I like to hear this | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I like to hear this

Reaction Score
My hope for Diggins was that he could be a true lead guard for 10-15 minutes a game to allow 1. Cole to rest or 2. Cole to play off ball more. Gaffney still struggles to initiate the offense versus legitimate competition. He’s just so dang timid.

My only other gripe right now is one I’ve felt for awhile now dating back to last season. I love Whaley. I love Sanogo. But when the two of them are on the floor together, especially when Jackson is too, it’s a disaster for us offensively at times. That combo doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon but I really hope we explore lineups with Martin (when healthy) at the 4 & Sanogo or Whaley at the 5 more frequently.
I feel as though this is the easiest most obvious fix on the planet. Dan has to be aware of it. He must just not like it

Reaction Score
Nothing AJ did out there screamed “positive” to me
That's one of the most head-scratching comments I've ever seen on this Board. Which is saying quite a bit. (Not yours, the one you were referring to).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on freshman playing time:

• Diggins was hurt a lot of the summer. That certainly has set his clock back.
  • Coach hangs his hat on defense and I'm personally glad he does. Playing well in the defensive system is not something you just show up with. Hawkins stays on the court because we need his raw offensive ability, but he's getting beat regularly on defense (nevermind the adventure of his ball security at the moment).
  • Many here want there to be a reactive change to the minutes allocation in game. I don't think that's how Hurley operates. You earn your court time in practice. By hitching game minutes to practice you ensure good, competitive habits in practice and that tide raises all boats.
  • If you don't make the young guys earn it like you did their predecessors, then you run the risk of losing your locker-room. There's a balance.
Hawkins does not get beat more than AJ nor Gaffney. At least he gives us something on the offensive end, which AJ clearly does not. Gaffney shows signs from time to time but is horribly inconsistent.

Reaction Score
There were some positives from last night. AJ is looking more comfortable out there, Gaffney played pretty well and Polley is grabbing some rebounds and getting a few easy buckets to go along with his 3s.

With Martin out, Jackson really hit the boards on the defensive end, made some nice passes and finished on the break a couple times. He is starting to do those things with more regularity. While it's clearly Cole's team, Jackson's contributions make UConn a tough team to beat, even on an off night.

Still hoping that Diggins gets some run to help out with ball handling and ball movement. Against better teams we are going to need more good looks for Hawkins and Polley.
Gaffney played well? He may have had the worst defensive game I have ever seen a UConn guard have and I go back to Toby Kimball. In my days as a coach he would be busy picking the splinters from his butt because he sure would not have been playing.

Reaction Score
Like Alex Moran from Blue Mountain State, who believes the best role on a college football team is backup QB? Interesting theory...
I mean who knows? Some people are fine with it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At some point we are going to have to play the freshmen.

The only reason to do that, aside from Hawkins, is to send a message to the upper classmen. Even Hawk has shown how vastly people here overrate his ability to contribute immediately. He has some glaring holes we didn't really recognize. We do need him to be better for March, so he's getting a shot with Marin out.

Hurley called this one correctly. They simply thought they could win easily by showing up and they played that way. He can't let that happen again. Whaley and Cole can't let that happen again. There has to be tone of players holding each other accountable.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No argument from me on the criticisms. He giveth and he taketh away, which is one of my biggest issues with him.

But I don't think his rebounds are a result of Martin being out, as he was routinely pulling down that many or more before Martin went out.

For everyone bitching about the freshman not playing, does anybody think that they will be more impactful than Jackson if we can get him past the mistakes? He feels so close to me, like he's just trying to do too much. Jackson making a leap by February is even more critical than Hawkins making a similar leap. Ideally they both will.

The idea (not from you) that Diggins is going to somehow give us more than junior Gaffney seems fanciful to me. Gaffney is never going to be a great ball handler, but he's actually been a decent distributor at times and he's a good shooter. I think he's adjusting from playing very slow half court ball for two years to our new faster pace now. His D remains a problem.

Reaction Score
The only reason to do that, aside from Hawkins, is to send a message to the upper classmen. Even Hawk has shown how vastly people here overrate his ability to contribute immediately. He has some glaring holes we didn't really recognize. We do need him to be better for March, so he's getting a shot with Marin out.

Hurley called this one correctly. They simply thought they could win easily by showing up and they played that way. He can't let that happen again. Whaley and Cole can't let that happen again. There has to be tone of players holding each other accountable.
There's a whole bunch of reasons to do that.

Reaction Score
For everyone bitching about the freshman not playing, does anybody think that they will be more impactful than Jackson if we can get him past the mistakes? He feels so close to me, like he's just trying to do too much. Jackson making a leap by February is even more critical than Hawkins making a similar leap. Ideally they both will.

The idea (not from you) that Diggins is going to somehow give us more than junior Gaffney seems fanciful to me. Gaffney is never going to be a great ball handler, but he's actually been a decent distributor at times and he's a good shooter. I think he's adjusting from playing very slow half court ball for two years to our new faster pace now. His D remains a problem.
I think Hawkins will, the other freshman no. Both Hawkins and Jackson feel like they're right on the verge of everything clicking, I think they're both just playing a notch too fast right now. The Martin injury might be a blessing in disguise in that they can work it out the next few weeks with increased minutes before Martin comes back and we have the ideal starting lineup

Reaction Score
Sounds like a backhanded way of blaming the players. By all means, play Diggins and Johnson!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There's a whole bunch of reasons to do that.

Not in close games. Yes, we would have seen them had this been a blowout. Or he could have put them in early to send a message. Saw Roy Williams sit his starters for close to 15 minutes for that purpose once.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I think Hawkins will, the other freshman no. Both Hawkins and Jackson feel like they're right on the verge of everything clicking, I think they're both just playing a notch too fast right now. The Martin injury might be a blessing in disguise in that they can work it out the next few weeks with increased minutes before Martin comes back and we have the ideal starting lineup
I have no idea what to expect from Diggins or Johnson and would have to defer to the coaching staff's decisions not to play them.

I am a bit more optimistic about Hawkins's upside and impact than I am about Jackson's, primarily because Jackson has had more time and because Hawkins's weaknesses seem--to me--to be more easily fixed with more playing time; and because imo we need Hawkins's scoring more than we need Jackson's rebounds. As @navery12 notes though, with Martin's injury they should both have plenty of minutes for at least the next few weeks, and with Martin out we definitely have a need for Jackson's rebounds. I agree that both appear to be playing too fast right now, but I get the sense that that is Jackson's default speed and that he doesn't have another mode. That's why I previously mentioned my concern about him calibrating his speed to be in sync with the rest of the team. He always seems to want to push it just a notch faster than his teammates are ready to handle--especially passes.

I don't know what to say about Gaff except that expecting further improvement from him seems fanciful to me at this point, so I struggle with the decision to give him so many minutes at the expense of Jackson and Hawkins, not to mention Diggins.

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone wants Samson and Diggins playing instead of Jackson. They want Samson and Diggins to get a chance to get minutes from Akok and Gaff who are giving us nothing at power forward and point guard against good teams. Gaff isn't a point guard and will never be a point guard, Diggins is a point guard. Cole isn't going to hold up being the guy who plays the whole game applying pressure D to the opposing point guard, running the team on offense, and being the guy who takes all the big shots...

Akok is just floating around doing nothing in his court time the past 4 games. The idea those freshmen shouldn't get any burn during games is strange to me and some posters saying they won't ever get a burn this season in games could lead to some negative implications.

Reaction Score
I mean who knows? Some people are fine with it.
This is totally speculative, but if Springs ever gets a few minutes a game, and does very well when he plays, maybe after graduation, he could play overseas with the proper connections and with a recommendation from the Coach.

The concept itself is not that far fetched IMO. A long time ago, Weaver in Hartford had a 12th man named Howie Greenblatt who almost never played. He graduated in 1967. Then, he went to play at Trinity and was the second highest scorer in their history.

I know we are not comparing apples to apples here, and certainly not a parallel from being a virtual non-player in high school to a Division III star.

Conceptually, I hope Springs gets his chance if minimally here, then later on a bigger stage maybe overseas, or maybe here if he gets to play and shine.

Maybe someone on the Yard went to Weaver during that time period.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone wants Samson and Diggins playing instead of Jackson. They want Samson and Diggins to get a chance to get minutes from Akok and Gaff who are giving us nothing at power forward and point guard against good teams. Gaff isn't a point guard and will never be a point guard, Diggins is a point guard. Cole isn't going to hold up being the guy who plays the whole game applying pressure D to the opposing point guard, running the team on offense, and being the guy who takes all the big shots...

Akok is just floating around doing nothing in his court time the past 4 games. The idea those freshmen shouldn't get any burn during games is strange to me and some posters saying they won't ever get a burn this season in games could lead to some negative implications.

Totally disagree on Akok who I think needs far more time. He's hustled and been effective. He was one of the few who played well yesterday. He needs to be more assertive, call for the ball and then he'll make more of an impact.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree on Akok who I think needs far more time. He's hustled and been effective. He was one of the few who played well yesterday. He needs to be more assertive, call for the ball and then he'll make more of an impact.

I think this might be you wanting this to be true more than it actually being true. Akok has been a complete non-factor. I really hope it's a matter of getting back in a groove post-Achilles and not a permanent step back, or the fact that he's just getting outplayed by guys who are better than he is. But there is no basis based on the product on the court to say he needs "far more time."

That's not to say he might not win a game for us at some point, but up until now he's been a donut.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think this might be you wanting this to be true more than it actually being true. Akok has been a complete non-factor. I really hope it's a matter of getting back in a groove post-Achilles and not a permanent step back, or the fact that he's just getting outplayed by guys who are better than he is. But there is no basis based on the product on the court to say he needs "far more time."

That's not to say he might not win a game for us at some point, but up until now he's been a donut.

He simply hasn’t played. His per 40 numbers are better than Whaley’s. He’s first in rebounds, second in blocks, among the lowest in turnovers. He’s shooting 50% from the field and .556 from 3. His box +/- is 8, third best on the team. His win share/40 is also 3rd highest.

He needs a lot more minutes. Especially with Sanogo and not as the 5. Yes, I want it to be true, but I also think it is true.

Reaction Score
My take away from this whole conversation is, screw it let’s throw the freshman in there. They couldn’t produce in minutes they played against horrible teams so obviously they will produce when we need to win. Screw it let’s just play diggins, Johnson and Hawkins with springs and say Matt Gary! Might as well just throw the season out at this point. Do you people literally have nothing better to do than complain about everything. Jesus, the last 6 years we probably lose the game last night. God we didn’t beat them by 30 let’s just get all up in a tizzy. Coach should do this, he should do that, why isn’t this person or that person playing, why are they throwing lazy passes, why didn’t they hit that three, why doesn’t Hurley learn an offense, why is this why is that. Be happy we are 7-1 and not 4-4. You people are so damn critical, you sound like the people on the Syracuse forum! Get a damn grip!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
My take away from this whole conversation is, screw it let’s throw the freshman in there. They couldn’t produce in minutes they played against horrible teams so obviously they will produce when we need to win. Screw it let’s just play diggins, Johnson and Hawkins with springs and say Matt Gary! Might as well just throw the season out at this point. Do you people literally have nothing better to do than complain about everything. Jesus, the last 6 years we probably lose the game last night. God we didn’t beat them by 30 let’s just get all up in a tizzy. Coach should do this, he should do that, why isn’t this person or that person playing, why are they throwing lazy passes, why didn’t they hit that three, why doesn’t Hurley learn an offense, why is this why is that. Be happy we are 7-1 and not 4-4. You people are so damn critical, you sound like the people on the Syracuse forum! Get a damn grip!
that's sum good mulch right thar.
i think that they want to bring back yakwe, or that vance jackson guy to play point center. iffn i was that dude who apparently walks around the gym with an incense burner, id be worried for my job, too. sounds like they're gunnin for him. id shudder to think what it would be like with a 6-2 record. and to think that i was told here that samson, jackson, akok, hawk, and , i guess, everyone else, was a lock 1st round draft choice. silly me for believing that.
anyway, we got a good team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love that Hurley took full responsibility for his team preparation. It will be interesting to see how they respond on Sat.

Just once I would have loved to see Randy Edsall step up and admit his ownership of the football Huskies. Night and day.

Reaction Score
I think we should just give up on this. Their freshman years are being wasted. They might as well red shirt
With the exception of Hawkins, it seems like Hurley doesn’t want to play the Freshmen vs. cupcakes (or any team) until we are up 20 and the game is in hand. It’s almost as if he thinks if the game is closer and we play them, we might lose. Better to incorporate them in with the tenured players if that’s how he feels. Just my observation and opinion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have no idea what to expect from Diggins or Johnson and would have to defer to the coaching staff's decisions not to play them.

I am a bit more optimistic about Hawkins's upside and impact than I am about Jackson's, primarily because Jackson has had more time and because Hawkins's weaknesses seem--to me--to be more easily fixed with more playing time; and because imo we need Hawkins's scoring more than we need Jackson's rebounds. As @navery12 notes though, with Martin's injury they should both have plenty of minutes for at least the next few weeks, and with Martin out we definitely have a need for Jackson's rebounds. I agree that both appear to be playing too fast right now, but I get the sense that that is Jackson's default speed and that he doesn't have another mode. That's why I previously mentioned my concern about him calibrating his speed to be in sync with the rest of the team. He always seems to want to push it just a notch faster than his teammates are ready to handle--especially passes.

I don't know what to say about Gaff except that expecting further improvement from him seems fanciful to me at this point, so I struggle with the decision to give him so many minutes at the expense of Jackson and Hawkins, not to mention Diggins.

Regarding AJ only having one gear, be patient. Took Taliek Brown until about halfway through his senior year to learn how to do it, but once he did it was a huge benefit.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Hawkins, it seems like Hurley doesn’t want to play the Freshmen vs. cupcakes (or any team) until we are up 20 and the game is in hand. It’s almost as if he thinks if the game is closer and we play them, we might lose. Better to incorporate them in with the tenured players if that’s how he feels. Just my observation and opinion.
Just to reiterate this, have you seen how those freshman have played against the cupcakes bench players? They weren’t dominating them, so what makes you think you put them in against better opponents and they will do well? Or screw it throw them in and if we lose we lose, that way everyone on here can be up in arms as to why he played the freshman who clearly aren’t ready.

Reaction Score
Just to reiterate this, have you seen how those freshman have played against the cupcakes bench players? They weren’t dominating them, so what makes you think you put them in against better opponents and they will do well? Or screw it throw them in and if we lose we lose, that way everyone on here can be up in arms as to why he played the freshman who clearly aren’t ready.
It’s a double edged sword. They need the experience. At some point you have to just let them play.

Reaction Score
You wouldn't just put all three in at the same time.

You put one in for a few minutes. If he does okay, you keep him in longer. If not, he's gained some in-game experience. You don't put anyone in if we're behind unless it's to teach the starters a lesson for a lackadaisical effort. You don't put them in near the end of a close game, or if the starters are excelling and on a run, and the game is close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom