I can't help myself (Tenn, merged thread) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

I can't help myself (Tenn, merged thread)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure Oregon State would gladly welcome Evina Westbrook back home, 40 minutes from where Evina went to High School!
Evina wants to be a pg. Rueck would have to sort out a potential problem with Westbrook and Slocum on the same roster.

Reaction Score
If Evina has to sit out a year, with 2 years of eligibility, Pivec and Tudor will be gone. Destiny & Aleah Goodman will both play point and off-guard. Evina would not play the point, but could...can't have enough back up point guards. First thing Rueck would teach Evina, is how to play 1-on-1 defense, and team defense. Evina is an undeniable talent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Holly is released, Horston won’t come to UConn. She and her mom were not happy with how UConn fans responded to Jordan committing to Tennessee
Well if you're looking for a steak dinner and you're offered a filet mignon made by a famous NY Chef vs a chopped steak from Golden Corral.....and you choose the Corral...what do you expect people to think/say??? :rolleyes:

Also not sure if taking into account internet people's opinions when making major life decisions is a good idea. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Disagree. The coaching staff is way more selective than that. They also recruit character and commitment.

Disagree. Idc what team a player plays for. If they can improve and help the team, Geno will take them

Much has been made about the current crop of TN players and if Geno would even consider ANY of the current TN players. IMO the failures of TN have been structural, specifically the inability of the TN staff to provide a challenging environment were ANY player can develop and maximize their potential. Lack of structure at TN does not mean lack of hard working players e.g. Mimi Collins.

In the face of all this, one of the freshmen acted more like a senior. First-year player Mimi Collins arranged for male practice players to help her work extra on her defense during the season. She tended to her other skills in a similar fashion. “I just got in the gym and worked hard,” she said. “My thing was coming in and working hard and doing what needed to be done.”

Dan Fleser: Holly Warlick Wants To Keep Coaching, But Her Future At UT Is Uncertain

Mimi Collins is a max effort player, there may be others.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Much has been made about the current crop of TN players and if Geno would even consider ANY of the current TN players. IMO the failures of TN have been structural, specifically the inability of the TN staff to provide a challenging environment were ANY player can develop and maximize their potential. Lack of structure at TN does not mean lack of hard working players e.g. Mimi Collins.

In the face of all this, one of the freshmen acted more like a senior. First-year player Mimi Collins arranged for male practice players to help her work extra on her defense during the season. She tended to her other skills in a similar fashion. “I just got in the gym and worked hard,” she said. “My thing was coming in and working hard and doing what needed to be done.”

Dan Fleser: Holly Warlick Wants To Keep Coaching, But Her Future At UT Is Uncertain

Mimi Collins is a max effort player, there may be others.

Good pedigree (dad played overseas). If memory is correct, she played at Paul VI in northern Va.. I imagine her practices with (now) ND's Mikayla Vaughn helped both players.
I liked what I saw of her in the Tennessee games I've watched. Persistent, works hard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Evina wants to be a pg. Rueck would have to sort out a potential problem with Westbrook and Slocum on the same roster.

As an outsider looking in, it appears to me that Slocum is Rueck's pg of choice as long as she’s eligible to play. Westbrook has to get in where she fits in. That may or may not be at Oregon State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Evina has to sit out a year, with 2 years of eligibility, Pivec and Tudor will be gone. Destiny & Aleah Goodman will both play point and off-guard. Evina would not play the point, but could...can't have enough back up point guards. First thing Rueck would teach Evina, is how to play 1-on-1 defense, and team defense. Evina is an undeniable talent.
I would love to see Evina at Oregon State coached up by a coach like Scott Rueck. I think she would do much better off the ball, but if she isn’t interested in playing off the ball Oregon State is probably not the best potential landing spot with Slocum and Goodman. She has so much talent, but it isn’t going anywhere.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Evina at Oregon State coached up by a coach like Scott Rueck. I think she would do much better off the ball, but if she isn’t interested in playing off the ball Oregon State is probably not the best potential landing spot with Slocum and Goodman. She has so much talent, but it isn’t going anywhere.
It turns out that both Slocum and Aleah Goodman play point, and 2-guard frequently. I wouldn't envision Evina in a competition for the point guard position in OSU's offense. First and foremost at OSU, you play defense or you sit. On Offense, Evina could play both point and 2-guard.

Reaction Score
Regarding the talent of Tenn recruits, I'm prompted to rework an old joke used for pyschiatrists
Q: how many Lady Vols head coaches does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Just one but the light bulb really has to want to change

I think there's a sad and interesting dynamic at Tennessee. The upper limit under the traditional LV/Pat Summitt schemes may not be competitive at the highest levels anymore, but the floor should be higher than what we're seeing. Getting the LVs to reach their potential within the system they have is on the coaches, but the coaches can't do that unless the players buy into what the coaches tell them to do - even if what they are being told isn't what Geno or Tara or Muffett or Dawn would tell them to do. In today's world, many of the kids have friends, family, and others telling them that it's the coaches fault. That undermines a HC's authority and if the fan base is piling on, I see a toxic feedback loop.

Reaction Score
It turns out that both Slocum and Aleah Goodman play point, and 2-guard frequently. I wouldn't envision Evina in a competition for the point guard position in OSU's offense. First and foremost at OSU, you play defense or you sit. On Offense, Evina could play both point and 2-guard.
Those 3, add in Taya Corosdale and whatever Rueck works out at the 5 and you have an NC contender.

Reaction Score
Those 3, add in Taya Corosdale and whatever Rueck works out at the 5 and you have an NC contender.
Agreed, even without Evina, assuming we have Kat Tudor back next year, OSU will have a plethora of "5" candidates next year: Andrea Aquino, Patricia Morris, and, our two new recruits, 6'6" Kennedy Brown, and 6'3" Taylor Jones. Future is bright at OSU.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tweet from Insider Exposure

Per WNML radio in Knoxville the administration will be making a decision tomorrow on the leadership of UT WBB. Hearing strong rumors that 2 of the starters maybe on the move based on that decision.

If the Rumor is accurate, I would think that means Holly is not getting fired.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is possible that Westbrook's public comment to the media may have pushed TN to keep HW? After all, how would it look to fire the HC based on a complaint from one of the players that didn't involve unacceptable personal behavior of some kind? What happens if the players don't like the new coach, who's bound to be tougher on them then HW?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tweet from Insider Exposure

Per WNML radio in Knoxville the administration will be making a decision tomorrow on the leadership of UT WBB. Hearing strong rumors that 2 of the starters maybe on the move based on that decision.

If the Rumor is accurate, I would think that means Holly is not getting fired.

If Holly stays, Westbrook has to go. She probably needs to go either way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
These comments by Westbrook do not sit well with me. I don’t care how bad the coach is. She is the coach YOU picked. It's not even like Pat recruited her and then she got "stuck" with a replacement. Evina CHOSE to play for Holly. You realize now you made a mistake? Great, you can transfer. Totally unacceptable to make these kinds of comments to the media, IMO.

I have to ask you @Plebe what loyalty Holly Warlick has shown to the kids who came to play for her. It's a rhetoric question of course, because she has thrown them under the bus every time they lost this year. Where is it written that you have to take public abuse from your coach again and again and stand mute? Of course, if you speak up you mark yourself and might as well vote with your feet too, and many expect the player will do that.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If Holly remains HC, it would be in the best interest of many of those ladies on Tennessees roster to transfer to a program with proper coaching and guidance.
If Holly remains HC, it would be in the best interest of many of those ladies on Tennessees roster to transfer to a program with proper coaching and guidance.

Seriously. What a freaking joke if she's kept on board. I hope each of Westbrook, Davis, Collins, and Green transfer if Holly opts to stay. It's for their own good.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Glad to see Rebecca agrees with me:
Rebecca Lobo finds Lady Vols player's comments on Holly Warlick to be out of bounds
Lobo weighed in Sunday, saying she was “a little bit surprised that (Westbrook) brought the coaching staff into it.”​
“Evina Westbrook is only a sophomore, but I was taken aback at her statement introducing the prospect of the coaches,” said Lobo, an Olympic gold medalist who played at Connecticut and in the WNBA, “because she’s been wearing that Tennessee uniform for two years. Holly Warlick has given 38 years of her life to that program. I thought she deserved a little bit more.”​

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My favorite Volnation post from yesterday ;)

Trey wallace said Holly may be announced

Unrealistic to go after Walz, Geno, Muffet, Tara, or Dawn. So ... Brenda Frese!
Posts like this one are all over VolNation. They illustrate that many LV fans are still in denial when discussing their team, believing that the TN job is still the pinnacle of WBB, and that coaches like Dawn, Vic, Jeff, Brenda, etc. would actually consider leaving their current situation to come to Knoxville.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Westbrook said in an interview that something needs to change off the court - with the staff. That's some pretty serious stuff coming from a player. My guess is that Warlick is gone or she is gone.
I'll tell you what, the next coach will have their hands full if players think they can get coaches fired.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Posts like this one are all over VolNation. They illustrate that many LV fans are still in denial when discussing their team, believing that the TN job is still the pinnacle of WBB, and that coaches like Dawn, Vic, Jeff, Brenda, etc. would actually consider leaving their current situation to come to Knoxville.
Tennessee is paying so many former football and MBB coaches, they may not be able to afford a top WBB coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom