Hurley's HOF Case | The Boneyard

Hurley's HOF Case

Reaction Score
He could have up to 20 years left in his career, but what else would Hurley need to accomplish, if anything, to merit induction in the Hall of Fame?

A guy like Billy Donovan is a reasonable comp -- he won back to back championships fairly early in his college coaching career, but also was more accomplished before that. He also had a handful of Elite 8 appearances and one very notable Final Four appearance (at least to us) afterward. Donovan is considered a likely HOFer just based on his college coaching resume, ignoring his NBA record.

Another comp is Jay Wright -- he won 2 out of 3 and also a handful of second weekend appearances including two more Final Fours, while winning the Big East like 8 years out of 9. He is already in the Hall.

A 3rd championship at any time is slam-dunk sufficient, but not necessary, for Hurley's HOF case. He should also get there with another ~10 years that includes at least one more Final Four and 3-4 Sweet 16/Elite 8-type seasons while winning the conference a good portion of the time.

I'm not convinced that if he fell into the abyss tomorrow that what he's done so far is enough though, i.e. just on the basis of back-to-back championships.

Reaction Score
What he's missing right now is the longevity. Right now he's at ~300 D1 wins. If he hits 600, he's a clear shoe-in. Hitting 500 in the next decade (so an average of ~20/year) would likely put him in.

Obviously another championship would do it too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What he's missing right now is the longevity. Right now he's at ~300 D1 wins. If he hits 600, he's a clear shoe-in. Hitting 500 in the next decade (so an average of ~20/year) would likely put him in.

Obviously another championship would do it too.
While he could change his mind, I recall him saying multiple times he's only going until age 60-ish, so it's a tight window to get to 600, and more unlikely than not. So 500+ is the more reasonable goal. And pretty much the only way he falls out of the conversation is missing the tourney 8 or 9 times over the next decade. Also more unlikely than not.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So he's switching from the dragon underwear to thongs? TMI :eek:
Bruce Harwood Happy Cry GIF

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
So he's switching from the dragon underwear to thongs? TMI :eek:
He swings, he connects, it's a drive to deep left field and it's out of here...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's not in if he retired today, but he's not retiring today.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Actually, I think this is a more interesting question. The original q has so many future what-ifs.

But if he retired tomorrow? Would he? Should he?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The basketball HoF seems like the broadest set of criteria that would allow someone to be inducted.

If you factor in his playing career, HS coaching career, then of course college, I think he's in.

Reaction Score
I think the back to back championships almost seals the deal for him getting in but if he wins a few close games he's a lock !!

Reaction Score
He wouldn’t need to win more titles but he’s a young guy with a lot of drive, so there’s no need to worry about it or even discuss it at this point.

Reaction Score
Lock. Unless he decides to quit coaching tomorrow. Seriously. Even if he has 10 sub-500 years he's still a lock. Coach just 5 more years he's in, no matter what the record. He may be in now.

Reactions: caw

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually, I think he might be just under that hypothetical because the narrative would be ending with back to back double digit championships the second by the whitest margin of victories ever. That's one hell of a story.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Actually, I think he might be just under that hypothetical because the narrative would be ending with back to back double digit championships the second by the whitest margin of victories ever. That's one hell of a story.

Three white starters is the "whitest" margin???

Didn't even know that was a thing.

And why is it "one hell of a story"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom