I’ll go there | The Boneyard

I’ll go there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It took me a while to come around to the fact that this team is better than last year, but I got there - probably sometime in February. I can’t imagine many people disagree at this point. I’ll go a step further now. I know it’s blasphemy around here to say any team is better than 2004, but IF we win it this year, I’m on board with this being our best team ever.

So, who’s with me?

Reaction Score
It took me a while to come around to the fact that this team is better than last year, but I got there - probably sometime in February. I can’t imagine many people disagree at this point. I’ll go a step further now. I know it’s blasphemy around here to say any team is better than 2004, but IF we win it this year, I’m on board with this being our best team ever.

So, who’s with me?
We're eight wins away from comparing this year's team to '99 or '04. But, if the season ends undefeated from here, that certainly becomes a discussion that we can and will have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

So, who’s with me?
Not ready for this conversation yet. Let's see this team win at all then we can have this conversation

Reaction Score
We have to beat St Johns at MSG tomorrow. That should be top of the teams mind. But I'll admit that the staff has been pretty good at the prep work.
I'll be stressed.

Reaction Score

So, who’s with me?
We need the best versions of everyone to go there. Some of today’s first half was pretty ugly.

Reaction Score
Tough call. As a whole I feel the talent level in college basketball was much higher in 2004. We had six future 1st rounders on that team including four lottery picks and the #2 and #3 overall picks.

The current team is such a machine and has a cohesiveness unlike anything we've ever seen at UConn. Still, this team still has to win it all for this to be a conversation.

Reaction Score
So much more than talent and coaching goes into winning a natty. Things have to break your way. Unless of course, you win every game by 15+ points or whatever, like we did last year.

Houston, Arizona, Purdue, Kansas and the current version of UNC can all give us trouble. I really don’t like all the leg jumping the media is doing on us this season. I’d much prefer that we be less of a favorite.

Reaction Score
So much more than talent and coaching goes into winning a natty. Things have to break your way. Unless of course, you win every game by 15+ points or whatever, like we did last year.

Houston, Arizona, Purdue, Kansas and the current version of UNC can all give us trouble. I really don’t like all the leg jumping the media is doing on us this season. I’d much prefer that we be less of a favorite.
As Hurley would say to the team about the media adulation; don't drink the poison.

Reaction Score
This, as I have said on another thread:
But seriously, our conditioning, our athleticism, our BB IQ, our junk yard dog mentality, our offensive unselfishness, our team defense, our coaching staff being on point and making all the right adjustments. What is our weakness that could be exploited?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It shouldn’t be insulting to say you’d take last years team, which is where I’m at still. But I do think this is the best team this year.

Reaction Score
This team, so far, is the most dominant we've had.

Yes, 1999 lost only 2 games and we've lost 3. I don't recall that team being able to take opponents to the woodshed like this on a regular basis.

2004 lost 6 games.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
At this point all you can discuss is trajectory, but that's kind of like talking about a no-hitter in progress. The 99 team crowned it's run by beating Eldon Brand... I suppose Zach Edey compares.

Reaction Score
The 1999 team did have a tendency to let teams hang around. They weren’t terribly explosive offensively - Voskuhl and Moore werent scorers. And Freeman was a lunch pail guy who got some points but the offense didn’t run through him.

What that team did have was clamps on d in crunch time. They locked it down. The only game they lost that season (to Miami) came when we were down 9 and completely shut them down to tie it, then forced an airball late in the shot clock. The airball found Tim James who laid it in, KEA slipped at the other end and we lost by 2.

Although Miami also had a wide open three at the buzzer to beat us at home and Salmons missed. We botched our inbounds defense and left him wide open.

I think we were 10-0 that season when trailing at the half. Which is good - but we did face a lot of second half deficits.

Reaction Score

So, who’s with me?
we have a bigger single weakness in clingan foul trouble.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Tough call. As a whole I feel the talent level in college basketball was much higher in 2004. We had six future 1st rounders on that team including four lottery picks and the #2 and #3 overall picks.

The current team is such a machine and has a cohesiveness unlike anything we've ever seen at UConn. Still, this team still has to win it all for this to be a conversation.
One thing that stands out to me...

The cohesiveness we see among the starters extends to the bench. Johnson comes in seamlessly. Diarra may as well be a starter. Stewart plays extremely well within the system...

All the way down to the third string.

All play with focus. All play unselfishly. All are bought into the system.

We definitely present a tough out1

Reaction Score
The 1999 team did have a tendency to let teams hang around. They weren’t terribly explosive offensively - Voskuhl and Moore werent scorers. And Freeman was a lunch pail guy who got some points but the offense didn’t run through him.

What that team did have was clamps on d in crunch time. They locked it down. The only game they lost that season (to Miami) came when we were down 9 and completely shut them down to tie it, then forced an airball late in the shot clock. The airball found Tim James who laid it in, KEA slipped at the other end and we lost by 2.

Although Miami also had a wide open three at the buzzer to beat us at home and Salmons missed. We botched our inbounds defense and left him wide open.

I think we were 10-0 that season when trailing at the half. Which is good - but we did face a lot of second half deficits.

Great point. Freeman created zero on offense. Also Souley and Saunders provided little punch off the bench. Mouring was streaky. Maaaaybe Rash Jones in spots. But that offense was Rip, El Amin and patchwork the rest.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was a kind of a big deal as Ron Burgundy would say. I don’t know who is better, love this team, we’ll find out soon, but we are not invincible. Let’s stay humble.

Reaction Score

And that 1999 team was undefeated away from home, too.

Reaction Score

Marcus Williams wasn't on that team second semester. Three of the five starters were NBA players. We may have the same amount of NBA players on this team and they may even have a bigger impact in the NBA than those guys did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom