Hurley on SportsCenter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on SportsCenter

Reaction Score
For those who recall the interviews from the 2014 Calhoun documentary, there were guys on our best teams who wanted to leave after they got to Storrs. Voskuhl wanted to bail to Arizona because he was fed up with Calhoun's demands, Tate George was gonna bail to Marquette because he was sick of getting yelled at. Ricky Moore noted that there were more that bailed who weren't interviewed.

I've long thought JC somewhat abandoned the focus on character and perserverance after the 2004 NC and went after 5-stars who might've been softer in the toughness department for a few years. I imagine that's an unpopular opinion here, but I also don't think I'll be worrying about DH making that same mistake.
What and where can I find the 2014 Calhoun documentary?

Reaction Score
I think he will hit the portal to fill holes as he has in last couple years. I think he has adapted well to the “free agency” aspect of basketball. Look at Newton, Diarra, Calcaterra and Spencer as examples. I trust this man whatever he thinks is best route.
One could make a case that what held Hurley/us back, on the court, over his first 4 years was the flip side of his focus on building a culture:
1) loyalty to the Ollie recruits who wanted to stay
2) resistance to using the portal

Now he's bringing in his own HS recruits and, with a strong culture in place, trusts that bringing in new guys won't disrupt it, or could even enhance it with the right personalities (e.g. Spencer) coming on board.

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, but I've gotten over it mostly by looking at the development of Stewart and Ball, Karaban and Samson. I already feel pretty good about next year. I think Hurley wants to recruit a certain type of skilled, but coachable player that fits the culture, and he wants continuity. He also shows young players that he will grow them into successful, NBA-caliber talent.

I love what he's doing, and how he's doing it. I think next year he'll have a lot more cache on the recruiting trail. You can't be a high school player and not be impressed when you watch this team. Yes, he comes off as a little squirrely sometimes, but when you observe the relationship he has with his players, and you hear the media rave about his practices, how can that not be attractive to recruits who want to maximize their talent while playing in a fun system with a high chance for success?
Yeah, agree and I have zero criticism of Hurley, am joyous with what he has done, and Castle was a 5 star. I realize that the star ranking is not an end all but I always wonder why Duke has 3 five stars coming next year, Kentucky stocks them like crazy and our program is worthy of those recruits wanting to come here. Maybe we are at a reflection point and they will in the future. Hurley is not likely turning those players away. He recruits very well but not yet at that level and that is not a fault of his I'm quite sure.

Reaction Score
haven’t watched sportscenter in a few years, when/how did SVP develop that new york accent lol
i catch some lead-ins to his show after a late game and he doesnt normally talk like that. he prob thought the accent would make hurley like him more being from joyzee city and all.

Reaction Score
So long as whomever comes in is good with averaging 15-5-4 and competing for some hardware. Please sign here……
Perhaps he feels that it's easier to teach bb skills than it is to teach Dawg

Reaction Score
"I wanted to show a sign of strength to our fan base." We know he meant The_Boneyard.
A thought occurred to me while reading this thread. There is chatter that a purported blue blood may court Danny to resurrect its program. We all know who that is. Since we have a unique and special coach who is breaking the mold as to a winning formula for sustained success, would other programs grant total control to Danny to implement his blueprint for success? Discuss.

Reaction Score
Love Hurley and Husky fans have never had a time like this but I have a question:
In 2014 we won the title and I envisioned a line of studs lined up by Coach Ollie's door. We were under siege with internal problems, academics sanctions, etc. but we not only didn't cash in but we went into a dive. Our talent rated well wasn't great.
Regardless of our finish this season, with Hurley's now nationally recognized status as one of if not the best in college hoops will we see a recruiting windfall on the order of say Duke. We lost Flagg and Hurley don't get me wrong is recruiting quite well with the "right" kind of players but does he get to say another level of incoming talent even as next year's class is good?
Currently we are #25 with 2 four stars.
I hope he can keep getting the right character types. Not just Kentucky one and dones. Even Castle, although he’s a one and done, he’s a great kid and a great teammate. But that’s a rare find. How many Steph Castles are out there?
I hope DH is able to continue to cultivate talented ”character” kids. We’ve had a lot of them.

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, but I've gotten over it mostly by looking at the development of Stewart and Ball, Karaban and Samson. I already feel pretty good about next year. I think Hurley wants to recruit a certain type of skilled, but coachable player that fits the culture, and he wants continuity. He also shows young players that he will grow them into successful, NBA-caliber talent.

I love what he's doing, and how he's doing it. I think next year he'll have a lot more cache on the recruiting trail. You can't be a high school player and not be impressed when you watch this team. Yes, he comes off as a little squirrely sometimes, but when you observe the relationship he has with his players, and you hear the media rave about his practices, how can that not be attractive to recruits who want to maximize their talent while playing in a fun system with a high chance for success?
Don’t you think AK is gone?

Reaction Score
No, but it could just be wishful thinking.
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom