Insider article: Sue Bird's advice for Paige Bueckers | The Boneyard

Insider article: Sue Bird's advice for Paige Bueckers

Reaction Score
This is a really enjoyable read. It's like a passing of the torch, from a past UConn legend to a future one.

Sue on what Paige should expect from coach Auriemma:

"He wants to bring out the best in you. My advice to Paige is really to trust that there's gonna be highs, trust that there's gonna be lows, and trust that it's all happening in order for her to reach her potential."

"The whole idea of being comfortable with being uncomfortable?" Bird added. "That's really what your career at Connecticut is like. You gotta be real comfortable with being uncomfortable."

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like the emotional analysis but for Paige, I think the analysis Crystal and in the same direction Diana said is the most critical thing that Paige is going to have to handle.

'He will strip your game down and reconstruct it in his vision'.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige is one of the most confident players I’ve seen coming out of HS, with good reason. It will be really interesting the first time she comes away from practice, shaking her head, wondering if she ever knew how to play basketball. Geno has that remarkable ability to force the greatest players to question themselves and then commit to becoming even better.

Reaction Score
If Paige listens and stays for 4 years, she could be one of the best ever. She is a smart kid, but if G gets to her in a negative way.......it shouldn't happen, he's too smart for that. With the kids G has now and what he has coming in, he could be in Wooden territory.....I mean the best ever. He is already the Guru, so we UConn fans should really be in for a treat. As far as coaching goes, he has the whole package for sure.

Reaction Score
Paige is one of the most confident players I’ve seen coming out of HS, with good reason. It will be really interesting the first time she comes away from practice, shaking her head, wondering if she ever knew how to play basketball. Geno has that remarkable ability to force the greatest players to question themselves and then commit to becoming even better.

I don't think Bueckers will have much trouble with pressure, even pressure from Geno. She appears to me to have a stubborn streak along with a pretty realistic opinion of her strengths and weaknesses. Those should serve her well, along with her sense of humor. She sets a high bar for herself. She may decide to be the hardest worker in practice, which is what she did in HS.

And Geno really likes her. It didn't take him 20 games to decide, he just enjoys watching her play. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
By like token @Alydar she comes to UConn wanting to learn and be pushed. Her HS coach said the best thing he ever did was get out of her way. I don't think Geno is going to buy into that. At the same time he recognizes that her court vision and her ability to anticipate things developing in a play are gifts to be used when she is on the floor.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I don't think Bueckers will have much trouble with pressure, even pressure from Geno. She appears to me to have a stubborn streak along with a pretty realistic opinion of her strengths and weaknesses. Those should serve her well, along with her sense of humor. She sets a high bar for herself. She may decide to be the hardest worker in practice, which is what she did in HS.

And Geno really likes her. It didn't take him 20 games to decide, he just enjoys watching her play. :)

Geez, for a minute there I thought you were talking about DT, when she was a Freshman.

Reaction Score
If Paige listens and stays for 4 years, she could be one of the best ever. She is a smart kid, but if G gets to her in a negative way.......it shouldn't happen, he's too smart for that. With the kids G has now and what he has coming in, he could be in Wooden territory.....I mean

Who's G? Is that like G Callen? There's a Grisha on the staff? Who knew.

Reaction Score
I hope Paige didnt get too comfortable with Cosgriff's "hands
DT hated practice. Bueckers relishes it.
We'll have to get an update from Paige on her love for practice after Oct. 14th. I'm not sure the words relishes and practice have ever been uttered in the same sentence by any of freshmen under Geno.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am curious about how much of Paige's razzle dazzle ball handling Geno will allow. She says Kyrie Irving is her "guy" and you can really see it in her handling the ball on offense. I'm a little concerned about this "break down/build up" coaching philosophy robbing her of some great skill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom