Is college football happening? (Do not inject politics into threads outside the cesspool) | The Boneyard

Is college football happening? (Do not inject politics into threads outside the cesspool)

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If not I want my $35 back that i paid for a season ticket.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
If the peak is around mid April as some sources speculate, the college football season should be fine. If it continues to get out of hand like it is right now, or if there is a second peak after restrictions are loosened, then college football is not looking so good. I’ll play the optimist for once and will day that I do believe it is going to be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is a shorter season. Start mid-late September. And play10 games.

Here is the thing. To date this has been largely but not exclusively a Coastal issue but is now spreading inland. And it has been addressed differently in different regions too. So it is possible that while the peak in NY might be reached in April/May that might not be true in Georgia for example where Atlanta is just now seeing the kind of expansion we saw in March. So they might not peak until June-July. Or some other states where little to no action is being taken to slow the spread might be dealing with this even later. Then how do you send a team to Mississippi when it isn’t under control there or host one from Tennessee if it is still raging there? Honestly I’m less concerned about those later games but used them to illustrate what could occur. BTW the NFL is concerned about the same issue. What if Dallas is still under quarantine in September but Boston is not? How do you run a league? How do you run pre-season even? UConn and the Pats can have preseason but Houston and Ol’ Miss cannot?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My guess is a shorter season. Start mid-late September. And play10 games.

Here is the thing. To date this has been largely but not exclusively a Coastal issue but is now spreading inland. And it has been addressed differently in different regions too. So it is possible that while the peak in NY might be reached in April/May that might not be true in Georgia for example where Atlanta is just now seeing the kind of expansion we saw in March. So they might not peak until June-July. Or some other states where little to no action is being taken to slow the spread might be dealing with this even later. Then how do you send a team to Mississippi when it isn’t under control there or host one from Tennessee if it is still raging there? Honestly I’m less concerned about those later games but used them to illustrate what could occur. BTW the NFL is concerned about the same issue. What if Dallas is still under quarantine in September but Boston is not? How do you run a league? How do you run pre-season even? UConn and the Pats can have preseason but Houston and Ol’ Miss cannot?
Wasn’t the Georgia governor just on TV saying he didn’t realize asymptotic carriers was a thing? We may be okay up here by summer but the rest of the country is loony. Then we get hit when people from hard hit areas “flee” (see: bring with them) the virus and come to the northeast. It’s just so damn annoying with the half measures. I have no idea why planes are still flying. There’s no weddings no funerals nowhere is open and no business that can’t be done remotely. Same goes for people who got on cruise ships like March 10th and are now stranded. What the hell did you think was going to happen? Sorry for the rant.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

0E93A3FA-C9CE-4C67-8FE8-FE9E2B2924B3.gif

Reaction Score
Wasn’t the Georgia governor just on TV saying he didn’t realize asymptotic carriers was a thing? We may be okay up here by summer but the rest of the country is loony. Then we get hit when people from hard hit areas “flee” (see: bring with them) the virus and come to the northeast. It’s just so damn annoying with the half measures. I have no idea why planes are still flying. There’s no weddings no funerals nowhere is open and no business that can’t be done remotely. Same goes for people who got on cruise ships like March 10th and are now stranded. What the hell did you think was going to happen? Sorry for the rant.
Was it Tennessee where the legislature passed a bill to overturn actions by Mayors of some larger cities to close businesses? And of course Senator RonJohnson from Wisconsin told the Milwaukee paper that it wouldn’t be that bad. Worst case “ only” 1-3% of the population would die. The other 97-99 % would carry on. It didn’t occur to that dope that 1-3% of the US Population would be 3-11 MILLION people. Some of these guys don’t have the brains of a rock. Sorry. But you got me started!

Reaction Score
This data model is very good. IHME | COVID-19 Projections

If, as projected, the number of deaths (and by default, cases) massively slows by June 1 and continues a downward trajectory to almost zero per day by July 1, a fall sports season at least with no fans in attendance is a very possible outcome.

Reaction Score
I’m humored by the holier than thou approach by some. This is the same board that thought postponing AAC basketball tourney was crazy. Thoughts evolve as this pandemic moves from theory to reality.

Reaction Score
No season. All it takes is one non-symptomatic positive case to kickstart the next wave.
I'd be surprised if kids are on campus in the fall.
"The next wave" doesn't have to and most likely would not look like the one occurring now.

1. Larger amounts of testing and increased efficacy of treatments stamp out small clusters before they grow into larger-scale spread.

2. It stands to reason that the more severe strains of the virus will not last as long as the less severe strains. Unfortunately, those severe strains are more likely to result in the death of their host and/or a hospitalization of the host, thereby removing them from social contact.

3. The more people who have already and will recover from prior infections increases the amount of immunity among the general population. It also increases the amount of antibodies that can be used as treatments.

All of this is not to say that a fall sports season will or will not occur. No one has an answer to that now - anyone who does is foolish. It's to say there are steps we can and should be taking now to reach a point where someone getting infected is no longer a red alert-type of situation that it is now. Instead, it would be closer to what would happen if someone caught the flu or a cold - they're isolated and treated, and it's not a public health crisis. This is a scalable solution instead of trying to apply a band-aid every time.

Reaction Score
Question, and maybe someone addressed this already so my apologies in advance...If they do go to a modified season with conference games only, how does that affect UConn and the other handful of Independents where all of their games are of the non conference kind? We’d get shut out of our entire schedule? Save for if we’re playing another independent?

Reaction Score
Question, and maybe someone addressed this already so my apologies in advance...If they do go to a modified season with conference games only, how does that affect UConn and the other handful of Independents where all of their games are of the non conference kind? We’d get shut out of our entire schedule? Save for if we’re playing another independent?
In the McMurphy “hey what-if” article:

>>But what about the seven independents, specifically Notre Dame? How would they schedule matchups in a conference-only format? What happens to the Army-Navy Game?

The easiest way to do the conference-only schedule might be allowing each school nine “conference” games. The SEC could add another conference game without any issues, while the ACC could have nine schools play Notre Dame and have it count as a conference opponent. The other five ACC league members could each schedule another independent (Army, BYU, UConn, UMass, Liberty or New Mexico State) to get its ninth game.

The independents would have to be very creative with their schedules to get to nine games, perhaps playing some sort of round-robin schedule.<<

Reaction Score
In the McMurphy “hey what-if” article:

>>But what about the seven independents, specifically Notre Dame? How would they schedule matchups in a conference-only format? What happens to the Army-Navy Game?

The easiest way to do the conference-only schedule might be allowing each school nine “conference” games. The SEC could add another conference game without any issues, while the ACC could have nine schools play Notre Dame and have it count as a conference opponent. The other five ACC league members could each schedule another independent (Army, BYU, UConn, UMass, Liberty or New Mexico State) to get its ninth game.

The independents would have to be very creative with their schedules to get to nine games, perhaps playing some sort of round-robin schedule.<<
As always, thanks Medic

Reaction Score
Not @ UConn with HCRE2.0, not sure what to call it but it ain't football!

Reaction Score
"The next wave" doesn't have to and most likely would not look like the one occurring now.

1. Larger amounts of testing and increased efficacy of treatments stamp out small clusters before they grow into larger-scale spread.

2. It stands to reason that the more severe strains of the virus will not last as long as the less severe strains. Unfortunately, those severe strains are more likely to result in the death of their host and/or a hospitalization of the host, thereby removing them from social contact.

3. The more people who have already and will recover from prior infections increases the amount of immunity among the general population. It also increases the amount of antibodies that can be used as treatments.

let's hope so

Reaction Score

First off, I hope they play in the fall. If not the fall then the spring. I think it would hurt the revenues generated by college basketball, if they did the split semester. I know basketball doesn't generate anywhere near the money football does, but it would definitely lessen the blow to smaller budget football programs (UConn.) College basketball can't afford to have its audience distracted by football.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Notre Dame agreeing to 9 ACC games. 1st because it would be the end of independence. I doubt they ever go back to the current arrangement and they know it too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom