Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
JFuchs vs. TCF. Thank god this is finally over.

JFUCHS:
G: Ben Gordon
G: Ray Allen
F: Scotty Burrell
F: Charlie Villanueva
C: Amida Brimah

TCF:
G: Khaled El-Amin
G: Ben Gordon
F: Niels Giffey
F: Donny Marshall
F: Charlie Villanueva

Just ***ing vote.

Reaction Score
I love both teams but I gotta give it to JFuchs. Ray and Ben are 2 top 10 players in UConn history. Burrell is the most athletic player in UConn history. Charlie V is a big man who can play the post and shoot from outside. And last but not least, AB is a fantastic rim protector. TCF has a great team as well but I think the talent of JFuchs' team is unbeatable.

Reaction Score
I'll refrain from posting my team's whole write-up again, and just provide a link to it in case you haven't seen it yet.

Here are the team stat comparisons and then I'll make a few quick points:
SkCUrCf.png

*Bold numbers denote a positional win in a category.
  • Don't sleep on Scott Burrell. He's the only athlete in history to be drafted in the first round in two major US sports (basketball and baseball), and contributed all over the floor at UConn. He filled up a stat-sheet like few others.
  • Brimah is an elite source of rim protection and efficient offense. He has both the highest block% and highest FG% in UConn history.
  • Too much is made over my team's lack of a "pure point." Gordon was an underrated facilitator (same career APG as Kemba, Moore, higher than Boat), and I have three capable passers on the perimeter who averaged over 3 assists per game.

Reaction Score
This is the first game I've actually caught during the voting window. I think it's a tough call, but I gave the nod to tcf. While Fuchs has arguably 2 of the best scorers to wear a uconn jersey neither runs an offense as well as kea. In their respective situations I think bg does better on tcf team since he can play off the ball. Tcf wins the front court battle because while Amida owns the paint on D, both tcf guys can pull him outside and then either take him off the dribble or drain the 3. Fuchs wins the match up on the wing, but I think Neils helps keep it just close enough.

Overall a very interesting match up but I think team tcf takes it

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
cant believe my team didnt make it... anyway, both teams 3-5 are not that good, they're the same... comes down to the guards and you can look at it different ways... wont say who im voting for because i havent all tourney

Reaction Score
Everyone in Division 1 that let Ray Allen fall to the end of the first round - why?

I was torn between taking Ray or Donyell with the 7th pick. I chose Donyell because there are more guards to choose from later on than bigs.

Reaction Score
UConnSwag11 said:
cant believe my team didnt make it... anyway, both teams 3-5 are not that good, they're the same... comes down to the guards and you can look at it different ways... wont say who im voting for because i havent all tourney
?? Scott Burrell was awesome.

Donny Marshall was pretty darn good.

Charlie Villanueva was a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
I was torn between taking Ray or Donyell with the 7th pick. I chose Donyell because there are more guards to choose from later on than bigs.
Lots of people here clearly either don't remember how amazing Donyell was because of his meh pro career (at peak, in college, better all around than Allen), or they let the missed Florida FTs cloud their judgement.

Your calculus was my calculus regarding guards (deep bench), except Allen. Given a choice, in this game, you have to pick him...probably with the 2nd or 3rd pick. That said, how did the person with the 7th pick have a CHOICE between Allen or Marshall? That's crazy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
  • Don't sleep on Scott Burrell. He's the only athlete in history to be drafted in the first round in two major US sports (basketball and baseball), and contributed all over the floor at UConn. He filled up a stat-sheet like few others.

Sigh...
I give you (to almost no one's surprise) UConn's own Walt Dropo:

While at the University of Connecticut Dropo played for the football team, basketball team and baseball team. Dropo left UConn as the school's all-time leading scorer in basketball. Dropo was drafted in the first round of the 1947 BAA Draft by the Providence Steamrollers with the fourth overall pick. Dropo was also drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 9th round of the 1946 NFL Draft.[1]

Listed at 6'5", 220 lb (100 kg), Walter turned down offers from the Bears[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Dropo#cite_note-Chicago_Bears-1'][1]
and the Providence Steamrollers, in order to sign with the Red Sox as an amateur free agent in 1947.[2] He debuted on April 19, 1949, and in 11 games batted .146 (6-for-41).[/URL]

Reaction Score
Sigh...

While at the University of Connecticut Dropo played for the football team, basketball team and baseball team. Dropo left UConn as the school's all-time leading scorer in basketball. Dropo was drafted in the first round of the 1947 BAA Draft by the Providence Steamrollers with the fourth overall pick. Dropo was also drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 9th round of the 1946 NFL Draft.[1]

Listed at 6'5", 220 lb (100 kg), Walter turned down offers from the Bears
[1]
and the Providence Steamrollers, in order to sign with the Red Sox as an amateur free agent in 1947.[2] He debuted on April 19, 1949, and in 11 games batted .146 (6-for-41).
The best athlete in UConn history always seems to come down to Burrell vs. Dropo, but what I said about Burrell is true. He's the only athlete to be drafted in the first round of two of the four big US sports.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The best athlete in UConn history always seems to come down to Burrell vs. Dropo, but what I said about Burrell is true. He's the only athlete to be drafted in the first round of two of the four big US sports.
That Pat kid for notre dame who got drafted this year could throw close to a hundred miles per hour fast ball. Does that make him a better basketball player? No, they're unrelated. Just like Burrell being really good at another sport does not support his argument as a basketball player. That being said, I'm not taking anything away from how he played at UConn and his stat stuffing ways

CL82

Reaction Score
Did you read the quoted text? Dropo was drafted in football and basketball, but he chose to play for the Red Sox. But I agree, both were amazing athletes.

Reaction Score
No offense to jfcuhs I didn't vote for his once I believe. This team needed a guard to get the ball Gordon and Allen. None of those guys are pg's and pg play is crucial.

Congrats though! Fun voting and seeing different teams.

Reaction Score
Did any team have Nadav or doron?
Each side had a team with them, for sure. I had Nadav, and was hoping to snag Doron the next round.

Honest to God I thought @joober jones 's team was the best. Marcus Williams, Rip Hamilton, Rashad Anderson, Kevin Freeman, and Hilton Armstrong...that's a ****ing squad right there.

That team looked crazy good, too.

I thought my defensive juggernaut might get deeper, but minicoops team was good, too.

Always a fun exercise. Thanks for setting it up and running it, @CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Did you read the quoted text? Dropo was drafted in football and basketball, but he chose to play for the Red Sox. But I agree, both were amazing athletes.
I did. The difference is Burrell was first round in both drafts.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lots of people here clearly either don't remember how amazing Donyell was because of his meh pro career (at peak, in college, better all around than Allen), or they let the missed Florida FTs cloud their judgement.

Your calculus was my calculus regarding guards (deep bench), except Allen. Given a choice, in this game, you have to pick him...probably with the 2nd or 3rd pick. That said, how did the person with the 7th pick have a CHOICE between Allen or Marshall? That's crazy.

Donyell was a freakin stud in college. Just look at his stats; they are ridiculous.

And Yell did it in a time where college basketball was played at a higher level, w less guys leaving early. Sort of like Pedro Martinez pitching in the steroid Era.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sigh...

Listed at 6'5", 220 lb (100 kg), Walter turned down offers from the Bears
[1]
and the Providence Steamrollers, in order to sign with the Red Sox as an amateur free agent in 1947.[2] He debuted on April 19, 1949, and in 11 games batted .146 (6-for-41).

It's just really hard to get excited about pre mid-1960s (integration) basketball. That's just my opinion though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I did. The difference is Burrell was first round in both drafts.

Yeah, but you have to think that 3 pro sports > 2, regardless of draft position.

Reaction Score
Donyell was a freakin stud in college. Just look at his stats; they are ridiculous.

And Yell did it in a time where college basketball was played at a higher level, w less guys leaving early. Sort of like Pedro Martinez pitching in the steroid Era.
Yeah. It's crazy to think about how good he was in 1993-94: 25 and 9 on 51% shooting and 3 bpg. And that's a year when his 3 point shooting took a dive (37% in 1992-93, down to 31% the next year on 2x more attempts per game).

Guy had, perhaps, the best year we've ever seen here. Ray had two really really good years, and his teams were better at their peak than was Donyell's. But, on a one year comparison, only Kemba compares to Donyell. His leadership and team's championship will mean we consider him #1 on a per season basis, but if Donyell hit one FT...

CL82

Reaction Score
It's just really hard to get excited about pre mid-1960s (integration) basketball. That's just my opinion though.
I guess, but that issue was athleticism.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised my team didn't even make it past the first round. I had 2 top 10 players in UConn history (Chris Smith and Donyell), 2 very decent wings (Dyson and Stix), and a very good power forward in Donny Marshall. It is what it is though... I wouldn't have made it past the second round against JFuchs anyway.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but you have to think that 3 pro sports > 2, regardless of draft position.

One pro sport in the 90s > 7 pro sports in the 40s. If you could get a time machine and put prime Dropo and prime Burrell anywhere to compete in an athletic competition, Burrell would mop the floor with Dropo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom