Ice Brady's Freshman Year | The Boneyard

Ice Brady's Freshman Year

Reaction Score
This was an up and down year for one of UConn's up and coming posts. She's had lowlights where she looked so tentative that playing anyone else would be better and then highlights specifically in the Big East tournament where she looked like an upperclassman.

In the NCAA tournament, Ice Brady was the better version of herself. Her big three against USC, her low post move against Stuelke (which I think they should have kept going to to be honest) and her mid-range game that she turned on and hit when UConn looked lost on offense.

Brady was a freshman playing her first college ball and I expect her to take a huge sophomore jump. Despite a very, very rough start, she peaked in March and April and UConn has a gem on their hands. Combined with Strong, UConn can put out a 3pt line up of Paige, Azzi, Caroline/Shade, Strong and Brady (sub in Ziebell, Chelli, KK and others) and stretch the floor like the old Tuck and Stewart days. Really excited about the future.

Reaction Score
Solid take. I am hoping that Ice got her feet wet and like you said, started to get better as the season progressed. I hope that since the season ended and during breaks between classes, she spoke to people she feels close to, read her Bible, and listened to some motivational videos/books/seminars and found that confidence. She knows that she can play basketball especially at the college level. She has a great skill set. Great person. Very coachable. Now she just has to put it all together.

Reaction Score
Brady was a freshman playing her first college ball and I expect her to take a huge sophomore jump.
I do too. The only person to be great from day one I can think of is Ms. Buckets. Not even Diana was Diana from the start. The coldest I can think of in recent memory is Caroline. I also hope to see a sophomore jump from Ayanna. And Q. I have no doubt we’ll see a jump from KK and Ash.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Ice battled a case of butterfingers, but her biggest flaw early was committing fouls. A lot of them were silly reach in fouls. At times it also seemed like the refs had their eyes out for her when it came to pushing/shoving/leaning in the paint - I still can't explain what is and is not a foul - but it may also have been that she was often slightly out of position. And it is still a work in process, she committed a total of seven fouls the last two games.

But her most impressive stat of the season for me was only three fouls in 80 minutes of play in the Big East Semi-finals and Championship, when we could not afford to have her on the bench.

So she is solidly in the mix as a valuable rotation player for next season and beyond.

As far as three point shooters, don't forget Jana. From what little I have seen, I think she will be a big surprise to the upside as a three point shooter.

Of the thirteen coming back, at least eleven qualify as capable three point shooters. Aubrey makes twelve, and Ayanna doesn't make the list but will rebound a lot of the misses.

I wouldn't mind if with this roster UConn's offensive approach patterns the Celtics (who made 22 threes yesterday).

Reaction Score
I do too. The only person to be great from day one I can think of is Ms. Buckets. Not even Diana was Diana from the start. The coldest I can think of in recent memory is Caroline. I also hope to see a sophomore jump from Ayanna. And Q. I have no doubt we’ll see a jump from KK and Ash.
Let's not forget Ms. Maya Moore. She was the original IT girl as soon as she hit the floor.

Reaction Score
I often wonder why the post struggle in UConn's. It's quite apparent that Geno has little to no patience with the post position.
I have a feeling that the starting five will be all perimeter players, being that all of our post players have so little court time, which could result in up and down play from that position.

Now that Brady is two years removed from injury and has gotten a full year under her. I suspect her to return in better shape and better focus. Brady has a better face up game then she does a post up game. She needs to find a happy medium. Right hand should be a huge part of her summer workout.

Reaction Score
Ice battled a case of butterfingers, but her biggest flaw early was committing fouls. A lot of them were silly reach in fouls. At times it also seemed like the refs had their eyes out for her when it came to pushing/shoving/leaning in the paint - I still can't explain what is and is not a foul - but it may also have been that she was often slightly out of position. And it is still a work in process, she committed a total of seven fouls the last two games.

But her most impressive stat of the season for me was only three fouls in 80 minutes of play in the Big East Semi-finals and Championship, when we could not afford to have her on the bench.

So she is solidly in the mix as a valuable rotation player for next season and beyond.

As far as three point shooters, don't forget Jana. From what little I have seen, I think she will be a big surprise to the upside as a three point shooter.

Of the thirteen coming back, at least eleven qualify as capable three point shooters. Aubrey makes twelve, and Ayanna doesn't make the list but will rebound a lot of the misses.

I wouldn't mind if with this roster UConn's offensive approach patterns the Celtics (who made 22 threes yesterday).
As a NY Knicks Fan ( NY stand up !!!) there will be no talk of the Celtics or any other team from Boston in this forum,,, lol

Reaction Score

How we forget about Maya.

Reaction Score
I often wonder why the post struggle in UConn's. It's quite apparent that Geno has little to no patience with the post position.
I have a feeling that the starting five will be all perimeter players, being that all of our post players have so little court time, which could result in up and down play from that position.

Now that Brady is two years removed from injury and has gotten a full year under her. I suspect her to return in better shape and better focus. Brady has a better face up game then she does a post up game. She needs to find a happy medium. Right hand should be a huge part of her summer workout.

Geno has said numerous times that it is difficult to transition as a big from high school to college.

Reaction Score
It's also difficult to play in spurts.......the best way to become a consistent player is to be able to play consistently........the more time Ice gets on the floor without looking over to the bench every time the buzzer sounds the better she will play.......

Reaction Score

Most post players aren't going to be able to run the floor like a 3 or 4 and that is where I think the issue is for UConn. To me a post player is there to defend the basket and get rebounds and a few put backs. If they do that then they pick you up a few extra possessions in a game and a few easy buckets.

I would agree with Geno if it was 20 years ago but these girls are playing all over the globe now and the AAU circuit is amazing. Geno has no patience period and unfortunately sometimes you have to have growing pains regardless of what position the player plays. That is why when UConn is healthy you very seldom saw a Freshmen leading the team and playing big minutes.

As far as growth from one season to the next. I think players naturally take on more responsibility as they get older and the veterans move on. Brady has some skill and do also expect her to have a great offseason and be ready to really contribute next season.

Jim

Reaction Score
The issue is that bigs in high school can use their size to dominate smaller players. That doesn't work so well at the DI level as they are now going against more comparably sized opponents and the speed of the game is quicker, needing the bigs to be better conditioned and to run the floor better. Learning new moves and increasing stamina takes time. So bigs progress more slowing as they get up the learning curve. And it is not just Geno not having patience. Many of the top programs have to bring their bigs along slowly.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The issue is that bigs in high school can use their size to dominate smaller players. That doesn't work so well at the DI level as they are now going against more comparably sized opponents and the speed of the game is quicker, needing the bigs to be better conditioned and to run the floor better. Learning new moves and increasing stamina takes time. So bigs progress more slowing as they get up the learning curve. And it is not just Geno not having patience. Many of the top programs have to bring their bigs along slowly.
And, Geno expects that his bigs are willing to pass, be good passers, hedge on defense, read the defense, play in the post, be willing to develop a mid/outside game, set screens, etc, etc.

Jim

Reaction Score
And, Geno expects that his bigs are willing to pass, be good passers, hedge on defense, read the defense, play in the post, be willing to develop a mid/outside game, set screens, etc, etc.
It is not just bigs. Geno wants all of his players to be good passers and to play team defense. That is why freshmen rarely start (independent of whether they are a big or a guard) until they can demonstrate those attributes (during practices) to the coaching staff.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both Geno and CD have stated many times it takes a couple of years for a big to transition from high school ball to D1 ball - epescially the level UConn plays at. Tina struggled, Steph Dolson struggles and yes Stewie struggled.

Ica has one year of D1 ball under her belt. The progress this past season was there tho it might not be what many on this board wanted or expected.

The UConn system is not easy for any player coming in. Geno's standards of excellence are high. He's not going to change it. And he shouldn't. These young ladies come to UConn because of Geno, the stature of the program. They know he will push them beyond what they think they are capable of. His system is still a shock but youy do not see many leaving.

Reaction Score
IMO many overrate Bigs. IMO this has more to do with some fans that just prefer to want to watch low post basketball. UCONN has been to 15 of 16 final fours -- so if they haven't had a lot of Bigs - then what does that tell us about Bigs?

And as the poster Jim said regarding Bigs - they take time. So, when you say Geno doesn't have patience -- which players do you think he blew it with?

And 3rd, Geno has gotten many #1 recruits. After they commit we hear from many how they either grew up loving the program or they mention that they love the style UCONN plays at. UCONN plays fast - fastbreak hoop. Many of them are guards or small forwards,--- or Bigs that also want the opportunity to not just be stuck inside. That's why UCONN got Paige It's why they got Azzi. It's why they just Sarah. These players want to run.

If the sytle gets changed, say goodbye to what we have enjoyed these many years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if he only played the guards and the forwards.

Reaction Score

Seriously? Ever watch Kerry Bascom, Kara Wolters? The triplets, Cash, Jones, and Williams? Jess Moore? Tina Charles, Stef Dolson? Our rosters have had many great post players, and Geno would be the first to tell you we would have no where without Edwards this year. His problem was that he didn’t have the backup for her that he wanted until late.

Reaction Score
As I was watching replays over the weekend (as one does) it occurred to me that trying to defend against Geno's teams must be an odd experience. I mean, he runs the the same things other good coaches do -- screens, rotations, handoffs, back cuts, etc -- but they do it a lot, and seemingly to lure the defense into tiny mistakes. As a defender, you run over the screen one time, under the screen a few seconds later, or you cheat over by a step, or you follow a cutter one step too far, or not far enough. It must feel like UConn is probing, looking for some tiny error, some slight opening, for the first 25 seconds, and if they find it, boom 2 pts. It must be exhausting to guard against.

Until a new big learns all these nuances on offense and defense, Geno can't play the game he's designed. This is why it takes a while to get acclimated.

Reaction Score
This was an up and down year for one of UConn's up and coming posts. She's had lowlights where she looked so tentative that playing anyone else would be better and then highlights specifically in the Big East tournament where she looked like an upperclassman.

In the NCAA tournament, Ice Brady was the better version of herself. Her big three against USC, her low post move against Stuelke (which I think they should have kept going to to be honest) and her mid-range game that she turned on and hit when UConn looked lost on offense.

Brady was a freshman playing her first college ball and I expect her to take a huge sophomore jump. Despite a very, very rough start, she peaked in March and April and UConn has a gem on their hands. Combined with Strong, UConn can put out a 3pt line up of Paige, Azzi, Caroline/Shade, Strong and Brady (sub in Ziebell, Chelli, KK and others) and stretch the floor like the old Tuck and Stewart days. Really excited about the future.
And don't forget, folks, ICE was coming bak from a lengthy absence and serious surgery. That is not an easy transition. I think ICE had a fineyear. One in which she found herself in big games, and proved that she can be super.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Ever watch Kerry Bascom, Kara Wolters? The triplets, Cash, Jones, and Williams? Jess Moore? Tina Charles, Stef Dolson? Our rosters have had many great post players, and Geno would be the first to tell you we would have no where without Edwards this year. His problem was that he didn’t have the backup for her that he wanted until late.
Hey I love Geno, too. However That's all yesteryear talk. All those you mentioned were great post players. Now please Move to current resume and tell me what you got.
With that said my post was about Ice and the phenomenal season that is headed her way.

Reaction Score
As I was watching replays over the weekend (as one does) it occurred to me that trying to defend against Geno's teams must be an odd experience. I mean, he runs the the same things other good coaches do -- screens, rotations, handoffs, back cuts, etc -- but they do it a lot, and seemingly to lure the defense into tiny mistakes. As a defender, you run over the screen one time, under the screen a few seconds later, or you cheat over by a step, or you follow a cutter one step too far, or not far enough. It must feel like UConn is probing, looking for some tiny error, some slight opening, for the first 25 seconds, and if they find it, boom 2 pts. It must be exhausting to guard against.

Until a new big learns all these nuances on offense and defense, Geno can't play the game he's designed. This is why it takes a while to get acclimated.
Takes even longer when you don't get the minutes. That starts with instilling confidence thru trial and error on the court. It really does work. I've seen other programs do it.

Reaction Score
Takes even longer when you don't get the minutes. That starts with instilling confidence thru trial and error on the court. It really does work. I've seen other programs do it.
I agree. Still, Geno has more than one goal for his program. It's not only about winning championships. It's also about developing players physically and mentally, and building character. I know, this seems naive now. But one of the reasons athletic programs were introduced into higher education was precisely this. If winning championships accomplishes these other goals, fine. But I don't think Geno will compromise those goals to get a championship. This is one important reason why he's won so many.

Remember CD yelling at Stewie about body language.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom