Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE?? | The Boneyard

Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't count DePaul since they may be beyond repair.

Hurley
Smart
McDermott
Holloway
Pitino
English
Mata
Miller
Neptune
Cooley
DePaul.

If you were drafting coaches, maybe you pick Cooley ahead of Neptune???

Smart has done so well at Marquette and they were/are a legit FF team with a healthy Kolek.

English keeping PC together without Hopkins, Miller doing a good job without Fremantle, Holloway and Mata have done well. Pitino is Pitino and McDermott can obviously coach.

Seems like Mova and Gtown are the two teams without an identity.

Put another way how many of the BE coaches would give you really bad vibes if they became HC at UConn?

Reaction Score
There is a difference between being a good basketball coach and having shown you can compete for a national championship. Ed Cooley is a good basketball coach. What he’s done for his career isn’t destroyed by not turning around a terrible Georgetown program in one year. But the list of coaches with whom we could compete for national championships, using your list, stops after either Smart or McDermott (if you’re being generous).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There is a difference between being a good basketball coach and having shown you can compete for a national championship. Ed Cooley is a good basketball coach. What he’s done for his career isn’t destroyed by not turning around a terrible Georgetown program in one year. But the list of coaches with whom we could compete for national championships, using your list, stops after either Smart or McDermott (if you’re being generous).
Don’t forget Thad Matta’s been to a few Final Fours.

Reaction Score
Do they have good recruits coming in? I liked some of Ewing’s recruits but they always seemed to leave Georgetown as soon as they could.

Reaction Score
He's definitely the worst of the known quantities. Neptune and English are still a bit enigmatic until they get a few seasons and recruiting cycles under their belt. I am probably giving Neptune too much benefit of the doubt

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s his first year with a horrendous roster. Give him a few years and he’ll have them where he had Providence - 6th in the Big East

I used the term "worst" rather than "bad" for a reason.

Cooley has somewhat of a track record of a high floor, low ceiling, but he is definitely in the lower third of coaches in BE.

It's as much a backhanded compliment on the BE coaching overall as it is a pot shot at Cooley.

Reaction Score
I’ll give Cooley until next year. With everything that program has been leaking about their huge NIL budget for next year, if he doesn’t produce a team that finishes in the top half of the BE, I’ll be on board with this.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Might be better than Neptune, but I suppose Neptune can win 3 tourament games in 12 years or so

Early on, I think there was talk about Matta being COY

I still think they may give it to Holloway. He's going to get a lot of support. Although I do believe Dan will win. We've been too good

Reaction Score
After the top three, you got five or so coaches that all could be tied for 4th. Miller had an awful year but he might be halfway out the door.

Reaction Score
Neptune is horrendous. Look like a lesson in how to ruin a legacy program. I almost feel bad for Nova, but don’t.

Reaction Score
I really like Brumbaugh and Fielder and will be watching their development over time. Give Cooley a few years to get and develop his guys and then we’ll see

He was a very successful coach by Providence standards. The standards at Georgetown are higher so he’ll need to prove he was worth that contract

Reaction Score
He's a no brainer over Neptune IMO. I'm also taking him over English and am iffy on Holloway.

What Neptune is doing at Nova is boarderline malfeasance. 34-30 over 2 years with the core that he's had and $ they've spent on NIL is horrific. The guy inherited 3/5 starters and the 6th man from a 2 seed FF team.

Reaction Score
Holloway cannot be above Pitino - or even Mata or Miller. And Cooley needs to be above English and Neptune given his track record.

Hurley
Smart
Pitino
McDermott
Mata
Miller
Holloway
Cooley
English
Neptune

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Holloway cannot be above Pitino - or even Mata or Miller. And Cooley needs to be above English and Neptune given his track record.

Hurley
Smart
Pitino
McDermott
Mata
Miller
Holloway
Cooley
English
Neptune

Agree. I kinda blended BE standings with listing the coaches knowing wither way Ed ends up near the bottom.

Reaction Score
The Big East has a ridiculously good stable of established and up-and-coming coaches.

Cooley has been overrated because he was graded on the curve of being at lowly Providence. Most of his reputation is based on that curve, not his tangible accomplishments. It remains to be seen what he can do at a school with history and resources.

Reaction Score
I tried breaking the coaches into tiers. It is hard for me to compare a coach like Holloway or English with a Pitino or Matta (or Cooley for that matter). I ordered the coaches by where I would rank them in their tier

Tier I - Coaches in their prime: Hurley, Smart, Miller, McDermott
Tier II - Last stop of a long career: Pitino, Matta, Cooley
Tier III - Up-and-coming: Holloway, English, Neptune
Tier IV - DePaul

For me Tier I coaches have demonstrated success in this Big East. I could see Holloway making a jump to Tier I with another solid BE season and some success in March. Of course Pitino could or should probably be Tier I as well but I want to see it come together for Johnnies next year

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Big East has a ridiculously good stable of established and up-and-coming coaches.

Cooley has been overrated because he was graded on the curve of being at lowly Providence. Most of his reputation is based on that curve, not his tangible accomplishments. It remains to be seen what he can do at a school with history and resources.
Based solely on his interviews and pressers, the adulation he received for making a sweet 16 has killed him. He comes off as one of the sport’s HOF members rather than a solidly mid coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom