if u need a good laugh (athlon top cbb coaches) | The Boneyard

if u need a good laugh (athlon top cbb coaches)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calhoun's age is probably the biggest factor working against him. But still, why wouldn't want to play for him? Besides weaklings such as...um, nevermind.

That block "C" logo sure is getting popular.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to set this dope straight on his twitter account...........if you look up his name at Athlon Sports you can get his twitter.........I don't tweet or whatever you call it or i'd light this bi*ch up......

Funny stuff....how could Athlon approve this ranking.......I always buy the magazine for the bathroom now I will use it!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a one year snapshot I can't get too upset. JC was awful last year.

Reaction Score
A one year snapshot or not, Mike Montgomery doesn't deserve to be on this list, much less at #11. This is not late-90's Stanford we're talking about...

Reaction Score
A one year snapshot or not, Mike Montgomery doesn't deserve to be on this list, much less at #11. This is not late-90's Stanford we're talking about...

This. There is no possible way you can defend having Montgomery 11 spots higher than Calhoun on this list. Montgomery is over the age of 60, so he's not exactly young.

For some reason a lot of media members think that Calhoun has just stockpiled talent at UConn because of the number of guys he puts into the NBA. The recruiting rankings tell a different story.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For some reason a lot of media members think that Calhoun has just stockpiled talent at UConn because of the number of guys he puts into the NBA. The recruiting rankings tell a different story.

As disenchanted as last year left me, I have to agree that #22 is a joke. JC out-coached that entire list put together the year before. It's fair to ask if any other coach could have won with that team. Almost all wouldn't have had the tactical skills to pull it off. I keep going back and forth because last year was so bad. I mean I actually went to the Rutgers game.

Reaction Score

Calhoun was hurt last year and missed a third of the season. Even when he was on the bench he was in pain and not himself.

Reaction Score
Look no further than this line for the lack of diligence this article was constructed with. Under the Krawchefski heading:

"In the NCAA Tournament, he’s proven he can still win titles, as Duke did in 2011."

So he gives other coaches credit for their history and recent successes and drops JC in the rankings because he has had health issues. He must be looking for a job at CBS too.

caw

Reaction Score
Coaches are ranked on a mix of past accomplishments with consideration for career trajectory over the next five seasons or so. Rankings take Xs and Os acumen and recruiting prowess into account along with success in the regular season and postseason.

If you were to weight it more based on "trajectory over the next five seasons or so" then I can see Calhoun being so low. He is likely not lasting more than 2 years, and many think less. Now if Calhoun was healthy and about 5 years younger, this list would look different. Heck even 3 years ago this list would look different. If you were only going to make a ranking based on this coming year, he would be higher. If projecting 5 years into the future is part of the equation then even including Calhoun is almost being nice. Now if you give me a healthy coach for one game, I'm not sure I take anyone but Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Just more ammunition for the "Ollie is the next coach" crowd. If this list is even plausible Ollie looks like a steal.

Reaction Score
Look no further than this line for the lack of diligence this article was constructed with. Under the Krawchefski heading:

"In the NCAA Tournament, he’s proven he can still win titles, as Duke did in 2011."

So he gives other coaches credit for their history and recent successes and drops JC in the rankings because he has had health issues. He must be looking for a job at CBS too.

Duke was also 2010.

Reaction Score
Coaches are ranked on a mix of past accomplishments with consideration for career trajectory over the next five seasons or so. Rankings take Xs and Os acumen and recruiting prowess into account along with success in the regular season and postseason.

If you were to weight it more based on "trajectory over the next five seasons or so" then I can see Calhoun being so low. He is likely not lasting more than 2 years, and many think less. Now if Calhoun was healthy and about 5 years younger, this list would look different. Heck even 3 years ago this list would look different. If you were only going to make a ranking based on this coming year, he would be higher. If projecting 5 years into the future is part of the equation then even including Calhoun is almost being nice. Now if you give me a healthy coach for one game, I'm not sure I take anyone but Calhoun.

That's only 1 of more than 10 criteria.

Reaction Score

He was "awful"?? He wasn't there for much#1 and neither was one of his best guards. Most important was the fact his big guys were nothing to write home about. If you factor in the loss of Kemba, a team of young and returning players who underperformed immensely I though getting to the dane was miraculous. That was not a good team and combine it with the poison the veterans introduced to the young players it was an impssible task. AD wasn't close to being ready for the big stage and despite the rumors of being a great hoops student looked totally lost at times. Factor in all of that and tell me how many of the 21 guys in front of him on that list could've done better....maybe 5............maybe not

Reaction Score
I would like to point out that our coach has not even committed to coaching this coming season and seems primed to do a Dean Smith sometime over the next two years. If it was a list of greatest coaching resumes, it would be a joke, but as for a current list and taking in current conditions and circumstances, 22 is justifiable.

Reaction Score
I would like to point out that our coach has not even committed to coaching this coming season and seems primed to do a Dean Smith sometime over the next two years. If it was a list of greatest coaching resumes, it would be a joke, but as for a current list and taking in current conditions and circumstances, 22 is justifiable.

As I said, the future is only 1 of the criteria.

Is Boeheim coaching Cuse for the next 5 years?

heck, some of those coaches will be FIRED.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He was "awful"?? He wasn't there for much#1 and neither was one of his best guards. Most important was the fact his big guys were nothing to write home about. If you factor in the loss of Kemba, a team of young and returning players who underperformed immensely I though getting to the dane was miraculous. That was not a good team and combine it with the poison the veterans introduced to the young players it was an impssible task. AD wasn't close to being ready for the big stage and despite the rumors of being a great hoops student looked totally lost at times. Factor in all of that and tell me how many of the 21 guys in front of him on that list could've done better....maybe 5............maybe not

I'm not giving you the "AD wasn't close to being ready for the big stage". He got all the PT he could possibly get, doesn't that go against the "you perform, you play" mantra we've heard for 25+ years? And I think the "poison" you mention could have been mitigated.

When I was in college our dorm had a scrappy softball team that was the last team to make it into the playoffs. Once we got in we beat everyone, especially Shakespeare who had a powerhouse that year. That was the best, they were so pissed and such bad sports it was great. We even clobbered the team that won the 1st half league in an unofficial championship.

The next year we returned most of the team, but we had some new flashier players that pretty much insisted they get all the PT because they were “better” than the guys from the year before. The coach sided with the new guys. The guys that ended up sitting got resentful, “Why should I sit? We won the whole thing when I played last year.” Morale suffered, the team never came together and we lost more than we won. Didn’t make the playoffs.

I know that intramural is light-years from intercollegiate, but I think the team dynamic is the same. Kill AO all you want for being human, doesn’t mean JC did a good job handling the situation

Reaction Score
I'm not giving you the "AD wasn't close to being ready for the big stage". He got all the PT he could possibly get, doesn't that go against the "you perform, you play" mantra we've heard for 25+ years? And I think the "poison" you mention could have been mitigated.

When I was in college our dorm had a scrappy softball team that was the last team to make it into the playoffs. Once we got in we beat everyone, especially Shakespeare who had a powerhouse that year. That was the best, they were so pissed and such bad sports it was great. We even clobbered the team that won the 1st half league in an unofficial championship.

The next year we returned most of the team, but we had some new flashier players that pretty much insisted they get all the PT because they were “better” than the guys from the year before. The coach sided with the new guys. The guys that ended up sitting got resentful, “Why should I sit? We won the whole thing when I played last year.” Morale suffered, the team never came together and we lost more than we won. Didn’t make the playoffs.

I know that intramural is light-years from intercollegiate, but I think the team dynamic is the same. Kill AO all you want for being human, doesn’t mean JC did a good job handling the situation

All I know is that I've never seen any player give Calhoun as much lip and attitude as Oriakhi did last year. Without knowing the actual dynamic and relationship, it's hard to draw conclusions. But the video doesn't lie.

caw

Reaction Score
That's only 1 of more than 10 criteria.

Perhaps, but I don't see an actual formula, there is no stating of how the criteria is weighted, etc.

If this was based solely on historical data or on the idea that everyone would be healthy for this coming year, I imagine the list would differ. The fact every other coach on the list has a reasonable expectation to still be coaching in 5 years (aside from maybe Jimmy B), that makes sense that it drops Calhoun.

Let's say it is one of ten factors, each given equal weight and each factor is worth 10 points. Calhoun is starting from a base of about 90 whereas everyone else is starting from a base of 100. I imagine Calhoun isn't getting full scores and is probably something like an 82-85/100 (note: if he were 5 years younger and healthy he would have a 92-95/100 in my book).

I have no problem with the top 10 in the above scenario being above Calhoun. I would even say the next 11 is fair, though arguable. The only big question mark for me is Montgomery, who should be closer to the 20 than 10. I also think Howland is a bit low.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I don't see an actual formula, there is no stating of how the criteria is weighted, etc.

If this was based solely on historical data or on the idea that everyone would be healthy for this coming year, I imagine the list would differ. The fact every other coach on the list has a reasonable expectation to still be coaching in 5 years (aside from maybe Jimmy B), that makes sense that it drops Calhoun.

Let's say it is one of ten factors, each given equal weight and each factor is worth 10 points. Calhoun is starting from a base of about 90 whereas everyone else is starting from a base of 100. I imagine Calhoun isn't getting full scores and is probably something like an 82-85/100 (note: if he were 5 years younger and healthy he would have a 92-95/100 in my book).

I have no problem with the top 10 in the above scenario being above Calhoun. I would even say the next 11 is fair, though arguable. The only big question mark for me is Montgomery, who should be closer to the 20 than 10. I also think Howland is a bit low.

Pitino said he's retiring in 2016. That's 4 years. Boeheim is retiring. I imagine Coach K. won't be around in 5 years either. A lot of older coaches are on that list. Seems the criteria shift a lot to stick Calhoun pretty far down.

Reaction Score
Pitino said he's retiring in 2016. That's 4 years. Boeheim is retiring. I imagine Coach K. won't be around in 5 years either. A lot of older coaches are on that list. Seems the criteria shift a lot to stick Calhoun pretty far down.

That's okay, Upstater. More fuel for the Calhoun fire! We know he'll prove 'em wrong!

caw

Reaction Score

1. Izzo is 57
  2. K is 65
  3. Calipari is 53
  4. Self is 49
  5. Boeheim is 67
  6. Pitino is 59
  7. Williams is 61
  8. Donovan is 47
  9. Ryan is 64
  10. Stevens is 35
  11. Montgomery is 65
  12. Smart is 35
  13. Dixon is 46
  14. Matta is 45
  15. Miller is 43
  16. Huggins is 58
  17. Crean is 46
  18. Beilein is 59
  19. Few is 49
  20. Williams is 39
  21. Brey is 53
  22. Howland is 55
  23. Painter is 41
  24. Stallings is 51
Only 5 of the coaches listed in the top 25 (Calhoun excluded) are within 10 years of Calhoun. Only 3 are within 5 years and only one is within 3 (Boeheim). None of the 5 coaches have had Calhoun's health issues (yet). Those are significant differences in age (especially when you factor in health). You also have to factor in that this year is almost a wasted year for Calhoun and the next year he will have a shot at a championship will be when he is 71.

Let's look at those 5 coaches:
  1. K is probably the only active coach whose past accomplishments are on par (if not exceed) Calhoun's accomplishments. He is 5 years younger. I like his chances to coach 5 more years more than I like Calhoun's chances to coach 3.
  2. Boeheim is a darn good coach and though his record doesn't match Calhoun's, he is 3 years younger and doesn't have a missed season coming up. Again I like the odds of him coaching to 72 more than I like Calhoun's coaching past 72. He may retire beforehand, but Calhoun may not make it more than a season (and a relatively wasted one at that).
  3. Williams is the youngest of the 60+ YO's and he has a juggernaut at UNC. I think Calhoun could coach circles around him, but he has 9 years to get 1 more title to match Calhoun.
  4. Ryan is only 65 and a very good coach. I think he is a bit high on this list when you factor in age, but not a lot. #9 is fair.
  5. Montgomery is very high on this list when you factor in age. I'm not sure how he is above Calhoun, let alone 11th. I think he is the worst ranking of them all.
If you factor in Calhoun's age and the NCAA issues of this coming season, it's really not outrageous to have Calhoun this low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom