Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE??

Reaction Score
If Ed Cooley coached at UConn with the same results he had at Providence

We'd run him out of town a long time ago

3-7 in in the tournament.

4 one and done

Exactly one sweet 16 appearance, and that was his pinnacle

As overrated as it gets in my world

I think tournament success cam be misinterpreted. Just because you lost in the tournament doesn't mean you didn't overachieve to get there. Calhoun was criticized early in his UConn career for his tournament record. You think Georgetown didn't have some logical reasons for luring Cooley?

Reaction Score
I don't count DePaul since they may be beyond repair.

Hurley
Smart
McDermott
Holloway
Pitino
English
Mata
Miller
Neptune
Cooley
DePaul.

If you were drafting coaches, maybe you pick Cooley ahead of Neptune???

Smart has done so well at Marquette and they were/are a legit FF team with a healthy Kolek.

English keeping PC together without Hopkins, Miller doing a good job without Fremantle, Holloway and Mata have done well. Pitino is Pitino and McDermott can obviously coach.

Seems like Mova and Gtown are the two teams without an identity.

Put another way how many of the BE coaches would give you really bad vibes if they became HC at UConn?
Cooley, Neptune and Pitino.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agreed. It's not us, but would creighton be a comp? marquette? virginia tech?
What would be the power conf school where expectations were met at 3 tourney wins in 12 years?
Seton Hall would be. PCs peer school.

Reaction Score
Only 35 years

Good coaches win more, and certainly don't underachieve every post season

And many coaches more at lesser schools
They began stepping into the national picture under Dee Rowe and Perno which got them into the BE. Calhoun then made them a national power. So no not 35 years.

Reaction Score
Kim English is going to have his work set out for him this offseason. He's losing Oduro/Gaines and very likely Carter. Gets Hopkins back but tbd in what form and has the 107th ranked recruiting class. They could be in for a very rough season.

Reaction Score
Well he did tell that PC fan that he is rich as ----.
Contrast with Hurley who wears an Apple Watch - the cup of the carpenter LOL.

'You have chosen........wisely.'

Reaction Score
Kim English is going to have his work set out for him this offseason. He's losing Oduro/Gaines and very likely Carter. Gets Hopkins back but tbd in what form and has the 107th ranked recruiting class. They could be in for a very rough season.
English looks to be a pretty decent coach. He put his players in a position to get after us, and they kept banging all the way through. They just dont have enough play makers to keep up with us. I’d lay money they will be pretty solid in the next few years. Ineptune is a slow motion fiery accident in process. Cooley is a good coach but I don’t think he has much in the tank to get out there, recruit and do the heavy lifting to resurrect that program.

Reaction Score
English looks to be a pretty decent coach. He put his players in a position to get after us, and they kept banging all the way through. They just dont have enough play makers to keep up with us. I’d lay money they will be pretty solid in the next few years. Ineptune is a slow motion fiery accident in process. Cooley is a good coach but I don’t think he has much in the tank to get out there, recruit and do the heavy lifting to resurrect that program.
100% fair enough. I'm not at the point where I think KE has proven to be a solid coach yet but he is certainly ahead of Neptune. It's a bit hard to judge him this season with the Hopkins injury but they still have 2 other all conference type players and are pretty clear cut worse than last Cooley's last couple years. Another interesting note is that George Mason is having a better year than either of the two seasons with KE at the helm.

Reaction Score
They began stepping into the national picture under Dee Rowe and Perno which got them into the BE. Calhoun then made them a national power. So no not 35 years.

Attachments

• UConnPostSeason.pdf
    303.2 KB · Views: 33
Reaction Score
100% fair enough. I'm not at the point where I think KE has proven to be a solid coach yet but he is certainly ahead of Neptune. It's a bit hard to judge him this season with the Hopkins injury but they still have 2 other all conference type players and are pretty clear cut worse than last Cooley's last couple years. Another interesting note is that George Mason is having a better year than either of the two seasons with KE at the helm.
They have two other all-conference level players but literally no one else that should be getting significant minutes on a good high major team. English has shown me enough that I’m intrigued to see what he’ll do there but agree that the jury is still very much out. Unfortunately the reality is that if he does really well, he’s likely gone sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
I think tournament success cam be misinterpreted. Just because you lost in the tournament doesn't mean you didn't overachieve to get there. Calhoun was criticized early in his UConn career for his tournament record. You think Georgetown didn't have some logical reasons for luring Cooley?
LOL. Calhoun’s tournament record was losing in Sweet 16s and Elite 8s. People thought he couldn’t take the final step. Cooley won 3 games in 12 years.

Reaction Score
now do it with Porter:

Tier 1:
Hurley / McDermott / Smart

Tier 2:
Pitino / Miller / Moser

Tier 3:
Cooley / Holloway / Matta / English

Tier 4:
Neptune

Reaction Score
now do it with Porter:

Tier 1:
Hurley / McDermott / Smart

Tier 2:
Pitino / Miller / Moser

Tier 3:
Cooley / Holloway / Matta / English

Tier 4:
Neptune
FWIW, which I know might be nothing, I would still put Pitino in Tier 1. Trust me, no one will look forward to seeing St. John's in the first round of the NCAAT if they make it.

Tier 1:
Hurley/ McDermott / Smart / Pitino

I would put Holloway in Tier 2. The guy can coach. Getting St. Peter's into the Elite Eight as a 15 seed is great stuff. He has good schemes and strategy with Seton Hall. He just needs to up his recruiting a little more, but a lot of that depends on Seton Hall's NIL situation.

Cooley should be there, too. He rebuilt Providence. Even though his postseason record is nothing great, Providence was irrelevant among Big East circles for 6 years after 2004 and for 6 years earlier after 1997. Tim Welsh couldn't do much and Keno Davis was a disaster.

Tier 2:
Miller/ Moser/ Holloway/ Cooley

Tier 3:
Neptune/ English

Tier 4:
Tony Stubblefield (who got fired in January)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom