In defense of Dorka | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In defense of Dorka

Reaction Score
I thought Dorka did well last night on the boards. I mean if you are not in position for a rebound, not much you can do, unless you want to risk picking up silly fouls. Dorka and the coaching staff probably had a game plan for this type of situation. I just think that she got rebounds where it was clearly easy and offered low risk.
I don't get it ... I am rewatching the game and Dorka is doing fine. If anything Geno came up with an unusual game plan. Defensively Dorka was frequently outside with her assignment, and offensively she very rarely came inside the arc. And I didn't see a lot of high post. It appears the strategy was to spread four out around the arc and make room for Aaliyah to work underneath. So both offensively and defensively she had to come from outside to make rebounds. (Not a great scheme as they got eaten up by offensive rebounds just like in last year's NC game.)

On the one hand they won the game so you could argue the game plan worked but I would argue it was not a good game plan (you can blame that on whoever scouted Tenn).

And, Tenn entire offensive plan seems to be Jackson and Horston driving the lane.

Reaction Score
I’ll take the marathons and brick walls for $500 Alex. :)
Carnac. For $500 (in BY$$$). Who was the coach for UCONN's WBB that only coached 1 season? (w/o looking it up) ;)

JBK

Reaction Score
I’m seeing some criticism of Dorka in the post game thread and rather than reply to all the posts, thought I’d start a new thread.

It was mostly her rebounding that was criticized and, yes, it seemed some bounced off her hands. She wasn’t the only one, though. I found myself yelling at Aubrey to go chase rebounds rather than watch them. Their key stats were similar, btw, 13 points, 6 rebounds.

Anywho, Geno had Dorka playing a more perimeter oriented game, often initiating the offense from the top of the key, rather like Stef Dolson used to do. While Dorka had only 6 rebounds, she did have 5 assists by passing to cutters and three point shooters. As for the rebounds, it’s hard to grab an offensive rebound when you’re standing at the arc. And didn’t it seem a lot of balls took weird bounces, mostly towards an LV player? I’m not complaining, btw, it happens. That’s the way the ball bounces.

One of the reasons Dorka was on the perimeter is because she can make threes, and sh had 2 last night. Now a post player has to come out and guard her, opening the lane for Aaliyah and Aubrey.

Dorka’s defense in the 4th quarter was big, too. She stole the ball away from the LV posts (who told them to do so much dribbling in the paint anyway?) and had 3 steals during the game. I loved the one where she snagged the ball right out of the air.

Sometimes people get so wrapped up in numbers that they lose sight of the small things, like screens and defense. I just want to go on record that I feel Dorka made some valuable contributions that were not as noticeable as some missed rebounds.
Agree with your comments.
Dorka has been through so much and wants the WNBA so bad and last night was a statement game. ( she did not stand out as much as we would like ).
Unfortunately, she is dropping in the draft due to her inability to be dominate on the glass.
She gets blocked too much from smaller players.
We still have a long way to go and I hope she gets back into the 1st round discussions

Reaction Score
Two things can be true at once. I agree with all the positives about Dora’s play but still think she missed too many defensive rebounds, didn’t always get good position, and didn’t grab the ball enough.

Reaction Score
What I noticed the most for Dorka was less efficiency in the low post in terms of scoring. Given her height, she doesn’t often experience as tough of defensive pressure as she did last night.

In my eyes, it was a perfect game for Dorka to experience before playing SC. She had plenty of positives, with some fantastic film to watch to prepare her for SC and ultimately the pros.

Kat

Reaction Score
I read those remarks about Dorka's rebounding, earlier, and just thought that these are the type of people, who if you gave them a five-dollar bill, would complain that they wanted five singles. It's never enough.

JBK

Reaction Score
I read those remarks about Dorka's rebounding, earlier, and just thought that these are the type of people, who if you gave them a five-dollar bill, would complain that they wanted five singles. It's never enough.
We are all rooting for Dorka - so why do you think she is dropping in the pre draft discussions

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac. For $500 (in BY$$$). Who was the coach for UCONN's WBB that only coached 1 season? (w/o looking it up) ;)
I have no idea. I didn't become an "avid" UConn fan until 2008. Geno is the only UConn WBB coach I know. :rolleyes:

I looked it up...........

Sandra Hamm (1974–1975)​

Sandra Hamm, a Terryville native, was employed part-time as the interim women's coach in the 1974–1975 season, when the team was 2–8. When she wasn't coaching, she taught physical education at a junior high school in Manchester.

Reaction Score
I would say there were also a few of those 'padding the offensive rebounding stats' moments in the game where a few LVs couldn't buy a lay-up but were in the inside position to grab the ball each time it rolled off the rim again. That, combined with what seemed quite a few strange bounces lead to an inordinate number of O boards given up. And has led to all this angst and criticism.

I was reminded of the old description of the Pat Summit offense: toss it up and rebound like hell.

While TN has continued to hire Pat disciples, the offensive plan has not evolved - when Pat was still fully coaching she recognized that coaches like Tara and Muffet as well as Geno were leaving her behind. The famous Pat and Harry hot tub quip was based on her trying to learn new tricks. She relied on great recruiting to maintain the competitiveness of TN, but it was beginning to fail her.
I forgot about that. Didn't Geno joke back then that Harry had left him for an older woman?

Back to Dorka, not her best game, but good enough. Tenn's offensive rebounds are probably a combination of 4 things:

1. Crazy bounces off the rim.
2. UConn purposely avoiding fouls
3. Excellent rebounding focus by Tenn / crashing the boards
4. Fatigue after that spectacular first quarter.

At one point it seemed like every Tenn score was a second chance off of an offensive rebound.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The famous Pat and Harry hot tub quip was based on her trying to learn new tricks.

Ahh the good old days...

triangle4.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ahh the good old days...

View attachment 83560
Heh heh heh. Good one Biff. :D Is this an example of the old adage............."keep your friends close, and your enemies closer?" :eek:
Biff, over the 8 years I've been a member of the boneyard, I've come to realize you have a very unique sense of humor. I don't have "Photoshop," nor do I know how to use it. If I did...............I'd have some fun with it. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have an important question for the Boneyarders who always find something to complain about, whether the team wins or loses.
Do you give your maximum, 100% output everyday, at your job?

Reaction Score
You hit the nail perfectly on the head.

Reaction Score
Wow, a couple of minor critiques (insults? c'mon) and it warrants the EMS coming to her rescue. I love this kid, her grit and desire to want to stay another year but call 'em as they happen. Great to see those key threes at a pivotal time of the game, that's part of her game and she came through. The minutes played? Not that unlike her time at Ohio State. I don't necessarily have issue with the rebounding but where I saw some areas of improvement was when Geno had her out on top, in part to clear the lane, in part to take advantage of her prowess taking the 3's. When she had the ball up top of the key she had problems protecting the ball and maneuvering her body to create space for herself, or to make a clean pass, and this wasn't once or twice. Not exactly something 'a big' practices, but if Geno is going to have her play out there then she needs to be able to distribute and hold on to the ball. No misdemeanor charges forthcoming just some constructive criticism which happens all the time, from just about everyone on the yard.

Reaction Score
Agree with your comments.
Dorka has been through so much and wants the WNBA so bad and last night was a statement game. ( she did not stand out as much as we would like ).
Unfortunately, she is dropping in the draft due to her inability to be dominate on the glass.
She gets blocked too much from smaller players.
We still have a long way to go and I hope she gets back into the 1st round discussions
I think Dorka is a solid player. I also think she is a player that needs rest during the game. She isn't particularly strong but because of her height she is usually going up against a larger player. I don't see the huge drop off when she rests and you bring in DeBerry for a minute or two.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of fans here on the Boneyard, me included, give some criticism in hopes that it will be taken to heart and maybe help the player. I know they dont read or care about our remakes but its all done cuz we love our players and we care.

Reaction Score
Two things can be true at once. I agree with all the positives about Dora’s play but still think she missed too many defensive rebounds, didn’t always get good position, and didn’t grab the ball enough.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of fans here on the Boneyard, me included, give some criticism in hopes that it will be taken to heart and maybe help the player. I know they dont read or care about our remakes but its all done cuz we love our players and we care.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I know at least in chat during the heat of the moment I will level criticism at players who don't seem to be playing at their usual high level. I try to be a bit kinder after the fact and point out the positives rather than harping on any particular player negatives. At any rate, it's never personal, just frustration because I want to see the team (everyone on it) be successful.

Reaction Score
Watched the past two games again and changed my mind about Dorka after Villanova. Against Tenn, she did lose several rebounds she had her hands on but made clutch shots and defensive plays throughout the game even when she likely was tired. Never gave up - my suggestion is to just say "thank you" and don't let very good become the enemy of perfect. Against Villanova, she was energized in most of the first half, 1st Q in particular. Again, at the end of the game with everything on the line, she came through with big 3 pointer and other plays. Until UConn can find another 6'5" player what a strong low post offensive game, who can shoot 3's, defend wings through bigs, and rebound not sure she deserves much criticism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom