Hypothetical: If the P5 broke away from the NCAA...... | The Boneyard

Hypothetical: If the P5 broke away from the NCAA......

Reaction Score
Could you make the argument that UConn has a better chance of being included as a football independent/NBE hoops member? If the college football playoff is set at 4 teams, the P5 will do just fine eliminating all of the G5, Boise, BYU, and all of the AAC inlcuded. To preserve any semblance of the NCAA tourney, the P5 would need more teams. Thus, I would believe that they include the NBE for hoops, UConn included. Oh the irony. Imagine if one step back leads to a gigantic step forward............

Reaction Score
I think everyone that during the selection show for the NCAA Tournament, CBS had a P6 and the Big East was in it. The AAC however was not.

I can not wait for Nov 2020 to have the proper conference logo back on the jerseys. The only sad part is we have to deal with one more season on the island of misfit toys and crappy safety schools.

Reaction Score
Could you make the argument that UConn has a better chance of being included as a football independent/NBE hoops member? If the college football playoff is set at 4 teams, the P5 will do just fine eliminating all of the G5, Boise, BYU, and all of the AAC inlcuded. To preserve any semblance of the NCAA tourney, the P5 would need more teams. Thus, I would believe that they include the NBE for hoops, UConn included. Oh the irony. Imagine if one step back leads to a gigantic step forward..

Don't worry the Big East will always be included in every major basketball tournament. There will be no P5 breakaway without the Big East.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Could you make the argument that UConn has a better chance of being included as a football independent/NBE hoops member? If the college football playoff is set at 4 teams, the P5 will do just fine eliminating all of the G5, Boise, BYU, and all of the AAC inlcuded. To preserve any semblance of the NCAA tourney, the P5 would need more teams. Thus, I would believe that they include the NBE for hoops, UConn included. Oh the irony. Imagine if one step back leads to a gigantic step forward..

This is a fantasy.

There's no chance that we're better off in the Big East if there's ever a split.

Reaction Score
And make no mistake, it's a step back.

12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret Joining the New Big East

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is a fantasy.

There's no chance that we're better off in the Big East if there's ever a split.

Your position is that the American would be invited over the Big East if a split between the major conferences occurred and they started their own basketball tournament?

Reaction Score
Sure, IF the P5 were to break away I can certainly see the Big East and UConn going with them for basketball. But an independent Connecticut team being invited to compete at the highest level in football? No way in hell.

Of course, I don't believe there will be a formal break between the P5 and other NCAA BCS schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is a fantasy.

Fox and ESPN would decide who is included and who is not. The Big East would be included.

Edit: Let me rephrase. The Big East would probably be included. The AAC would have no chance. I don't think the P5 will split off because they have a serious anti-trust problem as it is that would get a lot worse if they split.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
If the P5 broke off they would invite every viable name brand to join them. It wouldn’t be conference specific at that point.

Right. So this is why UConn saving their basketball brand is important.

In the AAC that brand was being washed away. We can't sell how "history" and "brand" when we aren't winning Big East titles and selling our "6th Borough" NY Market to the recruits.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
This is a fantasy.

Depends on who’s left in the AAC and whether we’d be left behind with them.

Reaction Score
Depends on who’s left in the AAC and whether we’d be left behind with them.
If we stayed in the AAC and our track record in football and basketball the next three years were identical to the last three, being left out would have been a very real possibility. The fantasy in all of this is believing football was going to turn it around to the point of just being competitive. Playing in the AAC was like having an anchor around our necks and each year were sinking lower into the abyss. Fortunately, this administration chose not to wait until the point of no return.

Reaction Score
If the P5 broke away why does everyone think they would all band together? Why would the powerhouses like Michigan and Alabama want to include a school like Wake Forest with them? I think at that point they would be picking and choosing the select schools that they want to join their new “league”. I’d imagine we would get an invite based solely on the fact that our basketball program provides great value

Reaction Score
If the P5 broke away from the NCAA, I would think they would include some conferences that play FBS football with them. Probably the AAC, BYU, Army, maybe MWC, possibly one other conference. Gets you to maybe 80 to 90 teams. This would include almost all the teams that are in the top 25 in football and the vast majority of the top 25 in basketball.

In my opinion, if a break with the NCAA comes it will be driven by football and the focus will be on football schools as football drives the bus. If the break happens, they will have to start their own basketball tournament. Why? The dirty little secret is that the basketball tournament funds the non-revenue sport tournaments and provides other revenues to schools and administration.

Bottom line is that a break with the NCAA happens, I think UConn needs to be playing FBS football to be included. I don’t think the P5 will care about basketball only schools.

Reaction Score
Honest to goodness, I could care less. That's going to play out how it will. I'm not even sure if football split off if hoops would follow. And if hoops followed, a lot of the value of big upsets, etc in the tournament would be gone.

Reaction Score
Your position is that the American would be invited over the Big East if a split between the major conferences occurred and they started their own basketball tournament?

The only thing he's right about is streaming being the future. If UConn's break really was about them not being on cable TV anymore so 93 year old UConn women fans might not watch Geno and the girls, well then that was a pretty stupid reason.

Reaction Score
If the P5 broke away from the NCAA, I would think they would include some conferences that play FBS football with them. Probably the AAC, BYU, Army, maybe MWC, possibly one other conference. Gets you to maybe 80 to 90 teams. This would include almost all the teams that are in the top 25 in football and the vast majority of the top 25 in basketball.

In my opinion, if a break with the NCAA comes it will be driven by football and the focus will be on football schools as football drives the bus. If the break happens, they will have to start their own basketball tournament. Why? The dirty little secret is that the basketball tournament funds the non-revenue sport tournaments and provides other revenues to schools and administration.

Bottom line is that a break with the NCAA happens, I think UConn needs to be playing FBS football to be included. I don’t think the P5 will care about basketball only schools.

The NCAA tournament is worth almost nothing in TV dollars without the 12-16 seeds there for upsets. If the football schools want to break away like that, they can kiss the tournament money goodbye.

Reaction Score
That was quite honestly one of the dumbest things ever written.
The insistence that the AAC is a better basketball conference than the NBE is just bizarre. And the guy got basic facts wrong, like, say, how many teams from each conference made the NCAAs three months ago.

Reaction Score
The insistence that the AAC is a better basketball conference than the NBE is just bizarre. And the guy got basic facts wrong, like, say, how many teams from each conference made the NCAAs three months ago.

Looks like it was actually 4 teams apiece.

Reaction Score
Agreed but can we please stop calling it the New Big East? I always called it the Big East as does everyone else I've come across other than this board. Now that we are back in the Big East let's all call it by it's name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom