Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, you people are weird. An ND fan posts something entirely favorable to UConn and you spend two pages arguing with him about it. Lighten --- up.

That said, UConn should and will jump on the first P5 invitation that floats their way. I don't care if it's the PAC 12.

Contraire. I only argued that the ACC sucks ballz, not that we wouldn't join it.

Reaction Score
I'll leave it to you to learn some history. You have obviously completely bought in to the version being spewed from South Bend.

Regardless, Domers generally want to point to (revised) history to justify their present and future instead of just playing it out on the field.
Fielding Yost lived and acted to try to have the Big Ten boycott ND.

Meatchicken cancelled the series in 1909, after our first win. We played agin in 1942, and Meat won and so was happy to play in 1943. We won and Meat again cancelled future games.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Tobacco Road and Virginia and know that UCONN has always had support from TR (and Virginia) at every CR meeting. If UCONN does go to the B1G and not the ACC, I would love nothing more than to partner up with any Tobacco Road school in annual basketball or football (or both) series. UNC/Duke/Virginia vs UCONN at the Garden in December before conference play begins would be fun to watch. Good tuneups for both teams after their sleepy December schedule wraps up and we're about to embark on conference play. Or agree to play our ACC vs B1G :))) matchups at the Garden. F Syracuse. They can continue to schedule their annual matchups with Niagara and Conisius.

I'd like to hope that UVA can keep its men's team competitive like it was this season going forward to make a matchup with UConn worth watching. We've had some teams in the recent past that wouldn't make for interesting games with UConn. Watching a UConn men's team blow out UVA wouldn't be all that fun. We almost had a UConn-UVA game at the Garden this year in the NCAA, but UVA missed a couple too many shots down the stretch against Michigan State.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Who says UConn cannot have the ACC?

You seem to think that UConn's very late arrival to the party of D1 football did not mean major obstacles. That late starting point for the sport that drives the bus of all conference realignment means that once UConn was looking, it was in a line that had formed when it was playing 1AA football. Even Louisville was D1 back when Johnny U played for the Cards.

UConn started too late to be near the top of the list anytime before maybe 4 years ago. And the 3 ACC additions in that time all make sense, in the order they were taken, considering football as the number 1 factor. Syracuse and Pitt both have a Heisman winner and multiple Hall of Famers. Louisville has Johnny U and 2 BCS bowl wins over the past decade. UConn football moved up far too late in the game to better any of those.

The logic of this post escapes me. You start off by saying, "Who says UConn cannot have the ACC?", and then immediately proceed to give one argument for why UConn can't have the ACC? Your initial statement suggests you think that UConn could be part of the ACC, but the entire rest of your post is dedicated to rejecting that notion. Quite odd.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd like to hope that UVA can keep its men's team competitive like it was this season going forward to make a matchup with UConn worth watching. We've had some teams in the recent past that wouldn't make for interesting games with UConn. Watching a UConn men's team blow out UVA wouldn't be all that fun. We almost had a UConn-UVA game at the Garden this year in the NCAA, but UVA missed a couple too many shots down the stretch against Michigan State.

We actually had a home and home series with Virginia 15-18 years ago - they stick in my memory simply because the games were so one-sided.

Not that I expected a championship, but the two teams in our region that I really didn't want to see UConn play were St. Joe's and Virginia. I never entirely bought into Michigan State and was a little surprised that they got past UVa.

(Edit - I flipped through the media guide looking for the game we played at Virginia - it was just a mess of a game. UConn was up 29 in the first half and it ended 77-36.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The logic of this post escapes me. You start off by saying, "Who says UConn cannot have the ACC?", and then immediately proceed to give one argument for why UConn can't have the ACC? Your initial statement suggests you think that UConn could be part of the ACC, but the entire rest of your post is dedicated to rejecting that notion. Quite odd.

No, it is an explanation for why UConn is not now in the ACC. There are valid reasons, all football related, that UConn has not already been invited into the ACC. UConn fans need to face those reasons. Your AD certainly has too, because neither the ACC nor the BUG will make an offer, ever, if your AD remains bitter and refuses to see how UConn failed to do what it should have early enough to position itself for realignment.

My guess is that your AD has already done that.

Reaction Score
Of course, UConn would absolutely take an ACC offer if one came (and the Big 10 wasn't willing to counter). That doesn't mean it wouldn't make me happy beyond measure to see the Big 10 make a play thereby cutting off the ACC's northern tier (BC, Syracuse and Pitt) into isolated outposts that truly show how misguided their expansion moves have been.

As for Swofford having UConn (with the support of the league's old guard) in his vision only to be over-ruled by power plays from a few schools, if true that just confirms that the league's realignment "strategy" has been driven by politics and short-term considerations (i.e. panic and desperation) rather than a real plan.

Reaction Score
First off, you people are weird. An ND fan posts something entirely favorable to UConn and you spend two pages arguing with him about it. Lighten --- up.

That said, UConn should and will jump on the first P5 invitation that floats their way. I don't care if it's the PAC 12.
Didn't want to post from my phone as it capitalizes every word no matter the browser, and that sheet is annoying, but my feelings exactly. If the ACC invited us tomorrow, we'd accept yesterday. I'd love BBall games against Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt and UVA. FB against Miami, Clemson, BC, FSU.

Reaction Score
Here's a tip for visiting fans...

Do not pretend that you understand the timing or the process of our transition to DIA football.

You don't and you look silly pretending that you do.

I don't know the state politics involved, nor the university politics. But I know that UConn did not decide to move up in football until the late 1990s, when the early internet was already buzzing about Miami wanting to join the ACC. I know that you could not build an on campus stadium because of lack of support, from the state and your athletics boosters.

It does not matter the exact reasons why UConn was so late to the party of football. What matters is that its late arrival has been a severe handicap. And that handicap is the reason other schools got invites to the ACC before UConn.

Want to blame people? Blame your past school leaders and blame your boosters in the last century. Blame your state legislators and governors.

Reaction Score
We actually had a home and home series with Virginia 15-18 years ago - they stick in my memory simply because the games were so one-sided.

Not that I expected a championship, but the two teams in our region that I really didn't want to see UConn play were St. Joe's and Virginia. I never entirely bought into Michigan State and was a little surprised that they got past UVa.

I'm hoping that UVA has finally recovered from Pete Gillen. He ran the program into the ground, but he won just enough home games against the big boys of the ACC to keep his job, and he convinced the school to sign a long term contract. Dave Leito came after, but he didn't get along with his team and didn't last long at all. Tony Bennett did well this year. I hope he can build on this momentum.

Reaction Score
No, it is an explanation for why UConn is not now in the ACC. There are valid reasons, all football related, that UConn has not already been invited into the ACC. UConn fans need to face those reasons. Your AD certainly has too, because neither the ACC nor the BUG will make an offer, ever, if your AD remains bitter and refuses to see how UConn failed to do what it should have early enough to position itself for realignment.

Warde Manuel has gone back and created an artificial football history for UConn in the 50s, 60s and 70s? I'll bet we have a few fake Heisman winners mixed in their too. The old timers remember when they built the first ever dome over Memorial Stadium and expanded capacity to 60,000. Those were the days.

You keep saying that UConn's lack of history is the problem that UConn must address (How precisely does one address a lack of history short of waiting another 30 years?) but that is apparently no longer the case because we are now apparently perfect for the ACC. Was it the history making wins in the last three games of the 2013 season that changed things?

Lastly, I loved learning about the wrongs Michigan did to ND in the early to mid 20th century.....and I thought BC really knew how to hold a grudge for a long time. They are amateurs compared to ND.

Reaction Score
Of course, UConn would absolutely take an ACC offer if one came (and the Big 10 wasn't willing to counter). That doesn't mean it wouldn't make me happy beyond measure to see the Big 10 make a play thereby cutting off the ACC's northern tier (BC, Syracuse and Pitt) into isolated outposts that truly show how misguided their expansion moves have been.

As for Swofford having UConn (with the support of the league's old guard) in his vision only to be over-ruled by power plays from a few schools, if true that just confirms that the league's realignment "strategy" has been driven by politics and short-term considerations (i.e. panic and desperation) rather than a real plan.
Do you live in the real world with real people? They are quite capable of acting under the covers to ruin plans to get what they want.

You also assume here that Swofford's plan was to stop at 12 or 14 teams. I think Swofford has aimed at 16 all along, because he felt that was the only way to get ND. The only glitch in Swofford's plan., as I think of it, is that Maryland, bleeding money from its athletics department, lied to everybody and secretly negotiated with the BUG and left.

Big Deal. Louisville has a larger and much newer and nicer football stadium and much more success over the past 25 years.

I don't think Rutgers was ever part of the ACC plan, and I think UConn was. But UConn, starting so far behind in football, was always going to be among the final 2 added to complete a 16 team conference.

Reaction Score
In what way is Rutgers football now better than UConn football?
Ummm..they are in a P5 and we are not;
They have a better 1, 3, 5 etc record than we do
They went to a bowl last year, and each of the last three years
Need I go on?
I have no use for them, but based on our recent experience, they are better than us right now (hopefully not future tense IDWT)

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel has gone back and created an artificial football history for UConn in the 50s, 60s and 70s? I'll bet we have a few fake Heisman winners mixed in their too. The old timers remember when they built the first ever dome over Memorial Stadium and expanded capacity to 60,000. Those were the days.

You keep saying that UConn's lack of history is the problem that UConn must address (How precisely does one address a lack of history short of waiting another 30 years?) but that is apparently no longer the case because we are now apparently perfect for the ACC. Was it the history making wins in the last three games of the 2013 season that changed things?

Lastly, I loved learning about the wrongs Michigan did to ND in the early to mid 20th century.....and I thought BC really knew how to hold a grudge for a long time. They are amateurs compared to ND.
Are you certain you are not a WVU fan?

Reaction Score
Are you certain you are not a WVU fan?

Absolutely sure. I just find it annoying that an ND fan would go on a UConn site and announce that UConn belongs in the ACC, but has rightfully been kept out, as if anyone on this end could do anything about its alleged shortcomings (short of creating the artificial history that you apparently didn't find amusing). Go sell it to your peers in the league because that's where the opposition came from that kept it from happening already. In the meantime, don't be shocked when UConn fans are fed up with the ACC's antics and praying for a better option.

Edit: BTW, Does anyone think that Louisville was ever in the ACC's plans before they panicked because the general collapse of their football prowess league-wide threatened to drive away the two remaining upper level teams? Why would anyone count on their being much of a strategy behind the league's expansion process?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Don't make the assumption that that ACC's old guard reluctantly invited Louisville or was deperate. Louisville sold themselves very well during that week after Maryland left, and the ACC expansion committee had already vetted many schools. I don't expect Louisville's athletic department to come into the ACC and bomb. I think they will do much better in the ACC than Rutgers and Maryland will do where they're going. That's just my personal opinion.

I would very much like to see UConn invited, and I do think the vision is to go past 15 to 16 members and perhaps beyond. I don't think that the Big Ten cut anything off either. The ACC has had Boston College in the Northeast all alone for a decade. Now they have some friends.

Reaction Score
Over the long run, the Big 10 is a much more stable conference than the ACC. The Big 10 is made up primarily of state flagship universities. The ACC is made up of everything from state flagship universities, religious schools, private schools, second fiddle state universities, and a hybrid member. That is not a recipe for long stability! Eventually, the goals and ambitions of the schools in the ACC will diverge, similar to what happened to the Big East.
What do you mean, not long...It has ND. ND is good for stability...how soon we forget about the original Big East!!!

Reaction Score

Again, I don't see how that answers, or even addresses, my question about your prior comment.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
(Edit - I flipped through the media guide looking for the game we played at Virginia - it was just a mess of a game. UConn was up 29 in the first half and it ended 77-36.)

I remeber that game because that was the first time I saw Ray Allen play. And was blown away by his shooting. Everything was net.

Reaction Score
That's garbage and anybody with sense knows it. In the ACC, your basketball with Syracuse would burn brighter than ever. Your games with Duke and North Carolina would quickly become almost as hot. Your games with us would intensify.

And then there is BC in all sports. The only New England rivalry would get red hot. It would matter down in your bones.
Yeah but in women's Basketball we are nothing but bullies...according to your coach. With ND, this is how it starts, our support will erode with ND women's basketball and soon after your men's basketball will have issue with us, and then your football team which is currently 0-1 against UConn. So, and I don't mean to be blunt, but I question ND's support for UConn both short term and certainly long term. We already know they will look out for themselves and when UConn tries to do the same thing....we are blackballed.

I also view ND as the Judas of college football! If you can change my perspective you might be able to win over some others...Turning UConn blue as I hold my breath in anticipation!

Reaction Score
Don't make the assumption that that ACC's old guard reluctantly invited Louisville or was deperate. Louisville sold themselves very well during that week after Maryland left, and the ACC expansion committee had already vetted many schools. I don't expect Louisville's athletic department to come into the ACC and bomb. I think they will do much better in the ACC than Rutgers and Maryland will do where they're going. That's just my personal opinion.

I would very much like to see UConn invited, and I do think the vision is to go past 15 to 16 members and perhaps beyond. I don't think that the Big Ten cut anything off either. The ACC has had Boston College in the Northeast all alone for a decade. Now they have some friends.

UConn's football history may be brief, but Louisville has absolutely no history as an academic institution on the level the ACC used to claim for its members. There's no way that UVa, Duke, GT, etc. consider UL to be one of their academic peers. The league sold one of its distinctions down the river because it panicked over its football standing.

Edit: As for BC now having friends, they are 300+ miles from each other in a densely populated part of the country. It's an issue of mindshare density. Two private schools and a non-flagship public won't bring the continuous chain of interest required. I grew up in Albany, and while Syracuse does have a small fan base there, the combination of BC and Syracuse (each about 150 miles away) does little to create an ACC-centric following in that area. Similarly BC-Pitt and Pitt-Syracuse don't give you the type of 1+1=5 mindshare required to build great media ratings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope you are kidding. ND has history with the BUG that goes back to before WWI, history in which the BUG has done a great deal to try to harm ND. We do not not trust the BUG, at all.
....and now you know how we feel about the ACC...Michigan is to the Big Ten is to ND as BC is to the ACC is to UConn

Reaction Score
I think most of the long-time fans on this board are basketball fans. We would have loved nothing more than an invite to the ACC along with our conference rivals - Cuse/Pitt and certainly Lville. We dreamed about playing Duke and UNC on a regular basis and how awesome it would be to be part of an ACC tourney in NYC. For a variety of reasons, it didn't come to pass.

As this conference realignment process has dragged out, I think UConn fans have increasingly begun to consider the idea (hopefully) of an invite to the B1G. It's not the same from a basketball standpoint, but there seems to be less animosity and more mutual respect for our accomplishments and what we as a University can bring to the table. We all know that UConn's resume isn't perfect. We lack the football history/tradition, we don't have a Harvard-sized endowment, and we are not AAU (yet). However, we are a University on the rise both athletically and academically - we are investing where it matters and we are committed to the value of sports. In addition, games (football/basketball) against Michigan, MSU, Indiana, OSU, etc are beginning to sound pretty cool -- especially as we start to build rivalries and history like the Elite 8 game.

At the end of the day, we want nothing more than to sit at one of the big boy tables -- and I think we believe we have a tremendous amount to offer to the ACC and the B1G today and into the future. We are scared to death about our long term fate, but the more we perform on and off the court the stronger case we can make when/if the next round occurs.

I think we all feel a little better when outsiders come to the board and tell us that they'd love us in the conference and can't believe we weren't selected because it gives us hope that others see what we do. However, we know in our heart of hearts that no one really knows what a conference commissioner and a bunch of collegiate presidents will ultimately do. So we wait and we build and we hope.
Dude, I wish could like that post a thousand times!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom