OT: - Injuries in WBB | The Boneyard

OT: Injuries in WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a fan of UConn WBB it’s easy to think that the basketball gods are lined up against us when it comes to injuries. But as the season goes on and more and more teams are devastated by injuries to one or more key players, there is a legitimate question to be asked about player health and safety in WBB in an increasingly physical sport.

In just the last week multiple injuries forced TCU to forfeit 2 games because they didn’t have enough healthy players to field a team. K-State’s AA center Ayoka Lee will miss at least 4 weeks with a fractured ankle. Last night, another AA center, Stanford’s Cameron Brink, had to be helped off the court with an apparent knee injury.

Earlier this season, ND’s roster was devastated by injuries, TX lost their AA pg Rory Harmon and there have been countless other injuries throughout WBB. Strength training and conditioning can only go so far to limit the epidemic of injuries in WBB. At some point, the NCAA will need to look at the underlying causes of so many injuries and develop a comprehensive strategy to reduce the number.

Reaction Score
OD, thanks for putting our injuries in perspective. Hopeful no more yakking about our training staff. Agree that the NCAA needs to look into this as no other organization has the scope to do it. Hopefully though they won't just rely on NCAA staffers and bring bring in coaches, medical professionals, etc. An opportunity for the NCAA to do something less self-serving than usual. No quick fix on this one.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Taking an extended break from sports due to Covid then resuming normal activity may be a potential source of injuries. There are multiple studies

A total of 12,319 sports-related injuries across 23 sports were identified, with 7869 pre-hiatus injuries and 4450 post-hiatus injuries. There was no difference in the overall incidence of injury between the pre-hiatus and post-hiatus seasons. However, the proportion of noncontact injuries was higher in the post-hiatus season for football, baseball, and softball players, and the proportion of nonacute injuries in the post-hiatus season was higher among football, basketball, and rowing athletes. Finally, the overall proportion of injuries sustained by football players in the final 25% of competition or practice was higher in the post-hiatus season.

sun

Reaction Score
There should be some stiffer rules regarding diving on top of a player when they're on the floor with the ball, or reaching for a ball.
The scrum should be penalized (if not outlawed) by calling intentional fouls, & should accumulate during the season & result with a player suspension of an X number of games.
The same with recklessly going after rebounds & crashing on top of others.
There's virtually no limit on how hard a player can charge into someone else & sendi them crashing into the floor.
There should be a stiff penalty similar to roughing the passer in football & unsportsmen like conduct.
Someday a player will fracture their neck, break their back or crack their skull which will result in a grave injury.
I don't understand why the NCAA won't allow high tech head protection that could help prevent concussions.
There will provably be lawsuits eventually if the NCAA doesn't budge.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know that purists might have a real problem with this suggestion, but perhaps it’s time to look at rules changes in WBB that might reduce the number of injuries. At present, the only differences between MBB & WBB is the size of the ball and the fact that MBB plays 2 halves while WBB plays 4 qtrs.

While I’m not suggesting a return to 6 on 6 basketball where half the team played offense, half played defense and neither group could cross half court, it is worth noting that several team sports have significant differences between the men’s and women’s game, specifically related to physical contact. Lacrosse, ice hockey and field hockey all differentiate significantly when it comes to physical contact between the men’s and women’s game.

Reaction Score
As a fan of UConn WBB it’s easy to think that the basketball gods are lined up against us when it comes to injuries. But as the season goes on and more and more teams are devastated by injuries to one or more key players, there is a legitimate question to be asked about player health and safety in WBB in an increasingly physical sport.

In just the last week multiple injuries forced TCU to forfeit 2 games because they didn’t have enough healthy players to field a team. K-State’s AA center Ayoka Lee will miss at least 4 weeks with a fractured ankle. Last night, another AA center, Stanford’s Cameron Brink, had to be helped off the court with an apparent knee injury.

Earlier this season, ND’s roster was devastated by injuries, TX lost their AA pg Rory Harmon and there have been countless other injuries throughout WBB. Strength training and conditioning can only go so far to limit the epidemic of injuries in WBB. At some point, the NCAA will need to look at the underlying causes of so many injuries and develop a comprehensive strategy to reduce the number.
So you think the solution is for the NCAA to figure out the under lysing causes and put in a comprehensive strategy
Wow, that’s all it would take?
This has been an ongoing problem, especially with ACL injuries for women for decades, and it’s only gotten worse
This has been studied at the highest level, and there is some evidence as to why this happens to women more but in terms of prevention and there’s nothing concrete at this point
If only it was so easy as you suggest

sun

Reaction Score
There should also be a larger area that's free of obstructions all around the entire court.
It's a sick joke to have chairs & tables lining the side of the court for players to crash into.
Since the game has been speeded up so much then they should make a safer design mandatory.
It's just common sense.
It's as if the court design encourages injuries.
In MLB, the outfield has padded walls while in BB they have chairs & stands & tables etc... to crash into.

Reaction Score
Rule changes will not affect injuries to athletes. Injuries happen to athlete and non athletes. Nutrition, disordered eating, hormone, work load starting at an early age all affect bodies. Putting continuous stress on the human body leads to injuries; year in and year out non stop basketball play. Working the same muscle systems could be part of it. Lack of sleep, stress; the list goes on.

Humans want a ‘reason’ for why things happen. I have been an athlete all of my life and as I aged I learned when to rest. It is easy for men to put limits on what women can do physically. Trying to find reasons or blames for injuries is part of that. The thinking that females are the weaker sex have been around forever. Let’s not go back to that archaic thinking. Goodness…

another theory to this might be the basketball shoes being worn or medications taken by athletes. Why, why, why…

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Or could it be that high level players now play the same sport year round? And possibly some non-high level players.
And I think the rise in "physical" play doesn't help. Heck last year Lou was beat up every game and she ended the year needing knee surgery.

Reaction Score
I know that purists might have a real problem with this suggestion, but perhaps it’s time to look at rules changes in WBB that might reduce the number of injuries. At present, the only differences between MBB & WBB is the size of the ball and the fact that MBB plays 2 halves while WBB plays 4 qtrs.

While I’m not suggesting a return to 6 on 6 basketball where half the team played offense, half played defense and neither group could cross half court, it is worth noting that several team sports have significant differences between the men’s and women’s game, specifically related to physical contact. Lacrosse, ice hockey and field hockey all differentiate significantly when it comes to physical contact between the men’s and women’s game.

Majority of ACL injuries are noncontact
The injuries from contact like Azzi last year tend
Not to be surgical

Reaction Score
The way the game is played (rules) is not the problem, it’s the year-round high level play coupled with a lack of good strength training starting from early on in life. It’s more than just stretching, you need to learn proper form when weight lifting, having a correct training schedule, etc. This is not stuff most people think about so they don’t start getting it until they’re older. Also, I would suggest, a lot of people get injuries and are so anxious to get back to playing (especially before college) that they don’t rest and rehab as much as they should.

Obviously injuries will happen no matter what, but I think this contributes to a rise in injuries.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rule changes will not affect injuries to athletes. Injuries happen to athlete and non athletes. Nutrition, disordered eating, hormone, work load starting at an early age all affect bodies. Putting continuous stress on the human body leads to injuries; year in and year out non stop basketball play. Working the same muscle systems could be part of it. Lack of sleep, stress; the list goes on.

Humans want a ‘reason’ for why things happen. I have been an athlete all of my life and as I aged I learned when to rest. It is easy for men to put limits on what women can do physically. Trying to find reasons or blames for injuries is part of that. The thinking that females are the weaker sex have been around forever. Let’s not go back to that archaic thinking. Goodness…

another theory to this might be the basketball shoes being worn or medications taken by athletes. Why, why, why…
Aaah a rational, well thought out and realistic comment on the boneyard on a difficult subject
My congratulations!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

If everything you suggest is true than why do women have 4x more knee injuries than men while playing basketball? Certainly, you have to acknowledge that women’s physiology is different than men’s in a number of areas, particularly when it comes to muscle mass.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From the movie, The Replacements

Gene Hackman: It’s nasty out there.

Kennu Reaves: That’s why girls don’t play the game Coach.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Rule changes will not affect injuries to athletes.
No no no.... Go back to baseball allowing runner to run through first base, the several rule changes to protect quarterbacks, the rules protecting keepers in soccer, the introduction of flagrant fouls in basketball. I won't think of many of them, but introducing rules to reduce injury are plenty common in sports and often advocated by athletes.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There should also be a larger area that's free of obstructions all around the entire court.
It's a sick joke to have chairs & tables lining the side of the court for players to crash into.

Since the game has been speeded up so much then they should make a safer design mandatory.
It's just common sense.
It's as if the court design encourages injuries.
In MLB, the outfield has padded walls while in BB they have chairs & stands & tables etc... to crash into.
Based upon your thoughts about the court, does this mean that players at Vanderbilt have not been injured?
I am just wondering, not attacking your opinion.

Reaction Score
of course women’s physiology is different than men’s. The question of injuries is complicated and complex. That being said, the factors I mentioned are more than the physiological differences of muscle mass of men and women. There are too many factors to consider. Lifelong nutrition and eating habits might play a larger role. Stressors of life, especially micro and macro aggressions could also weaken the human body and lead to injuries also.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Inquiries and studies on how to make sports safer for the athletes who are competing in them are always welcome. Sports are participated in for a variety of reasons...but, by and large, it is because those participating in them love what they do. This is why when we see someone go down to an injury it is especially hard to take. The first thought is always is this athlete going to be able to recover 100 percent to where they were before the injury. Then there is the understanding that it could be a long road back and that there will be a lot of work and pain during the rehabbing period. Then there is the stabbing acknowledgment from the injured victim and the fans of the sport...that this individual will be deprived of doing what it is that they enjoy the most. It is for these reasons that fans regardless of the team from which the injured person hails are equally devastated by such injuries. There is no joy when an athlete from a competing program goes down. This is especially true in college and high school sports...after all these young athletes are still kids.

There have been studies that have indicated that ACL tears in women may be more frequent because of anatomical differences between men and women. Studies have concluded that the hip structure of women may play a role in increasing the incidence of knee injuries especially when a female athlete suddenly stops lateral movement. Other factors such as the game is faster and more physical now than it was in the past. New approaches to training young athletes are leading to athletes being faster and stronger. Additionally, the old axiom of "Let them play"...may cut down on the calls and give an advantage to teams that are bigger and more physical but, when referees fail to control the game and let the contact get out of hand it only exasperates the potential for injury.

Solutions? I agree with some posters here that it isn't an easy fix. It will probably take a combination of changes in rules, equipment, and physical preparation for various sports. Certainly, better and more consistent refereeing will help. Maybe a new look at knee support devices could increase the level of safety in sports. Better nutrition and conditioning will also help. However, athletes will always continue to push the limits in their efforts to be the best in their sport. So, unfortunately injuries will always be with us...but, any effort to make them less prevalent is not only welcome but necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom