Is a BE split off the table? | The Boneyard

Is a BE split off the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It does not appear from all various media reports that a split from the BB is an option that was discussed or that is under any serious consideration. Is this another lost opportunity to split conference and get Uconn into a real all sports conference? What could be holding up the most logical resolution to BE?

Reaction Score
It does not appear from all various media reports that a split from the BB is an option that was discussed or that is under any serious consideration. Is this another lost opportunity to split conference and get Uconn into a real all sports conference? What could be holding up the most logical resolution to BE?

You mean other than the fact that no athletic directors or presidents think it is in the best interests of the football schools to split despite internet demands to the contrary? Other than that, nothing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With the B12 merger off the table there is no combination of schools available to the BE to make splitting the optimal solution.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You mean other than the fact that no athletic directors or presidents think it is in the best interests of the football schools to split despite internet demands to the contrary? Other than that, nothing.

BL - sometimes I feel like you, Fleud and a few others are the only people that "get it" on this board. I've banged my head against the wall with this issue so much, that it's not even worth the effort anymore.

Reaction Score
Too bad the option of splitting which was very viable and option #1 for all FB schools in 2003 was somehow discarded. See page 4 in the link - (1) The group votes 6-0 to pursue option B - the 8/9 team/I-A conference model. Oh wait, it was abandoned to save the BB schools. And now the BB schools hold all the power and the FB schools none of it.

When does Uconn begin to be a leader in this mess instead of a follower?
http://mysite.verizon.net/fethrs/Minutes July 2003.pdf

Reaction Score
Too bad the option of splitting which was very viable and option #1 for all FB schools in 2003 was somehow discarded. See page 4 in the link - (1) The group votes 6-0 to pursue option B - the 8/9 team/I-A conference model. Oh wait, it was abandoned to save the BB schools. And now the BB schools hold all the power and the FB schools none of it.

When does Uconn begin to be a leader in this mess instead of a follower?
http://mysite.verizon.net/fethrs/Minutes July 2003.pdf

And yet, you seem to ignore the fact that it was discarded, voluntarily by the football schools, and that the football schools we know have the right to withdraw now, and had the right to withdraw before Syracuse and Pitt bailed, and yet were not pursuing that option. Putting aside whether you think splitting makes sense, what does the fact that none of the football schools are pushing for it tell you? Is it more logical to conclude that you're just smarter than all of the decision makers at those schools, or that they have more information than you do which brings them to a different conclusion?

Which of those hypotheses seems more rational to you?

Reaction Score
And yet, you seem to ignore the fact that it was discarded, voluntarily by the football schools, and that the football schools we know have the right to withdraw now, and had the right to withdraw before Syracuse and Pitt bailed, and yet were not pursuing that option. Putting aside whether you think splitting makes sense, what does the fact that none of the football schools are pushing for it tell you? Is it more logical to conclude that you're just smarter than all of the decision makers at those schools, or that they have more information than you do which brings them to a different conclusion?

you're cruel!

Reaction Score
A split now would make as much sense as Netflix and Qwikster did before a 50% stock plunge.

Reaction Score
At least some here recognize the stupidity of the "WHY CAN'T WE SPLIT AND ADD ECU!!!!!!!!" crowd of the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
At least some here recognize the stupidity of the "WHY CAN'T WE SPLIT AND ADD ECU!!!!!!!!" crowd of the last couple of years.
nonetheless, I would like to not split, and also not reject ECU out of hand. If we have seven now [I hope, I hope, I hope], I'd like to add the service academies to 10, and then a take your pick of Houston, UCF, Memphis, ECU, Temple. I'm not sure all the service academies come, but if they do, I think Temple and UCF make sense. But ECU also. There's no love for UCF in many quarters.

Reaction Score
My comment was about those who wanted the split+some CUSA team pre-SU, Pitt to ACC. Now that they're gone, the CUSA clowns become a move of necessity, not a move of further solidification.

Reaction Score
If we add the /CUSA schools......we are going to be nothing but a footnote in History

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
With the B12 merger off the table there is no combination of schools available to the BE to make splitting the optimal solution.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
That B12 BE merger isn't completely off the table even if Missouri stays with the B12. There will be nine schools and that conference may decide to look east. If the B12 wants to go to 16 then they could invite the seven BE football schools. This is unlikely but can't be ruled out. Even if Missouri heads to the SEC this merger is possible. About the only thing anyone can rule out is the BE football teams other than TCU will be part of the PAC.

Reaction Score
In 2003, were any of us aware that the split option was on the table? I don't think we were. Why was it abandoned? I seem to recall discussions about BB credits and no auto BB bid for one side of the split (the football schools were on the short end I believe despite having 3 dominant programs that would have gotten bids regardless). How come 3 of the 6 teams that wanted to split in 2003 are gone? Could it be that they tired of a bifurcated conference with two distinct factions that do not share common direction and effort? Were they tired of carrying dead weight that comes from one side that limited their revenue stream (insert Rutgers joke here if you want)? How long were they probing the viability of escape before it was announced? If you don't think it was years, you are more naive than me. That all seems logical to me. If you truly believe that keeping BE football as a BCS conference is viable thru expansion, and FB money is the root of all conference moves, from solely a Uconn perspective, doesn't pushing the idea of a split make logical sense? Is that one way to maximize the value of the brand? If Uconn is left as the last FB team in the BE (which is not out of the realm of possibilities), you might ask yourself again in 8 years why didn't the conference split when given a second chance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't mean to be and I apologize to the poster if it comes off that way. Lawyers just talk like that sometimes.

But I do stand behind the analysis.
Ha. Felt like a 1L again there for a moment reading this.

Reaction Score
In 2003, were any of us aware that the split option was on the table? I don't think we were. Why was it abandoned? I seem to recall discussions about BB credits and no auto BB bid for one side of the split (the football schools were on the short end I believe despite having 3 dominant programs that would have gotten bids regardless). How come 3 of the 6 teams that wanted to split in 2003 are gone? Could it be that they tired of a bifurcated conference with two distinct factions that do not share common direction and effort? Were they tired of carrying dead weight that comes from one side that limited their revenue stream (insert Rutgers joke here if you want)? How long were they probing the viability of escape before it was announced? If you don't think it was years, you are more naive than me. That all seems logical to me. If you truly believe that keeping BE football as a BCS conference is viable thru expansion, and FB money is the root of all conference moves, from solely a Uconn perspective, doesn't pushing the idea of a split make logical sense? Is that one way to maximize the value of the brand? If Uconn is left as the last FB team in the BE (which is not out of the realm of possibilities), you might ask yourself again in 8 years why didn't the conference split when given a second chance.

So answer my question. Why didn't the 8 football schools break away say, when they decided to add TCU? Because you know more than them?

Reaction Score
So answer my question. Why didn't the 8 football schools break away say, when they decided to add TCU? Because you know more than them?
If the option was presented, they lacked the votes to do so. Who was not ready to split? That is the real question. Rutgers (the darling of the B1G), Lville and Cinci (they benefit pretty significantly from the BE in BB as much as FB). Uconn out of some misguided sense of loyalty to Providence? Do you think, with the benefit of hindsight, that splitting in 2003 would have resulted in the BE FB facing the same issues 8 years later?

If the goal is to maximize the value of Uconn (which is Uconn's goal and I assume the hope of this board) and given the current lack of options to move immediately to a more stable conference, you should not drop any option. Since the stated BE plan is expansion of FB/BB schools only, I hope that the split option remains. If you do not split, in my opinion (which is worth as much as my toenail), you do not solve the base underlying dysfunction of the conference. You need to keep all of the FB schools plus TCU to maintain BCS status. Add 2 all sports schools and you have a viable conference. You need all schools pulling in the same direction and on the same page. Without that cohesion, you do not maximize your value and you have the same issue repeating itself again. And if you have this situation again, there is no guarantee that Uconn is not left behind. Splitting increases the odds of Uconn being in a BCS conference for FB and gives them a fairly decent BB league to compete in too.

Reaction Score
If the option was presented, they lacked the votes to do so. Who was not ready to split? That is the real question. Rutgers (the darling of the B1G), Lville and Cinci (they benefit pretty significantly from the BE in BB as much as FB). Uconn out of some misguided sense of loyalty to Providence? Do you think, with the benefit of hindsight, that splitting in 2003 would have resulted in the BE FB facing the same issues 8 years later?

If the goal is to maximize the value of Uconn (which is Uconn's goal and I assume the hope of this board) and given the current lack of options to move immediately to a more stable conference, you should not drop any option. Since the stated BE plan is expansion of FB/BB schools only, I hope that the split option remains. If you do not split, in my opinion (which is worth as much as my toenail), you do not solve the base underlying dysfunction of the conference. You need to keep all of the FB schools plus TCU to maintain BCS status. Add 2 all sports schools and you have a viable conference. You need all schools pulling in the same direction and on the same page. Without that cohesion, you do not maximize your value and you have the same issue repeating itself again. And if you have this situation again, there is no guarantee that Uconn is not left behind. Splitting increases the odds of Uconn being in a BCS conference for FB and gives them a fairly decent BB league to compete in too.

The football schools didn't need the vote of a single basketball school to split over the last few years. So, again, stop making your case and ask yourself why it is that they didn't leave?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It's all about money. If the football schools thought it would make financial sense to split, they would have done it.

Seriously, how do you not understand this?

Reaction Score
The football schools didn't need the vote of a single basketball school to split over the last few years. So, again, stop making your case and ask yourself why it is that they didn't leave?
Read it again. I said the FB schools did not have the votes. I meant amongst themselves. There must be enough FB schools that in the past believed a mongrel is better than a purebred.

Now answer my questions, why is the hybrid model not working? Why have 5 schools left the conference for what is a questionable increase in revenue?why is splitting now not a worthwhile option for the FB schools to really explore? If adding two FB/BB schools to the current BE maintains its BCS status, wouldn't the same adds maintain it as a stand alone conference? Why is staying in a hybrid conference more beneficial to Uconn than being in an all sports conference? If the hyrid works so well, why are the majority of the FB schools looking to move to other conferences?

Reaction Score
It's all about money. If the football schools thought it would make financial sense to split, they would have done it.

Seriously, how do you not understand this?
Why is it off the table now? If losing teams every 8 years is profitable, I guess I would not want a split. If being in danger of losing the BCS status for your conference is profitable then take it off the table.

There is no way losing 5 teams in less than 10 years is profitable. I believe one of the root causes is the conference structure. There must be a reason no other major conference has the characteristics of the BE. The BE FB schools, if they are committed to staying together as a BCS league, need to look at the split option. Otherwise they will probably come to regret it, again.

Reaction Score

I don't disagree with your logic. But there is another logic that also works. We don't split, but the onlies learn to just ENS (emit no sound - nice way to say stfu) in terms of conference composition. If they say one word about football or membership, then I go with your logic, which is: split now. But if they play along, there is no reason to split. They bring great basketball value. Without Syracuse and Pitt, a lot of these recruits are going to end up at Seton Hall and St. Johns. The basketball will recover nicely, just watch. But they have to ENS.

Reaction Score
Read it again. I said the FB schools did not have the votes. I meant amongst themselves. There must be enough FB schools that in the past believed a mongrel is better than a purebred.

Now answer my questions . . . Why have 5 schools left the conference for what is a questionable increase in revenue? . . . If adding two FB/BB schools to the current BE maintains its BCS status, wouldn't the same adds maintain it as a stand alone conference? . . . If the hyrid works so well, why are the majority of the FB schools looking to move to other conferences?
I would like to try to answer some of them. Nothing to do with the hybrid conference for these programs. If they stayed together in 2003, they all would have fared better, save VTech - who has done just as well in the ACC. The reason is pedigree, 100%. VTech never had any, so they were going to do just as well in either conference, based on production. But the others, Miami, BC, Syracuse and Pitt view themselves, rightly so, as of a different breed in the football pantheon. They are royalty, fallen drastically, mightily, horribly, but still . . ................... royalty. Former national champions (maybe not BC), but former Oscar winners, Heisman winners, All Americans -- all of that -- now impoverished, down on their luck, relegated to living in the same trailer park with the likes of Uconn, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF (egads!), Rutgers, and our poor relations that don't even own a trailer, out in the real boondocks, West Virginia. This is just intolerable. Just intolerable! You can't even comprehend how intolerably painful this is. And now, we are being invited back, we're being invited back into the fold, into the flock, the community, where we once were, where we belong! Finally! Let's get our best old suit out of mothballs: let's look our best. We're going to the fancy party! My friends..... this has nothing to do with whether the Big East is better or worse than the ACC. This has to do with what neighborhood you get to live in. This is all about pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom