I couldn’t find my last post about using clingan 5 Adama 4 | The Boneyard

I couldn’t find my last post about using clingan 5 Adama 4

Reaction Score
For a few minutes each half.
But I hope that we reconsider
We’ve been getting beat inside.
It’s ok to change things up and let Adama play the mobile 4. It’s to hard to try and force feed him. Forcing the other team to move out with Adama would really open up the inside for clingan.
Also clingan is the only true rim protection we have. Adama is prob 6-7
The good part is we have a great team
Some focus on additional rim protection downhill and post scoring is warranted after watching the last 3.

Reaction Score
Forcing the other team to move out with Adama would really open up the inside for clingan.

Here is the flaw in your analysis. The other team isn't going to move out with Adama and the middle will be completely clogged for Clingan or anyone who wants to drive the ball. Adama isn't enough of a threat as a shooter to warrant someone within 10 feet of him on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
If we didn't see it against Xavier and Georgetown with Samson Johnson out and Alex Karaban getting abused on the defensive end then it's hard to ever expect to see it

Reaction Score
Here is the flaw in your analysis. The other team isn't going to move out with Adama and the middle will be completely clogged for Clingan or anyone who wants to drive the ball. Adama isn't enough of a threat as a shooter to warrant someone within 10 feet of him on the perimeter.
If you aren't going to play them together in that game then take Sanogo and Karaban off the floor. Karaban and Sanogo were getting absolutely abused defensively.

Reaction Score
Adama is having trouble getting the ball inside even with 4 out. To me you play your best players and work it out. Clingan is one of our best players as is Sanogo. Sanogo isnt going to win nba points being surrounded inside all year without continuing to show in/out skill. Im not asking to start and run this team like this for 25 min--im talking 3 min per half. Lets get Clingan minutes up to 15-20

Reaction Score
For a few minutes each half.
But I hope that we reconsider
We’ve been getting beat inside.
It’s ok to change things up and let Adama play the mobile 4. It’s to hard to try and force feed him. Forcing the other team to move out with Adama would really open up the inside for clingan.
Also clingan is the only true rim protection we have. Adama is prob 6-7
The good part is we have a great team
Some focus on additional rim protection downhill and post scoring is warranted after watching the last 3.
I don’t think it will work. Adama needs space to operate. As Does Clingan. You ruin any post offense you get with that pairing.

It also makes it easier to cover Hawkins.

I just hate how limited we are offensively with it .

Reaction Score
Defensively (including rebounding), I could see advantage to playing both, although you take some risk of both picking up fouls. But unless and until Adama shows any inkling or ability to pass out once he's started to make his move or when double teamed, how would it help offensively?

Yes, Adama should have an advantage posting up against most 4's, but Clingan at the 5 would have to clear out of the paint to give him room to work and would not be in position to rebound a potential miss. And worse, what's to stop Clingan's defender from doubling on Adama since he's unlikely or unable to pass out to a free Clingan (or other player) moving to the basket?

If Adama was a good passer, they could be a deadly combo, but otherwise I don't see how they complement each other on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
That is the ballsy move.

Clingan over Sanogo for defensive reasons.

Also. Maybe play drop coverage and not have Sanogo with a high hedge? UConn had no run protection and Karaban was awful defensively .
Karaban just can't deal with good offensive players down low and Sanogo's defense seems to have regressed lately. Sanogo in no mans land too often with the hedge. Both of them sliding over too late to help or weren't helping at all and we have zero rim protection with both of them on the floor which makes it so painful we have a 7'2 monster catching splinters.

Reaction Score
this is not some knee jerk reaction after tough road loss against a very good Xavier team on a hot streak:

I’d love DH to make some adjustments on the line-up:

Play DC at 5 for starter minutes simply because he is just too good to play behind AS. He play both ends better than AS, provides rim protection, rebounding and lob threat, this is +

Equally importantly move AS to 4, with his skills around basketball and newly developed 3 point shot, this is +

move AK to spell Ajax at 3, so he won’t be abused and outmuscled at 4, but with AJax /AK combo, this makes our 3 position the best in the country.

Samson, RS are backing up at 4/5.

Reaction Score
Yeah, because what Hurley’s done so far this year is just “subpar”.
If anyone thought this year we’d be undefeated champs, you’re dreaming.
We’ve got a national title contender. They are few and far in between. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Reaction Score
This is still a team that can compete for a championship, but it's tough to watch a game where there were questioable moves and non-moves made. It's one thing when you are hit by a storm, but when the captain goes full throttle into rocky water, it makes you think twice.

I still love Hurley, but he has to do better. The 'T' is inexcusable and the non-use of Clingan and Diarra was perplexing with Newton sruggling and Sanogo looking completely lost on the defensive end. Hurley needs to learn the difference between loyalty and olbigation. If a player is struggling, his loyalty to the team has to come first, and not individuals. Maybe it was a gut call on his part, but if so, it was wrong.

Reaction Score
this is not some knee jerk reaction after tough road loss against a very good Xavier team on a hot streak:

I’d love DH to make some adjustments on the line-up:

Play DC at 5 for starter minutes simply because he is just too good to play behind AS. He play both ends better than AS, provides rim protection, rebounding and lob threat, this is +

Equally importantly move AS to 4, with his skills around basketball and newly developed 3 point shot, this is +

move AK to spell Ajax at 3, so he won’t be abused and outmuscled at 4, but with AJax /AK combo, this makes our 3 position the best in the country.

Samson, RS are backing up at 4/5.
Not a knee jerk reaction but also ignores that there have been 4 threads on this topic!

Reaction Score
To me it’s simple
Clingan and Adama are both top 5 players on this team. I think in basketball u want to get your best players on the floor as much as u can. I don’t worry about how I match up w the other team. Rather let them match up w us. Also Newton Hawkins and Jackson all have to make a stronger habit of going to the rack. We’re settling for to many 3s not drawing fouls and getting beat in the paint

Reaction Score
While Adama hasn't shot a ton of 3s he is almost 40% from behind the arc. He has show he can hit a 3 when open. It takes him a minute to get it off though. And I know a midrange shot is not that efficient but Sanogo need to develop that shot when left open rather than trying to drive past his man and the help defense.

Reaction Score
I know Hurley prefers individual defensive responsibility, but we need to have some help defense when the ball goes inside. There were too many times when Sanogo, Andre, and to a lesser extent, Clingan, were just spectators to opposing layups. This game provided a lot of feedback for improvement.

Reaction Score
Hurley was pissed about the team getting beat off the dribble. I worry that would have been exacerbated going big like that.
7’2 would discourage such behavior. Calhoun used to have his guards funnel their man to the big as long as we had a shot blocker down low which we did. Adama not a blocker Clingan is.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it will work. Adama needs space to operate. As Does Clingan. You ruin any post offense you get with that pairing.

It also makes it easier to cover Hawkins.

I just hate how limited we are offensively with it .

Terrible take. Xavier used 2 of Nunge, Freemantle and Hunter, out played our post lineups on both offense and defense.

Stop with weak hypotheticals already.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If I were to give DH the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that he was doing something Geno-like and seeing how the team would respond to adversity - specifically who would be the on-court leader to close out a tough win. But doing so would be recognizing that those last 3 minutes were an abject failure across the board - both coach and players - and only left more questions than answers.

Reaction Score
Karaban just can't deal with good offensive players down low and Sanogo's defense seems to have regressed lately. Sanogo in no mans land too often with the hedge. Both of them sliding over too late to help or weren't helping at all and we have zero rim protection with both of them on the floor which makes it so painful we have a 7'2 monster catching splinters.
I agree that Karaban has really struggled against bigger, more talented players. I’m enamored with his work ethic and always cheer for him, but he was bad for most of the game yesterday. I still think he’ll get better. He’s a freshman who needs to hit the weight room. Sanogo should be better. He’s a seasoned player whose effort yesterday was terrible. 33 minutes for AS and only 7 for Clingan is ridiculous, especially when Fremantle and Nunge are having that much success. We’ve got to find more minutes for Clingan.

X shot over 60% from 2 yesterday. That’s inexcusable. Just a horrific all-around effort by our guys defensively. Our switches and defensive rotations were slow and ineffective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom