Illinois Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Illinois Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
s16lesson.jpg

Felt like this was good mojo when I saw it. Let that be a lesson: keep your shirt on!

Reaction Score
That was Clingan's best game ever I think. Total Dominant force. Our dense was stellar and we just ran away with it in the 2nd half forcing long rebounds and errors by them. I think it was stupid for their coach to say we are going to keep going at Clingan. If something doesn't work you need to adjust. I'm glad they didn't as that turned out awful for them. Cam is such a clutch player and kept us going in the 2nd half. Going to my 6th Final Four with my youngest brother. Can't wait. Go UConn!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Simply astonishing. Clingan was utterly dominant at both ends and on the boards. Castle really set the tome by just erasing Shannon 1 on 1. That was important. Our offense was so off against a bad D, but stupid Van Grundy was acting like we should be losing rather than up 20 at half. Then the 30-0 happened. I don’t even know how. Everyone had a hand in that, but Illinois doing what the coach said and continuing to attack Clingan with smaller players was not smart.

So proud of all these guys. Just amazing.

Reaction Score
The 30-0 run will go down in UConn lore. I've never seen anything like it on such a stage.

I love that this was the second game this tournament where "the opposition had the best player on the floor" and Clingan wound up being, by far, the best player. Second Big Ten star we completely shut down. That league has been overrated for 20+ years. I hope we see Purdue in the championship game.

Prior to Castle's highlight dunk, we were up 30 while A) shooting 2/15 from deep B) neither Newton nor Castle had a field goal. WTF. How on earth? Think about that: we couldn't hit a three and our offensive engine didn't have a bucket, plus Castle didn't have one. That is nuts.

In-game coaching in the college ranks is generally underwhelming but good lord, Underwood stinks. Continuing to attack Clingan and not drawing up nearly enough stuff for Shannon or getting the balls in his hand often enough. Attacking someone like Clingan is one thing if you're attacking his body or looking to draw and dish, but they were just going at him and trying to finish over him. It was wild. So much isolation too. The plan was simply to try to exploit mismatches for Domask? Their offense didn't look great against Iowa State either, ISU's dumb double-teaming just opened up a lot of opportunities.

The media will keep hyping up opponents because they need something to talk about. We're playing our B-/C+ game and still destroying everyone. Heaven forbid we find our stroke from deep again; we'd beat Purdue by 30 too. It feels odd to be so confident in a college team, but after 10 straight NCAA tournament games of this my confidence is sky high. Posters will tell people to be humble and cautious but barring an injury no one is going to hang with us for 40 minutes. We're getting #6.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom