Iowa State Freshman Audi Crooks | The Boneyard

Iowa State Freshman Audi Crooks

Reaction Score
Hopefully that will change next year. ISU only had two national TV games in the regular season, Iowa and Texas. A Sweet Sixteen run would do wonders for her national image. Still, going to have to go against the Big Ten hype and national press next year going Watkins Watkins Watkins and the rest of the nation talking heads going Hidalgo Hidalgo Hidalgo 24/7. Throw in SEC and Booker Booker Booker. :oops:

She's averaging 19.7 pts and 8.8 in league play, so right at 20/9. That's a fractions behind Madison Booker's 20.2. For the record, I REALLY like Booker. Texas will be formidable next year if Harmon is back close to 100%. With Harmon/Booker leaving to the SEC the path is there for Crooks to be the Big 12's marque player. Or maybe a combo with ISU's other star freshman, Addy Brown (12.8 pts 7.9 reb 4.4 ast).

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Audi Crooks is averaging 25 points and almost 8 rebounds. She's #21 nationally in FG%. The media is negligent when failing to bring her up when talking about this freshman class. Well done, young lady!
18.7 points but I agree, she deserved more attention nationally. Same with her teammate Addy Brown who is averaging 13.5 points, 8.4 rebounds and 5 assists. The "problem" is that this freshman class is so deep and more attention is understandably going to Hidalgo/Watkins.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
18.7 points but I agree, she deserved more attention nationally. Same with her teammate Addy Brown who is averaging 13.5 points, 8.4 rebounds and 5 assists. The "problem" is that this freshman class is so deep and more attention is understandably going to Hidalgo/Watkins.
Going back to the 2009-10 season, the list of Div I WBB freshman who have 8.40 reb/g and 4.96 ast/g starts and ends with Addy Brown, regardless of scoring.

Add in the 13.5 ppg, and the only other high-major players of any class who have hit all three marks are 2012-13 Alyssa Thomas (2nd-team AA) and 2019-20 Sabrina Ionescu (National POY).

Source: herhoopstats.com

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Still, going to have to go against the Big Ten hype and national press next year going Watkins Watkins Watkins and the rest of the nation talking heads going Hidalgo Hidalgo Hidalgo 24/7. Throw in SEC and Booker Booker Booker.
There might be a little bit of hype about Bueckers next year?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wondered what had happened to her. Yesterday was the first time I had seen or heard anything about her this season. Glad to see she is playing and playing well.

Reaction Score
ISU got thumped pretty bad by Texas tonight. Madison Booker was outstanding for Texas. Audi Crooks got her 25 points but got off to a slow start and Texas defense just swamped ISU. Saw this Twitter post and just reinforced why she's my fav.

Reaction Score
There might be a little bit of hype about Bueckers next year?
I think that ship has sailed unless they are healthy and a contender again. MiLaysia Fulwiley is another freshman that will be competing for that spotlight too and if she gets the minutes is the most exciting of all of them.

Reaction Score
VERY interested to see how Maryland handles Audi inside. Good luck, Terps--because you just might need it!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think that ship has sailed unless they are healthy and a contender again. MiLaysia Fulwiley is another freshman that will be competing for that spotlight too and if she gets the minutes is the most exciting of all of them.
I understand all the excitement about various Freshman from this season. My thought is that Clark rose up to be the superstar and media focal point while Bueckers was mostly out injured. If she is in full form for another season next year, like this, maybe the media will rediscover her to some degree.

Reaction Score
Saw this Yahoo story posted on another board. List of players other than Clark, Reese, Brinks and Bueckers for fans to look for. Mostly an obvious list but was pleased as a Cyclone to see Iowa State freshman Audi Crooks on the list.

Reaction Score
I understand all the excitement about various Freshman from this season. My thought is that Clark rose up to be the superstar and media focal point while Bueckers was mostly out injured. If she is in full form for another season next year, like this, maybe the media will rediscover her to some degree.
Maybe, but JuJu is the new Paige. I’m not saying it’s right, but it’s how the media is. They get on one person fairly quickly and push that narrative. If Paige come out guns blazing that might change but there are a lot more exciting players right now. That’s just reality.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After seeing her highlights in high school, I wondered how she would perform at a major college. Welp, she definitely can perform at this level. :D She's a fun player to watch

On a related note. Iowa State needs to change the song they use next season for player introductions

I suggest the chorus from Shook Ones :D

Son, they shook 'cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks
Scared to death and scared to look
You shook, there's ain't no such things as halfway crooks
Scared to death and scared to look

Yeah, its late, I probably should go to bed soon :oops:

Reaction Score
Back to Audi Crooks - tonight 40 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks. 18 of 20 from the field. Oh my. Love to watch her play.
Kudos to Ms. Crooks and her team for winning the game. However, I’m not sure what was going on with Maryland, as it seems like they’d all forgotten how to box her out, or deny the passes going to her. From what I saw, it appears that Audi’s teammates constantly lobbed her the ball, and that strategy worked perfectly well in getting the job done. Survive and move on, and that’s exactly what Iowa State has done. Good job.

Reaction Score
Great performance. I saw her really battle Ayoka Lee a couple times which made me think she will probably dominate 99 percent of her opponents. I think she'll give Stanford problems but I do expect Stanford to win.

Reaction Score
Way to go, Audi!! Great game. Folks were comparing Audi's game to the legendary Bill Walton's epic game at UCLA back in the game. What a game! How do you explain a freshman playing in her first NCAA Tournament game posting a stat line like this? Crooks and Bill Walton are the only two players with 40 points while shooting 90% from the field! Outstanding! Well done, Audi. Well done.

One more thing. From a historical perspective, for those of us that have been following WBB since the 80s, might remember Clemson great Barbara Kennedy. She dropped 43 points in her NCAA debut in 1982. This was the first year of the NCAA holding the women's tournament. Ms. Audi joining some impressive company.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hadn’t seen her before She was obviously good, but UM was horrible at defending entry passes. It’s not like she is 6’7. Great hands and looks like she makes layups in her sleep.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I ventured over to other games when I saw Maryland was up by 20. Then I saw the lead was halved and came back.
By then, she was in such a groove -- getting every seal she wanted and going up immediately for the shot -- that there was no stopping her.

Maryland's Achilles Heal this year was not having a paint presence on defense, imo. As much as I admire Faith Masonius' grit, she's a 6'1" (at most) wing playing out of position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom