Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE??

Reaction Score
I don't understand the disrespect for Cooley, I think he's a very good coach who gets the most out of his players. This year, he's playing the hand he was dealt.

Until now, he's never been at a school whose name alone has any drawing power. In a couple years, he's going to have that program competing.

Reaction Score
Cooley has been a D1 Head Coach since 2006 and has won a total of 3 NCAA Tournament games. I'm guessing that's some sort of longevity/futility record among active head coaches.
Cooley took Providence to the tournament 8 of his last 10 seasons there if there was the Covid canceled tournament. Providence missed the previous 7 tournaments before Cooley got there and hadn't won a tournament game in 14 seasons before he got there.

The Cooley is a terrible coach because Providence has no success thing this board does is beyond stupid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cooley took Providence to the tournament 8 of his last 10 seasons there if there was the Covid canceled tournament. Providence missed the previous 7 tournaments before Cooley got there and hadn't won a tournament game in 14 seasons before he got there.

The Cooley is a terrible coach because Providence has no success thing this board does is beyond stupid.

Let's not mix up "worst" with "bad".

But how many BE schools right now would trade their HC straight up for Cooley?

Or, how many BE teams this season would be doing better if Cooley was coaching that team as compared to the actual coach?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) Hurley - winning the NC gets him top billing.

2) Holloway - He has done as much with as little as any coach in the country. He has a roster with one guy that can actually shoot (Dawes), a center he found in the discount rack (Bediako) and a bunch of tweener 1990's street ballers (everyone else). Richmond and Addae-Wusu are terrible from outside (23.5% and 27.4%) and that is with teams not even defending them on the 3 point line. They can't hit wide open 3's. The team also doesn't have a point guard. And while the team's defensive scheme and fundamentals are pretty good, they aren't a lock down defense this season. Seton Hall does one thing well, take it to the hole, and that should be hard to do given that everyone knows they are going to do it. This team should suck, and yet it is going to finish 4th in the Big East. Holloway has done an amazing job this season, and I would not object if Holloway won BE COY. He might cut down the nets in April some year once he is running a big time program.

3) Smart - put together a good team quickly in Milwaukee, but feels like he is treading water a bit this season. We will see how they do in March.

4) McDermott - Building a national program in Omaha is no small feet, so McDermott gets props for that. And Creighton's "A Game" is as good as any team's in the country. Their "C Game" shows up a little too often though.

5) English - Providence could have nose dived when Hopkins got hurt, and yet they are still in the mix for an NCAA Tournament bid. And they do it without all the drama queen nonsense of the Cooley era. Good job by the new coach.

6) Miller - He is a great game coach, but he gets dinged a little for roster construction this year. Freemantle is a big with foot problems who has played a lot of minutes early in his career. That situation is not going to improve, and Miller should have found another forward in the transfer portal to protect him in case Freemantle's injury was serious or Hunter got hurt. Providence, Butler and Seton Hall found quality bigs in the transfer portal, and Xavier struck out.

7) Pitino - He took a college rotisserie team and has coached them into the tournament, so I will give him credit for that. I wouldn't say he has had a great year though.

gap

8) Matta - I feel like he has been mailing it in since he has come out of retirement. Put together a few mid-20's low major players that could score, and Butler was fun to watch this season, but this team has a long way to go to be actually competitive, and he is going to have to rebuild much of the team again this offseason. Also, he looks like death warmed over on the bench.

9) Cooley - he has always been an overrated coach that people think is great but is really just mediocre. Whiffed in the Transfer Portal despite being at a program that has resources. This season should be unacceptable if I am Georgetown's AD.

10) Neptune - I could tell this guy was not a big time head coach by the middle of last year. He reminds me so much of Lappas in that he seems to know his stuff, but is just small time. Not a winner. Villanova should cut him loose at the end of the season. This is not going to get better.

11) Depaul - It will be interesting to see what the administration does in the offseason. I think there is a meaningful shot Bobby Hurley takes this job.

Reaction Score
This season has caused me to reconsider my Cooley opinion. There is no excuse to be this bad with the portal. Plenty of programs have flipped their roster towards respectability in one off-season.

Reaction Score

Would you want a Head Coach who has won 3 total NCAA Tournament games in 18 seasons as a Head Coach? I didn't think k so.

Reaction Score
Would you want a Head Coach who has won 3 total NCAA Tournament games in 18 seasons as a Head Coach? I didn't think k so.
At Providence? Yes

Going to the tournament constantly is the goal for a program like Providence.

Reaction Score
I think English would be a much better coach right now if his best player hadn't been lost for the season. Definitely a "could have been" season for the friars.
What games have you been watching? Hopkins was at best their 3 best player and it wasn't even close.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't understand the disrespect for Cooley, I think he's a very good coach who gets the most out of his players. This year, he's playing the hand he was dealt.

Until now, he's never been at a school whose name alone has any drawing power. In a couple years, he's going to have that program competing.
He's not a very good coach. Never has been.
And I promise you there are 9 other coaches in the BigEast who could scratch out at least one league win with that Georgetown roster other than beating DePaul. I would bet my IRA and 401k on it. Just 1 league win.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Cooley's hiring coincided with the conference realignment. That benefitted Providence getting set up for some success as much as Cooley did at the time. He did get some momentum going there subsequent to that which sure you can credit him for. But he was at his ceiling and is now way far on the other side of the hill. He wont ever have any success at Georgetown close to what their actual expectations (and pay!) for him are.

Reaction Score
Georgetown has fallen badly over the start of this century, but it has the potential to get even worse.

They currently share a downtown arena with the Wizards and Capitals. The owner of those teams is planning to move them to Virginia. If that happens investment around the arena will completely dry up. Crime (already an issue) will worsen and bar and restaurant options will further disappear.

Unless Georgetown improves markedly before then, I don't see how they will even manage to draw the paltry attendance they currently get. They need a coach who can turn the program around ASAP. The first season from Cooley has not been promising.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Cooley can coach. And that he has a Top 20 recruiting class coming shows he might be able to bring in some players. If he gets them in the Top 25 in a couple of years I would think G'town would consider it money well spent.

Reaction Score
Georgetown has fallen badly over the start of this century, but it has the potential to get even worse.

They currently share a downtown arena with the Wizards and Capitals. The owner of those teams is planning to move them to Virginia. If that happens investment around the arena will completely dry up. Crime (already an issue) will worsen and bar and restaurant options will further disappear.

Unless Georgetown improves markedly before then, I don't see how they will even manage to draw the paltry attendance they currently get. They need a coach who can turn the program around ASAP. The first season from Cooley has not been promising.
If the DC pro teams were to move it would mean Georgetown would get a brand new pro arena to play in that's 20 minutes away from campus instead of the older pro arena they currently play in that's 15 minutes from campus. It sounds like Virginia lawmakers won't fund the project anyways.

Reaction Score
At Providence? Yes

Going to the tournament constantly is the goal for a program like Providence.
And doing nothing whatsoever once they get there, ever. No thanks.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pitino is overrated on an overall career basis in the pros as well as his later NCAA years. He has done less with more. He should have won more at Kentucky. His Louisville teams were formidable but lost games they had no reason to lose. He was great at BU and UMess but was bitten by bad characters but then again, he was the boss. IMO

Reaction Score
You have a much higher opinion of Providence basketball than I do.
Seriously, it's almost like single elimination tournaments have extreme variance and counting his 5 seasons at Fairfield makes no sense. Prior to last season Hurley had 2 tournament wins in 12 seasons as a HC.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
What games have you been watching? Hopkins was at best their 3 best player and it wasn't even close.
Might look that way now after others have risen up in his absence, but you can find assessments like this when he went down. This was borzello from espn:
Hopkins, a 6-foot-7 junior, has been No. 23 Providence's best player since transferring to the Friars from Kentucky in the spring of 2022. He averaged 15.8 points and 8.5 rebounds per game last season, earning first-team All-Big East accolades and leading Providence to the NCAA tournament.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I tried breaking the coaches into tiers. It is hard for me to compare a coach like Holloway or English with a Pitino or Matta (or Cooley for that matter). I ordered the coaches by where I would rank them in their tier

Tier I - Coaches in their prime: Hurley, Smart, Miller, McDermott
Tier II - Last stop of a long career: Pitino, Matta, Cooley
Tier III - Up-and-coming: Holloway, English, Neptune
Tier IV - DePaul

For me Tier I coaches have demonstrated success in this Big East. I could see Holloway making a jump to Tier I with another solid BE season and some success in March. Of course Pitino could or should probably be Tier I as well but I want to see it come together for Johnnies next year
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but McDermott is older than Matta.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but McDermott is older than Matta.
And Cooley is younger than both. When Matta has Butler humming as a perennial top 4 team in the league we can discuss Tier I

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom