. :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stevens IMO was a better player than Westbrook but Evina seems to fit in better and enhance the team more. A lot of that comes down to situation and need, as Westbrook has come in and filled a role of being a leader and a glue player that UCONN needed. Stevens was joining a team that didn't really have a need for her, so she wasn't able to enhance the quality of play in the same way. She joined a team that returned 4 starters and had Dangerfield penciled in as the 5th starter. They came off a 36-1 season where they nearly won it all and had incredible chemistry. She was joining a polished team. Z was fantastic in her role, put up big numbers and was instrumental in both Notre Dame games, but she and Collier could never find a good rhythm together on the court and she went pro after Geno kept her on the bench during critical moments in the F4, after she had played great all game.

Ironically, I think Stevens wouldve been a fantastic transfer for UCONN in any of the 3 seasons after 2018. It was situational with that roster why it didn't work out as hoped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom