If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You hit on a good point. In order to complete the alley oop you need someone who can make the pass with the right arc and height. I don't think UConn had any guards who could make that pass last season.
RJ could. It was the first play of the game at the XL vs. Villanova and apparently they had been working on it in practice before the game; and then they never ran it again, and Andre never scored again until the last basket of the game, which was the front end of his 1-1.

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts

I should have first stated that this wasn't meant to be an anti Hurley post. I was trying to start a conversation specifically about Hurley's offense that he has been running the last couple years the X's and O's.

The team defense for the most part has been great all year and what has been keeping them in games, the biggest flaw has been scoring.

We haven't had guards in a while that can get into the paint and consistently make plays for themselves and others, other than RJ Cole and he still had his limits even though he put up some decent numbers. (Some of that might be inflated due to usage since he was literally the only guy that could be trusted to dribble the ball).

Watching all the other teams in the NCAA tournament they all have multiple guys on the floor at all times who can break their man down and get into the paint and make plays.

I know a lot of that has to do with floor spacing so players have more room to operate.

Some of it has to do with having shooters on the court, but a lot of it has to do with coaches running plays to put players in positions to utilize their strengths and take advantage of mismatches.

I understand the available playing time, history, facilities, and conference are huge selling points to recruits, now that we just lost all three of our guards

I was looking to start a discussion from a offensive X's and O stand point, based on what Hurley has run the last few years what's going to attract elite guards to come here again and play?

Reaction Score
You can bend the truth to support your narrative but you’re just embarrassing yourself.
I don't have a narrative. From a statistical standpoint, Cole was marginally better this season than he was the year before. His scoring average increased from 12.2 to 15.8, but his assists per game dropped slightly, and his 3 point % went down as well. His free throw % went up and he played great D and drew lots of charges. I have no narrative, but Cole didn't develop that much after he got here. He was a pretty developed player from the first game he played in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

I think most of the top point guards would be thrilled to show the improvement that RJ Cole showed with Hurley as a coach. One of the coaches that had a team that played against Hurley at Howard could not believe that RJ could defend the position like he learned to do under Hurley. Also I know it sounds lame but did you realize that RJ made first team all Big East? I think that is why Hurley got a commitment from Stephen Castle one of the top point guards in the class of 2023. Not much else you can say.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Like I said, I may be forgetting somebody. You'd think I wouldn't have forgotten the guy from my alma mater, though!

Be Nice Season 9 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Fishy’s point is stupid, actually.

Villanova, Duke, UNC and Kansas are all playing transfers this weekend.

Baylor (the defending national champion) and programs like Houston and Texas Tech, amongst others, have built their highly successful programs upon transfers.

I agree. Simply said, we need to be more active on the transfer market. Eric Mussellman has made a living constructing rosters out of the transfer portal. First at Nevada and then now at Arkansas.

Reaction Score
You get to lead a talented group of teammates against top-tier competition, and have a chance to be a top 10 team and compete for national championships. You trust the coaches to work out the offense.

The offensive struggles were more a product of poor roster construction than of lack of ability to coach offense. The roster was too limited, one-dimensional, and easy to defend. The addition of shooters (Hawkins, Floyd, Karaban; Castle and maybe Griffiths to follow) and a crafty point guard like yourself will work wonders.

I wish I could agree with this but I don’t (as to the roster construction). A good coach adapts his system to the talent and strengths of his players. The other type of coach does not.

Reaction Score
I mean, I doubt it's a non-factor. A girl in a bikini is a pretty rare sight at UConn. Other schools, not so much.
True. Maybe we should take all the new recruits to Diana's pool. That'll rope em in

pj

Reaction Score
I should have first stated that this wasn't meant to be an anti Hurley post. I was trying to start a conversation specifically about Hurley's offense that he has been running the last couple years the X's and O's.

The team defense for the most part has been great all year and what has been keeping them in games, the biggest flaw has been scoring.

We haven't had guards in a while that can get into the paint and consistently make plays for themselves and others, other than RJ Cole and he still had his limits even though he put up some decent numbers. (Some of that might be inflated due to usage since he was literally the only guy that could be trusted to dribble the ball).

Watching all the other teams in the NCAA tournament they all have multiple guys on the floor at all times who can break their man down and get into the paint and make plays.

I know a lot of that has to do with floor spacing so players have more room to operate.

Some of it has to do with having shooters on the court, but a lot of it has to do with coaches running plays to put players in positions to utilize their strengths and take advantage of mismatches.

I understand the available playing time, history, facilities, and conference are huge selling points to recruits, now that we just lost all three of our guards

I was looking to start a discussion from a offensive X's and O stand point, based on what Hurley has run the last few years what's going to attract elite guards to come here again and play?

I don't think it's an X's and O's issue. UConn had the Kenpom #19 adjusted offense last year, despite starting several non-shooters, having only one ballhandler, and a 6-person rotation. With that kind of roster to get to the #19 offense suggests very good offensive coaching.

To me, the problem was roster construction, and Hurley seems to agree since he has adjusted recruiting and is remaking the roster.

Reaction Score

Seems like Cole had both a green light and freedom to do whatever. Combine that with tons of P.T. available. Why wouldn't you.

Reaction Score
Do you think RJ was better in 2020-21 or 2021-22? That's called development. Thanks.
Do you remember when some wanted Gaffney to start over RJ? Good times

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
April Fools thread?

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Literally no returning point guards going into next season -any other D1 teams in the same situation? how does this happen? at some point we have to take the “in hurley we trust” goggles off, this should never happen

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree. Simply said, we need to be more active on the transfer market. Eric Mussellman has made a living constructing rosters out of the transfer portal. First at Nevada and then now at Arkansas.

But they’re all still recruiting studs to.

Transfers typically fill in gaps. But getting studs from them is a crap shoot just like anything else. That chart showed it’s a solid way to add rotation level players for sure.

Reaction Score
It's interesting how all the guards Hurley recruited have now all left the program. Do you think it's because the offense Hurley runs is not fun to play in with no spacing and little room to operate?

Reaction Score
The NBA is an offense-driven league. We aren't the most favorable place for players to showcase their skillset. Hurley really has to get with the times or this is going to get from bad to worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom