Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Here's the bracket. If you stop by the thread please vote!

2nrohls.jpg

1st Matchup: @jfuchs91 vs. @UConnSwag11

JFUCHS:
G: Ben Gordon
G: Ray Allen
F: Scotty Burrell
F: Chuck Villanueva
C: Amida Brimah

UCONNSWAG:
G: AJ Price
G: Rip Hamilton
F: Deandre Daniels
F: Clifford Robinson
C: Jake Voskuhl

2nd Matchup: @Minicoop69 vs. @tcf15

MINICOOP:
G: Kevin Ollie
G: Ray Allen
G: Ricky Moore
F: Clifford Robinson
C: Andre Drummond

TCF:
G: Khaled El-Amin
G: Ben Gordon
F: Niels Giffey
F: Donny Marshall
F: Charlie Villanueva

Reaction Score
jfuchs91's Starting Lineup
Name (Height - UConn career season highs)

Ben Gordon (6’3” - 19.5 PPG, 4.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 1.4 SPG 43% 3PT)

Ray Allen (6’5” - 23.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 6.8 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 47% 3PT)

Scott Burrell (6’7” - 16.3 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 3.1 APG, 3.6 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 40% 3PT)

Charlie Villanueva (6’11” - 13.6 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 1.3 APG 39% career 3PT)

Amida Brimah (7’ - 9.1 PPG, 3.5 BPG, 67.4% FG, highest single season and career FG% in UConn history)

As the game of basketball has evolved, two factors have become increasingly important to winning games: spacing the floor on offense and protecting the rim on defense. My team possesses some of the best shooters in UConn history (and Ray Allen, the best shooter in basketball history) and elite rim protection. This lineup is full of versatile athletes, and has NBA size (and all players played at least 8 NBA seasons - including three top-7 picks, showing they were truly elite basketball players - Brimah excluded, but the NBA is in his future as well).

OFFENSE
As UConn fans, we understand the importance of guard play in college ball, and no other team can match my tandem of guards. Gordon and Allen are two of the most explosive scorers to ever don a UConn jersey. While neither is a true "lead" guard, both Gordon and Allen can handle playmaking duties as combo guards. Gordon averaged over 4 APG in his UConn career, and Allen was so much more than a shooter in his younger days. Both guys were very good slashers and could make plays off the bounce. Additionally, both Gordon and Allen are end-of-shotclock guys, where they can bail you out by creating their own shot. My backcourt has two of the best scorers (and overall players) in UConn history, and they set the table for the rest of the team.

What sets my offense apart from others is the unbelievable shooters and spacing. I have four legitimate 3-point threats, including some of the best ever at UConn. Ray Allen is arguably the best shooter in basketball history, Ben Gordon shot 42% from three on 5.5 attempts per game in his career, Villanueva at the PF spot shot 39% in his career at UConn and is one of the most prolific big man shooters in the NBA right now, and Scotty Burrell shot 36% at UConn, 37% from 3 in 8 seasons in the NBA, and even participated in an NBA 3-Point contest. My team is loaded with lethal shooters at four positions. Look at what Golden State was able to do in the NBA with their plethora of knockdown shooters. My team mimics that spacing, and has some of the best shot-makers in UConn history (Gordon and Allen are my Husky Splash Bros). And while Brimah won’t be relied upon to create his own offense, his 66.2% FG% is the highest in UConn history. With all the spacing on the offensive end, Brimah can easily finish lobs and dunk dump-off passes. This team will be an efficient machine on the offensive end.

DEEFNSE
All UConn championship teams excel on the defensive end, and my team is a strong defensive unit. People ballyhoo about Brimah, but he’s an elite shot-blocker. We’ve been the top shot-blocking program over the years, and Brimah is a top 3 shotblocker of all the players we’ve had. He can’t rebound, but alters and blocks so many shots around the rim, and deters others from even driving into the lane. In that sense, he’s a true defensive anchor. Brimah’s rebounding deficiencies are made up for by the fact that I have three other players who averaged over 6 RPG in their UConn careers. Charlie V averaged 8.3 RPG, Burrell pulled down 7.5 RPG, and even Ray Ray grabbed 6.8 RPG in his sophomore campaign (he averaged 6 RPG over his 3 years). Brimah will be free to alter every shot, and the team won’t need to worry about rebounding. It's also worth noting that outside of Donyell, Charlie V is the best non-center shotblocker UConn has had (1.7 BPG career), and Burrell chipped in more than a block per game as well. My team defends the paint and rim as well as anyone.

My team is extremely athletic, further shown by all eligible players playing at least eight seasons in the NBA (all first round picks, including 3 of the 6 highest drafted Huskies of All-Time). Not only did my players dominate at UConn, their games all translated into long NBA careers. My team has height, length, mobility, and shot-blocking down low, combined with size and athleticism on the perimeter. Burrell is the best all-around athlete in UConn history and can use his physical tools to act as a true lockdown defender. He averaged as many as 3.6 SPG and 1.3 BPG in his career, and was a terror on the fast break. He could create turnovers and turn them into easy transition points. While Brimah anchors my defense at the rim, Burrell wreaks havoc on the wing. Allen and Gordon were also good perimeter defenders, combining their good size and athleticism with quick hands (as evidenced by their lofty steal totals).

SUMMARY
No team in this field is as versatile, athletic, or skilled offensively as the roster I put together. My team will be an offensive juggernaut with elite spacing and shooting, led by two of our most explosive scorers ever. My defense boasts excellent athleticism and length, and protects the rim at an elite level while also forcing a ton of turnovers. I can win in an up-tempo game, and also in the half court.

And, on top of all of that, if the game is close at the end, my team will come through in the clutch. Need a perfect last second inbounds pass? Scotty Burrell is your man. Need a guard to create his own shot in a clutch situation? Ray Ray and Madison Square Gordon have it covered. Or maybe you need someone to clean up a miss and get a clutch putback? Brimah gives you that and a sweet karate chop. My players are just simply winners; all have won a championship either at the NCAA or NBA level. An All-Time Husky Draft championship is next.

MATCHUP
I think this was a matchup of the two best teams in the first draft. @UConnSwag11 put together a very nice roster with length and versatility. Ultimately, however, I believe I have a superior defensive unit, and also have more players capable of creating their own shot. Swag's wing players seem to be playing out of position, and that will cause some problems on both sides of the ball.

It's also worth noting that while Uncle Cliffy developed a nice outside shot in his NBA career, that was never really in his arsenal at UConn, as he only attempted 30 3s over his four year career (making just 10 at UConn). Additionally, while Daniels was great (albeit wildly inconsistent) for us as a stretch-4, he doesn't really possess much in the way of perimeter skills outside of his jumper.

The difference in this matchup will be my explosive backcourt and floor spacing. I don't think Swag's team has the perimeter defenders to keep up with my guards, and my team has elite shooting to make him pay when the help defense comes. Combine that with my team's superior defense, and my team should move on to the next round.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
AJ Price- 6'2 185. Senior lead guard who can run the half court offense or can push the temp to two great wings and two versatile and athletic bigs who can run the floor very well. Stats: 14.7 points, 4.7 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal, 40% fg and 3 pt, ft 70%

Rip Hamilton: 6-6 185. calhoun said rip could roll out of bed walk into the gym and score 20+. Second leading scorer in UCONN history. Great mid range game and three point shooting. Long athletic, rip was a killer and wanted the ball. Too savvy. Stats 22 pts, 5 rb, 3 assists,44% fg, 35% 3fg, 84% FT.

Deandre Daniels: 6'9 195... can shoot a great three ball at a great percentage and has an inside back to the basket game. Long and runs the floor well while finishing at the rim. Daniels length would cause problems, outside shooting and speed would be able to go past him. Stats: 13 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 47% fg, 42% 3fg, 79% ft.

Cliff Robinson: 6'10 225. big who can step out and shoot the ball or bang down low. Size and length to protect the rim and rebound the ball leading to a fast break. Stats: 20 pts, 8 Rebs,2 assists, 48% fg, 33% 3fg, 68% ft,1 block, 2 steals

Jake Voskhul:7' 245. 7 footer who is a great rim protector and has great size and weight. Stats: 9 pts, 6 rbs, 1 assist, 57% fg, 69% ft, 2 blocks, 1 steal

This team is an extremely veteran squad which can score and score in a hurry if need be. My team can score buckets in transition or slow it down and pound it inside. We also play great defense due to our size, IQ, athleticism, and experience. Fuchs does not have a true pg and with two scorers which one of them is going to give up the ball and make it move? There is the second leading scorer in school history on my roster. Fuchs has two great scorers but my whole team is balanced and 1-4 can put them on their back. Voskuhl will destroy Brimah both on the offensive end and defensive end. Price will find the mismatches and exploit them. He's run the offense but can get his own shot when he wants and the situation calls for it. We can also switch a lot and my bigs are versatile and athletic enough to cover out the 3 or down in the post. Also CV was only 6% higher than cliff and 6 points less. Cliff can beat CV or Brimah on the offensive end and guard them on the defensive. Fuchs team is good offensively if they can share the ball but arent the greatest defensively compared to my team. My team is really good on both ends of the floor and can play however the game needs to be played.

Edit: here are my links -
Price- ,

RIP- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhY4J_uZOQE

Daniels- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJarzGu8YVk

Cliff- so gangster he said no to youtube highlights

Voskuhl- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVnRLam2hI, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPlMpwQPlo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_qFu4TaLc

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I dont know how to do the links like fuchs does lol

Reaction Score
Jfuchs you are really trying hard to sell your team
I had written my spiel after the conclusion of the draft, and it's easy enough to copy and paste it into each matchup thread. When I participated in this draft last year, most people did a write-up of their team, so I imagined it would be the same here.

Plus, it's the offseason. I'll take any excuse to talk basketball - especially about our Huskies - even in a fictional matchup. Win or lose, I always enjoy these kinds of discussions.

Reaction Score
If I was too long-winded with my first post, I'll let the numbers do the talking here:
4Eg7v7D.png

*Bold number denotes a player wins his positional battle in a category.

I didn't calculate total percentages, but looking at the numbers, it's clear I would win FG% and 3PT%, and FT% would be close.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
my inside game would dominate both defensively and offensively. Still not sold that two scorers are going to get theirs especially against the players I have. One of them is going to have their numbers drop. Price might drop by a point or two but he's a true pg and would be running the offense, getting guys open, and get his shot when he wants to

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
AJ Price- 6'2 185. Senior lead guard who can run the half court offense or can push the temp to two great wings and two versatile and athletic bigs who can run the floor very well. Stats: 14.7 points, 4.7 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal, 40% fg and 3 pt, ft 70%

Rip Hamilton: 6-6 185. calhoun said rip could roll out of bed walk into the gym and score 20+. Second leading scorer in UCONN history. Great mid range game and three point shooting. Long athletic, rip was a killer and wanted the ball. Too savvy. Stats 22 pts, 5 rb, 3 assists,44% fg, 35% 3fg, 84% FT.

Deandre Daniels: 6'9 195... can shoot a great three ball at a great percentage and has an inside back to the basket game. Long and runs the floor well while finishing at the rim. Daniels length would cause problems, outside shooting and speed would be able to go past him. Stats: 13 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 47% fg, 42% 3fg, 79% ft.

Cliff Robinson: 6'10 225. big who can step out and shoot the ball or bang down low. Size and length to protect the rim and rebound the ball leading to a fast break. Stats: 20 pts, 8 Rebs,2 assists, 48% fg, 33% 3fg, 68% ft,1 block, 2 steals

Jake Voskhul:7' 245. 7 footer who is a great rim protector and has great size and weight. Stats: 9 pts, 6 rbs, 1 assist, 57% fg, 69% ft, 2 blocks, 1 steal

This team is an extremely veteran squad which can score and score in a hurry if need be. My team can score buckets in transition or slow it down and pound it inside. We also play great defense due to our size, IQ, athleticism, and experience. Fuchs does not have a true pg and with two scorers which one of them is going to give up the ball and make it move? There is the second leading scorer in school history on my roster. Fuchs has two great scorers but my whole team is balanced and 1-4 can put them on their back. Voskuhl will destroy Brimah both on the offensive end and defensive end. Price will find the mismatches and exploit them. He's run the offense but can get his own shot when he wants and the situation calls for it. We can also switch a lot and my bigs are versatile and athletic enough to cover out the 3 or down in the post. Also CV was only 6% higher than cliff and 6 points less. Cliff can beat CV or Brimah on the offensive end and guard them on the defensive. Fuchs team is good offensively if they can share the ball but arent the greatest defensively compared to my team. My team is really good on both ends of the floor and can play however the game needs to be played.

Edit: here are my links -
Price- ,

RIP- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhY4J_uZOQE

Daniels- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJarzGu8YVk

Cliff- so gangster he said no to youtube highlights

Voskuhl- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVnRLam2hI, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPlMpwQPlo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_qFu4TaLc

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
my inside game would dominate both defensively and offensively. Still not sold that two scorers are going to get theirs especially against the players I have. One of them is going to have their numbers drop. Price might drop by a point or two but he's a true pg and would be running the offense, getting guys open, and get his shot when he wants to

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@UConnSwag11 I notice you quote a lot posts without saying anything - just curious...why?
for this thread idk how to do those tables like you guys so to contribute to the convo ill just share what i already said unless i have something new to add... in other threads if someone says something i agree with or makes a good point ill reply what they said and not say anything to show i like/agree with what they say

Reaction Score
Alright, apparently it will not let me edit posts after a certain time frame.

upload_2015-7-15_21-27-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-15_21-24-27.png
    upload_2015-7-15_21-24-27.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
Reaction Score
What's going to happen when Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva play each other in the title game?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@jfuchs91 who guards dominant bigs on this team? Brima gets abused in the post whenever he faces anyone decent, and CV I don't think was a great defender. Also who's distributing on this team?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@jfuchs91 who guards dominant bigs on this team? Brima gets abused in the post whenever he faces anyone decent, and CV I don't think was a great defender. Also who's distributing on this team?
That's what I'm saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01