Hurley Roster Breakdown, Player by Player, Hartford Courant Dom Amore | The Boneyard

Hurley Roster Breakdown, Player by Player, Hartford Courant Dom Amore

Reaction Score

Really nice descriptive brief on every player. May have already been posted, not sure, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he is high on Jackson. up to 210lbs, shooting better than expected. Could be "one of the more impactful freshman in the country."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people will be surprised about the Springs comments . There were a lot of board comments about not sleeping on Richie. Hurley is telling us to at least take a nap. He's only a red shirt freshman though. Plenty of time to improve.

Hurley really is a great leader though. I like how he was honest, but there was no throwing under the proverbial bus. He took the blame with Josh's weight last year.

Finally, I thought the end comment about the Big East was interesting. Sounds like he's a bit irritated in the fine line between people saying the the Big East helped (which he acknowledged) vs. some people basically insinuating that it's the only reason he's recruiting well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm really excited that Martin can play this season. I feel like he brings a presence that this team has not had in a while. There have been so many games in the past few seasons that we just needed a big guy to get physical and mix it up a little, and we just have not had that.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Springs needs one of those monster performances when he goes in to spell someone, that forces Hurley to keep him on the court. Kinda like Whalley had last year. But his task is harder because he's got a skilled crowd ahead of him, so his opportunities to impress in real gametime minutes will be fewer and shorter than Isaiah had.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If there’s one thing that worries me about this team it might be that we’re *too* deep. We played at our best last year cutting our lineup to 8 guys. It can be a struggle trying to find the right lineups and playing time for everyone. Especially when Akok comes back. Who’s going to be the odd man out?

I almost wish that Martin’s waiver didn’t go through and we could’ve waited until next year to play him.

Cole/Gaffney
Bouknight/Adams
Martin/Jackson
Whaley/Polley
Carlton/Sanogo

That’s a lot of minutes to figure out before we insert a 5* recruit back in the lineup. Hoping Hurley can find a good balance here quick.

Reaction Score
Nuggets I found interesting:

On Gaffney:
"I don’t think people really understand how talented he is, athleticallly, how much upside he has. "
-I liked him fine last year as a freshman as a stabilizing point guard presence, but he didn't really flash as much as I would have liked athletically and his shot was not consistent. I think @superjohn was the loudest voice I remember that was touting his NBA potential based on athleticism, so it's good to know that Hurley still agrees. He mentioned it twice, specifically his athleticism. Sounds like he's trying to challenge him a bit.

On Cole:
“That’s a heck of a point guard competition right there, to see who’s gonna start the opener (Gaffney or Cole). I’m very comfortable playing multiple guards or even starting two point guards, so those guys will play together a lot.
-According to that poll thread, more people were penciling Cole into the starting lineup based on the way Hurley was speaking about him in the offseason, but sounds like this will very much be an open competition. Most of us did predict correctly that they'd play together a bunch.

On Adams:
“Once he gets healthy and can get back on the court with us, he’s gonna have a chance as a junior to start, or at the worst, he’s shown us that, off the bench, he’s a guy that could give us starter’s minutes and play a key role on a good team."
-Interesting to see Hurley putting Adams in essentially the same tier as Martin (because he's not starting over Bouk...). Not sure if he's being nice since he's such a hard worker or if he really does have a chance to start. And that brings us to...

On Polley:
“He’s a critical, critical guy for us as a stretch four-man. We really like him, especially recovering from the knee injury, I think it’s the best position for him to focus on this year... He’s gained a lot physically, he’s just got to knock the rust off."
-Sounds like Polley is going to be playing a lot more 4 this year. I showed the stats in a previous thread that he played the 4 25% of his time last year. Sounds like more like 50/50 or even more stretch 4 this year vs. at the 3. He's even listed as "forward" while Martin is listed as "wing". Hopefully that "gained a lot physically" translates into rebounds.

On Sanogo:
"To be able to get a guy of his caliber, a center, frontcourt player that could play some four because of the work he’s done with his body — he’s up to the high-230’s; he came in at close to 268, 270 "
-Thinking it's going to be Polley/Sanogo at the 4 a lot this year, with Whaley in the mix as well. Small vs. big lineups, essentially. At least until Akok comes back. It's his easiest path to minutes, and we want to get him minutes. When Akok comes back, maybe he'll have beaten out Carlton for majority of backup C minutes.

@husky429 already mentioned the AJ quotes. If his shooting and body are that good already, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Martin by the start of the season. Dynamic players and passers are always more important than guys who are just good athletes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reading between the tea leaves. Mentions Akok and Adams needing to come back from injuries. Mentions Brown and Springs needing some seasoning.
Talks about Polley as a stretch 4. Talks about Whaley being good at the 4 and the 5. Talks about Sanogo at 4 and 5. Talks about Carlton dropping the weight.

Mentions Jackson and Sanogo being versatile and ready to compete right away.

Here's what I now think the starting five will be based on injury progression, practices starting and players available.

Cole
Gaffney
Bouk
Polley
Whaley

Off the bench right away- Martin, Carlton, Jackson, Sanogo.

That's nine deep. Each of these bench players except Carlton can play more than one position. Depending on match ups, foul trouble or performance, the players on the bench can replace starters at more than one position.

That's nine that are ready to play. Adams and Akok still have time to continue rehabbing, get healthy and get in the rhythm.
Springs and Brown have a year to develop.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hurley says......

"I don’t think people really understand how talented he is, athleticallly, how much upside he has. "

UConn fan comes back with......

Nuggets I found interesting:

On Gaffney:
-I liked him fine last year as a freshman as a stabilizing point guard presence, but he didn't really flash as much as I would have liked athletically and his shot was not consistent. I think @superjohn was the loudest voice I remember that was touting his NBA potential based on athleticism, so it's good to know that Hurley still agrees. He mentioned it twice, specifically his athleticism. Sounds like he's trying to challenge him a bit.

Can't make this stuff up.

Reaction Score
Hurley says......

UConn fan comes back with......

Can't make this stuff up.

Yeah I was agreeing with Hurley's assessment of many Husky fans, myself included. I was commenting directly on that quote to say I'm in the camp that hasn't seen any more than brief flashes. Hurley is only pointing it out because he's aware of a disparity between a pervasive public opinion based on the games and what he sees in practice and recruiting. Taken in context with this quote:
It’s just, when the lights come on, will it click with him where he develops that edge, that desperation you have to play with and compete with every second of every possession that you’re on the court.”
it paints a picture of a guy with potential who hasn't quite made his athleticism functional in games at the college level yet.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Cole
Gaffney
Bouk
Polley
Whaley
I've no doubt that we'll see a lot of Cole and Gaffney on the court together, but I don't think Hurley will start them together very often, and certainly not early in the season. I'm guessing that the starting line up at the start of the season will be

Gaffney
Bouk
Martin
Polley
Whaley

And if he doesn't maintain the energetic, almost frenetic play of his last game, Polley will have the shortest leash, and we might see a shift with either Carlton or Sanongo moving into the starting lineup and Whalley moving to the 4. The big question is hw soon Akok comes back and what happens then.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
If there’s one thing that worries me about this team it might be that we’re *too* deep. We played at our best last year cutting our lineup to 8 guys. It can be a struggle trying to find the right lineups and playing time for everyone. Especially when Akok comes back. Who’s going to be the odd man out?

I almost wish that Martin’s waiver didn’t go through and we could’ve waited until next year to play him.

Cole/Gaffney
Bouknight/Adams
Martin/Jackson
Whaley/Polley
Carlton/Sanogo

That’s a lot of minutes to figure out before we insert a 5* recruit back in the lineup. Hoping Hurley can find a good balance here quick.
I think about that as well. It's a good problem to have I guess but my gut says, "who will be the first to transfer due to lack of minutes?".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reading between the tea leaves. Mentions Akok and Adams needing to come back from injuries. Mentions Brown and Springs needing some seasoning.
Talks about Polley as a stretch 4. Talks about Whaley being good at the 4 and the 5. Talks about Sanogo at 4 and 5. Talks about Carlton dropping the weight.

Mentions Jackson and Sanogo being versatile and ready to compete right away.

Here's what I now think the starting five will be based on injury progression, practices starting and players available.

Cole
Gaffney
Bouk
Polley
Whaley

Off the bench right away- Martin, Carlton, Jackson, Sanogo.

That's nine deep. Each of these bench players except Carlton can play more than one position. Depending on match ups, foul trouble or performance, the players on the bench can replace starters at more than one position.

That's nine that are ready to play. Adams and Akok still have time to continue rehabbing, get healthy and get in the rhythm.
Springs and Brown have a year to develop.

I really don't like that lineup at all. But everybody has a different view. Bouk is not a 3, and Polley is a weak 4 and Whaley a weak 5. Our rebounding would be awful. He called Cole an "offensive" PG. If Gaff wins out it will be on D.

I expect Hurley to emphasize defense and rebounding. I do not want to see Polley at the 4 with Bouk at the 3. So I see:
Cole/Gaffney
Bouk
Martin
Whaley
Josh

If you need more shooting, you shift Polley to 4 and Whaley to 5.
First off the bench: Cole or Gaff, Polley, Sanogo, Adams.

Reaction Score
Last season DH was looking for JG to be efficient with the ball (fewer TOs) than other PG choice he had.. JG was not 100% physically until mid to later part of the season.. He was efficient and we did win games.. Now that he's got his legs and explosion back.. With added upper body strength.. He'll be a tough matchup in the BE..RJ and JG are making themselves better players by going at it in practice.. Lil Sool taking notes..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I've no doubt that we'll see a lot of Cole and Gaffney on the court together, but I don't think Hurley will start them together very often, and certainly not early in the season. I'm guessing that the starting line up at the start of the season will be

Gaffney
Bouk
Martin
Polley
Whaley

And if he doesn't maintain the energetic, almost frenetic play of his last game, Polley will have the shortest leash, and we might see a shift with either Carlton or Sanongo moving into the starting lineup and Whalley moving to the 4. The big question is hw soon Akok comes back and what happens then.

I agree that Polley may be the odd man out. Especially when Akok gets back. The depth of this team should allow us to be really aggressive defensively though. Seeing our bigs and athletes we can go back to leading the country in block shots hopefully. Whaley, Carlton, Akok, and Sanogo are going to be some big trees to get through. Still have Brown and Springs for if we get in big foul trouble. Way too excited to see this team get out there and play. Hopefully our guards can help put everything together.

Reaction Score
I really don't like that lineup at all. But everybody has a different view. Bouk is not a 3, and Polley is a weak 4 and Whaley a weak 5. Our rebounding would be awful. He called Cole an "offensive" PG. If Gaff wins out it will be on D.

I expect Hurley to emphasize defense and rebounding. I do not want to see Polley at the 4 with Bouk at the 3. So I see:
Cole/Gaffney
Bouk
Martin
Whaley
Josh

If you need more shooting, you shift Polley to 4 and Whaley to 5.
First off the bench: Cole or Gaff, Polley, Sanogo, Adams.

How is Whaley a weak 5? He is out best 5. And Hurley himself said the advanced stats back up that Whaley plays much better at the 5 than the 4.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How is Whaley a weak 5? He is out best 5. And Hurley himself said the advanced stats back up that Whaley plays much better at the 5 than the 4.

Because he is too small and gets steamrolled by any legit 5 out there (which not every team has). He was unplayable at the 5 against some opponents last year. Fortunately, we have other options in those scenarios. This whole roster provides great flexibility. I don't trust those stats because he simply played better late, when he played the 5 more. He also played better when not playing with Josh last year. Will it be the same with Sanogo? Or with a more mobile Josh? We don't really know. I feel much better with Whaley at the 5 if Sanogo or Akok is the 4. Polley at the 4? No I don't like that.

Reaction Score
Because he is too small and gets steamrolled by any legit 5 out there (which not every team has). He was unplayable at the 5 against some opponents last year. Fortunately, we have other options in those scenarios. This whole roster provides great flexibility. I don't trust those stats because he simply played better late, when he played the 5 more. He also played better when not playing with Josh last year. Will it be the same with Sanogo? Or with a more mobile Josh? We don't really know. I feel much better with Whaley at the 5 if Sanogo or Akok is the 4. Polley at the 4? No I don't like that.

Hurley literally said that Whaley plays much better at the 5 and that he is a near lock to start.

Is it even reading tea leaves at this point. Seems pretty obvious to me. Whether you agree with Hurley's assessment or not

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One more reading between the line comment about the PG competition. On several occasions I've heard Hurley compliment Cole on his offensive capabilities and his ability to work with others on offense. I don't know if I've seen a Hurley quote about Cole's defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom